Ethics isn't perfect!

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

HexHammer

Ethics isn't perfect!

Post by HexHammer »

Everyday I see criminals thrive, big criminal bosses goes unhinderd around and do their evil deeds, narco flows in the street, overfilled prisons that doesn't make good law abiding citizens, but only is a training institusion for aspiring criminals.

Our current ethics makes too leanient punishment, new views on punishment are needed, to prevent reoccuring crime.
Impenitent

Re: Ethics isn't perfect!

Post by Impenitent »

want to prevent crime?

buy a gun

-Imp
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Impenitent wrote:want to prevent crime?

buy a gun
Are you trying to be funny? USA have had guns for civilians for centuries, yet crime hasn't excatly declined, quite the contrary.
James Markham

Post by James Markham »

Surely you don't call that philosophy? Simply stating the obvious and saying its bad is just simply idle moaning. As a general rule of thumb, if you don't have anything intelligent to say, don't say nothing!
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

HexHammer wrote:
Impenitent wrote:want to prevent crime?

buy a gun
Are you trying to be funny? USA have had guns for civilians for centuries, yet crime hasn't excatly declined, quite the contrary.
not funny at all... the police interfere and liberal lawyers coddle criminals

-Imp
uwot

Post by uwot »

Impenitent wrote: liberal lawyers coddle criminals
Really? Do conservative lawyers send their own clients to jail?
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

uwot wrote:
Impen is right, money talks and criminals walk.
Ritch criminals can afford good lawyers and have an easy time with the justice system.
uwot

Post by uwot »

HexHammer wrote:Impen is right, money talks and criminals walk.
Ritch criminals can afford good lawyers and have an easy time with the justice system.
I see. So a good lawyer is a liberal lawyer.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

uwot wrote:
HexHammer wrote:Impen is right, money talks and criminals walk.
I see. So a good lawyer is a liberal lawyer.
He's not talking abot politics (me thinks) but liberal as being relatex towards crime or should one say neutral, as in only caring for money.
uwot

Post by uwot »

HexHammer wrote:He's not talking abot politics (me thinks) but liberal as being relatex towards crime or should one say neutral, as in only caring for money.
As I understand law, at least in the UK, it is up to the plaintiff and their team to prove guilt. Defence lawyers are employed to make that as difficult as possible, it is not their fault if the prosecution is incompetent. I believe the theory is that the burden of proof makes it less likely that innocent people are banged up. The side effect is that more guilty people get off. Either way, lawyers make money.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

uwot wrote:
no, liberal lawyers write lax enforcement laws

-Imp
Skip

Post by Skip »

It would be interesting, not to mention informative, to compare a variety of different attitudes toward crime and their correlation to the incidence of crime. For example, do harsh punishments deter criminals? Say, just within the US at present: Do death penalty states have less capital crime than states that do not kill prisoners? Then, you could compare recidivism and length of sentence. Then, you could compare the crime rates, by type and severity of offense, between tough and lax legal systems. Then, you could compare crime statistics - violent, white collar, domestic, grand larceny, etc - and civilian gun ownership statistics. Wouldn't that be interesting?

And when you've done all that, you might even consider other factors that cause or prevent, encourage or deter criminal behaviour. That would be really informative.

Meanwhile, I'm inclined to agree, at least provisionally, that ethics isn't perfect.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Impenitent wrote:no, liberal lawyers write lax enforcement laws

-Imp
I presume you mean in the US. Do your lawyers really write the laws? Is there no conflict of interest? What does your senate do? Given that the US has the highest rates of incarceration of any country on the planet, does living there increase your disposition towards criminality, or are American Liberals not very liberal by international standards?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

uwot wrote:
Impenitent wrote:no, liberal lawyers write lax enforcement laws

-Imp
I presume you mean in the US. Do your lawyers really write the laws? Is there no conflict of interest? What does your senate do? Given that the US has the highest rates of incarceration of any country on the planet, does living there increase your disposition towards criminality, or are American Liberals not very liberal by international standards?
yes, lawyers write the laws... they are (mostly) the ones elected as representatives and senators

American liberals are (fascists who call themselves leftist) totalitarians, same as American progressives, they believe that government knows how to run your life better than you.

-Imp
uwot

Post by uwot »

That's what reverend Bob says. He's hung like a donkey, you know, so it must be true.