Why a new approach, a new Ethics, is NECESSARY

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

prof

Why a new approach, a new Ethics, is NECESSARY

Post by prof »

If you are reading this it is safe to assume you are alive. If the question came up, “Do you want to continue living?” under normal circumstances many, if not most, would answer: “Yes, I want to live, and I want to live well.” An empirical survey would find that most normal people want to be healthy, and they want to be content. They would like to have some leisure time to enjoy, and they want to be able to freely pursue a freely-chosen project, a game, a sport, or a hobby. If given a choice, most want harmonious human relationships.

For that Ethics is necessary. It shows how to achieve those goals, how to get ‘into the flow’, how to use one’s capacities, how to express ‘the inner artist.’ It teaches you how to be fully yourself. You, I, and everyone – we all need Ethics. This means we all need to know our SEIs as well as we know our ABCs. Study Ethics and you will understand what SEI means. http://tinyurl.com/mfcgzfz

“Science” – according to its root, scientia in Latin – can be taken to mean: a field of study with practical, empirical implications. In this sense, Ethics may be said to be a ‘science,’ since it is designed to be a body of useful information that helps us function better. Here is a link to the basics of this new science: http://tinyurl.com/mfcgzfz
If you haven’t yet read them, or need to review them, see also – here at the Ethical Theory Forum - the threads “Ethics in a Nutshell” and “The Beautiful Simplicity of Ethical Concepts.”

As will become rather clear as one delves into the new paradigm further, since the principles of Ethics are in the self-interest of every individual, it would not be rational to ignore them. [A list of many of them is found on the closing pages of Aspects of Ethics: views through a new lens http://tinyurl.com/36u6gpo .]

Experience shows that it would be irrational to violate your own self-interest. This is just common sense. At this point a couple of definitions would be helpful. First, the principles of Ethics as a group comprise what we will designate as “the Moral Law.” That is what will in this context be meant by that phrase. Next, “obligation” equals by definition “our duty to follow the Moral Law.” We are obliged to comply with it. Of course people may violate their obligation, and many likely will try to, but just like attempts to violate the Law of Gravity there are consequences. The Law of Gravity is a law of nature; the Moral Law is a set of derived conclusions that are laws of human nature – both sorts of ‘law’ are subject to revision and upgrading as better insight is gained. Physical law has often been modified - or relegated to a subset of the big picture - as new models are employed that better account for the data. The same will happen in Ethics.

Human beings, by nature, are valuing beings: we make value judgments all day long. A value judgment is part cognitive and part feeling. Some emotion is invested in virtually every valuation. Gravity is constantly operative, and just as reliable is the fact that humans are constantly creating values …every time they judge, whether explicitly or tacitly. We differentiate, we assume, we conclude – all forms of value-judgment.

If the ethical question is: “How shall I live?” – and according to Virtue Ethics that is the chief question to ponder - the Ethical answer is for each of us to truthfully be able to say: “ I should be a good person, one who cares about Social Justice, one who seeks to maximize well-being (quality of life) for one and all. I seek moral outcomes. I want to be one who reasons well, who has control of my emotions, and who has found inner peace. Then I will be that kind of person who aims in the Intrinsic direction, and thus ‘gets it right’ most of the time. There is more to it, of course, but it helps if one knows his Ethics, understands the HOV {explained in the essay, BASIC ETHICS }. See: http://tinyurl.com/mfcgzfz

It is a testable hypothesis that those who form the habit of valuing Intrinsically are likely to design better systems and norms that enable us to do more with less time, energy, and resources; and are likely to engage in effective action. Effective action is action done with the aim of providing a quality life for all concerned. The latter is ‘the ultimate purpose’ of this ethical system. Let’s turn now to social ethics.

Any society that restricts the opportunity for its citizens, or its group members, to get education is unethical. If the society subjugates its citizens it is unethical. If it denies the opportunity for its members to get therapy it is unethical too.

Every society ought to make education, therapy, and opportunity freely available. Every ethical society will. To hamper the right to vote is sufficient cause to label the society that does that as unethical. Social Justice is a part of Justice, in general, and justice is a part of ethics. This is explained and analyzed in the first portion of A Unified Theory of Ethics, which is written in dialog form. Here is a link: http://tinyurl.com/crz6xea

In sum, I have made several predictions which can be experimentally tested, and replicated. This is good scientific procedure.

An individual ignores science at his peril.
HexHammer

Re: Why a new approach, a new Ethics, is NECESSARY

Post by HexHammer »

This is nothing but talkative nonsens, making irrelevant assosiations to unrelating concepts and objects.

In no way are there anything specific that anyone can use for any purpose.

There are not really any everyday problems described and how to handle them, therefore this can be consider a spam post.
prof

Post by prof »

Hello, Hex

So if I understand you, no new approach to ethics is necessary unless it provides "everyday problems described and how to handle them."

Giving moral principles to live by - no matter what problems come up - does not have value?

I'm not sure I agree.

Indeed, the first post of this thread does direct you - if you read between the lines - to insist on your right to vote, and to take advantage of that right by actually voting. Civic responsibility is implied. It does teach that if - say, in the everyday situation of going to a webpage such as this one at a forum - you are to have, and keep, your peace of mind, your serenity. Hence, you would not get too excited, would not lose your cool, would enjoy being peaceful.

What do the rest of you say? -------Or did you all stop reading once you saw the hatchetman come in and smear the efforts?

EagerForTruth

Post by EagerForTruth »

Prof - I very much agree with you in many ways. I did skim, although admittedly the readings you linked to were at least more than I was willing to spend on the technical study of society developing a new Ethic paradigm. My first question to you is are you proposing that every individual human read and be aware of that extended body of knowledge you linked to? As much as every human delving into it at that level I'm sure would do nothing but strengthen our ethics as a society, even though I most likely will take it piece by piece (just not tonight :) as a practical application, I rather see the downright impossibility of such a thing.

Further I wonder, do you think that an individual in order to live and act in harmony with the ethical and moral principals that should guide us as a society MUST read that in order to be able to. In my own life, I strive to be moral and ethical, and though no one is perfect, I could very confidently claim, that my relationship with other individuals and society at large, while subject to perhaps momentary - and not serious violations in ethical or moral behavior - are both something i am immediately aware and always take steps to correct. I could not value the concept of maintaining an ethical or moral life more, its generally the prime motivator in my behaviors.

As for the social aspect of your comment well - the things you point out aren't close to ALL the things that an ethical society will provide, but to my view our society doesn't seem organizing itself around ethics in very many discernable ways that I can see. In fact, the corners of my mind and spirit, often long for a collectivist form of society. I know I would be quite content in one. I haven't the slightest idea how society would get from here to there. All I can do from my individual position in society is continue to strive to uphold ethical and moral principles.
prof

Post by prof »

EagerForTruth wrote:Prof - ...My first question to you is are you proposing that every individual human read and be aware of that extended body of knowledge you linked to? .....do you think that an individual in order to live and act in harmony with the ethical and moral principals that should guide us as a society MUST read that in order to be able to. ...
No, Eager, it is not necessary that every individual on Earth know the intricacies of the Science of Ethics any more than they need to know the same for the Science of Physics. They do learn how to throw a light switch, and how to run a washing machine, how to dial a phone, how to use a remote control in the physical realm, and they likely will learn how to enjoy the ethical technologies that I see resulting from the new science of Ethics. The theory need only be learned by students who have a deep interest in the ethical branch of moral philosophy - in contrast with those who are more interested in Aesthetics or Literary Interpretation. Such students, with a bent for theory, a knowledge of Math or of Logic, and a curiosity about ethics, could likely be the pioneers pf this new field of research. The project is to construct a system that is ready to transition into a real science. Even now, while the field is very young, we already have technologies emerging.

In other posts and threads here I have listed some of the many existing ethical technologies, such as, for a few examples: song lyrics - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cEZjSp0ZSQ - ;
X-Prizes, - http://www.xprize.org/ - ;
the proliferation of coaching and motivation websites on the internet; the Kahn Academy giving free lessons on You Tube, the jury system,
the business-school promise - http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/30/busin ... R0w11yL4TQ - ;
the video conference - http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/confer ... -tools.htm - ;
Axiogenics - http://www.amindforsuccess.com/?page_id=6009 - ; etc., etc.
Last edited by prof on Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

prof wrote:So if I understand you, no new approach to ethics is necessary unless it provides "everyday problems described and how to handle them."

Giving moral principles to live by - no matter what problems come up - does not have value?.
Dude I put it in lay terms, yet you totally misread it, how is that possible?
prof

Post by prof »

Greetings, Hex

We closed our perception gap. I now see that when you called everything I wrote "gibberish" you were representing a layman.

The reaction of this layman - deriding something he couldn't grasp with put-down language - created a disvalue ...it subtracted from the Quality-of-life for both of us. Now, as Ethics recommends, aiming to add value, aiming for a gain/gain for both of us, let's see how we can help each other.

For if we really put our heads together we could create something neither of us could do on our own. First we have to care to do so. I know I do.

How about you? Do you want to build a statement, or a presentation, we can use to address (the concerns of) the 'person in the street'?

We could maybe start off with a question: Do you want a better quality of life than you have now? ...Here's one way to get it ...
prof

Post by prof »

"Beyond survival, the goal is to thrive – to go beyond just staying alive and to increase quality of life. Since your brain is already wired to think in terms of creating value, you've already got what it takes. All you need are the keys to help you take full advantage of how your brain naturally works so you make better decisions and take more effective actions more often." -- Peter Demerest

If we can master our mind, perhaps we can think, learn, and act in new and better ways.

We know, in our hearts, that we cannot truly maximize the quality of our own lives unless we maximize the quality of other’s lives as well. From this perspective, quality of life -- and life itself -- is not just about the self, it’s about all of us. Life is fundamentally about creating value and our conscience knows it!
prof

Post by prof »

In my response above to Eager-for-truth I listed some Ethical technologies.

Now I have become aware of a new one. Let me tell you about it.

A non-profit group has been set up to take the homeless off the streets of big cities in the USA, and move them into a home. They raise funds for this project by arguing that it is cost-effective to house the homeless in some shelter -- it saves money for the hospitals, the police (who would otherwise round them up and jail them), the city (which would have to haul off their bodies to hospital emergency rooms when they get frostbite during this extraordinarily cold winter.) And it rescues human lives, some of who could be useful and productive if they could find a job. The shelters are designed to have job-training and placement services. Thus there is a positive cost-benefit all around. It is gain/gain solution.

I consider this sort of project to be one more Ethical technology.
And I see goodness accelerating in the world, so I expect other new technologies to be coming along. Yes, Ethics is catching on :!: :!:
thinkdr

Post by thinkdr »

Yes, after having been away for 8 years, I have come in under another nickname: thinkkdr.

It's good to be back :!:

The posts are now better moderated so that there is less abuse and disparagement of fellow members and guests. I am thankful for that. A more-ethical site, more professional this site seems to me to be.

If you wish, you may still refer to me as 'prof.'
I
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

thinkdr wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:35 am Yes, after having been away for 8 years, I have come in under another nickname: thinkkdr.

It's good to be back :!:

The posts are now better moderated so that there is less abuse and disparagement of fellow members and guests. I am thankful for that. A more-ethical site, more professional this site seems to me to be.

If you wish, you may still refer to me as 'prof.'
I
I caught you blatantly plagiarising me for one of your booklets in 2018 which is much less than 8 years ago.
You earned much of that disparagement, and if this new character you are assuming cannot recognise that he will get plenty more of it.