Refuting the argument for cultural relativism...

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Hobbes' Choice

Re: Refuting the argument for cultural relativism...

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

prof wrote:The people of this Earth, and their cultures, have come a long way from just 50 years ago.

Today average life-expectancy is 70 years.

The literacy rate in the world today is 80 percent.

Those are facts !

So there is progress. Social media can spread ideas very rapidly. Some day they may spread good ideas, ethical concepts, popularizations of good, systematic ethical theory. It could become the 'conventional wisdom.'

Efficient,, effective education may occur - resulting in getting us closer to a Quality Life for one and all.
Facts require citation.

In 50 years literacy and mortality have become polarised.
Monaco and Switzerland are living longer than ever.

However there are over 30 countries where life expectancy is still under 60.
In Monaco infant mortality is 1.81 per thousand, whereas in come countries it is over 100.
That is 10% of babies die in their first year.
prof

Post by prof »

The source for the facts I cited is Fareed Zachaaria. His editors researched them for accuracy and they were broadcast on CNN, 12/15/2013.

I admit that averages can be misleading. The two facts were both averages.

:arrow: With regard to longevity and infant mortality, I would argue that both are related to the general state of health. Health is a value. It is one that I rate very highly. When the ingredients of health are widely known by the Earth's people, there likely will be greater longevity, and less infant mortality. In order for this to happen we need more and better education. This is coming due partly to Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCS.) Gradually the prices for these will fall if current trends continue. :idea: Some day there may be one on the topic of Health, and What does it take to get it?

[If anyone here is interested, I could expound on that - in a Forum post or in a private message. It helps, of course if one starts early in life to build it. On National Public Television in the USA a lecturer named Dr. Joel Furhman explains the basics; and he also has a website.]
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

prof wrote:The source for the facts I cited is Fareed Zachaaria. His editors researched them for accuracy and they were broadcast on CNN, 12/15/2013.

I admit that averages can be misleading. The two facts were both averages.

:arrow: With regard to longevity and infant mortality, I would argue that both are related to the general state of health. Health is a value. It is one that I rate very highly. When the ingredients of health are widely known by the Earth's people, there likely will be greater longevity, and less infant mortality. In order for this to happen we need more and better education. This is coming due partly to Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCS.) Gradually the prices for these will fall if current trends continue. :idea: Some day there may be one on the topic of Health, and What does it take to get it?

[If anyone here is interested, I could expound on that - in a Forum post or in a private message. It helps, of course if one starts early in life to build it. On National Public Television in the USA a lecturer named Dr. Joel Furhman explains the basics; and he also has a website.]
I got mine from the Central Intelligence Agency of the USA.

I think the facts show that 'progress' in the areas discussed go hand in hand with technology and national wealth - though. What the stats hide in rich countries is the degree to which they can hide a range of inequalities, with those resources being distributed unevenly, especially when it comes to health - in the USA in particular.
The USA might claim the best health equipment on earth, but by that rubric they should also have the best stats, and should match Monaco and Switzerland - the fact that the USA falls well short is base don the fact that the best of the US exceed those targets in Monaco, leaving a solid underclass to bring down the averages.

Countries that do poorly are the places maximally exploited for raw materials and luxury items such as coffee but sadly do not reap benefits as the 'progress' stays in the rich countries.
On balance what we witness here is many countries languishing in conditions that are worst than ever.

When one man is poor all are poor.
Tuan Nguyen

Post by Tuan Nguyen »

I felt attracted when I read your post about cultural relativism. I think that you describe very in detail about it. When you said that cultural relativism is the idea that different cultures have different moral codes. I really agree with you because I think that different cultures follow different codes of conduct. I also agree with you that if we base on ECR (ethics cultural relativism), it can be right for someone in this culture, and it can be wrong in another culture. According to ECR, there is a mistake when we are judging another culture if we base on our current culture. For those reasons, if we seem ECR is correct, no one could criticize practices such as genocide or slavery. A world where cultural relativism is law, criticizing your own society would be forbidden. murder could never be an accepted form of ethics in a society. If everyone was free to murder whom they liked at any time, no one could feel secure. People would avoid contact with others as much as possible, so society would collapse. Cultural relativism has merit in theory, but it does not necessarily practice. Humans in general have a very similar set of values despite coming from sometimes vastly different cultural backgrounds. While the execution of those values might differ, there exists a set of morals shared by every society today. People will not be able to exist if we do not have it. In my opinion, I think that morality is not determined by culture. Cultural relativism is the subjective, and moral codes are objective. The standard of morality is based on Objectivist ethics.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Tuan Nguyen wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:34 amIn my opinion, I think that morality is not determined by culture.
Ok.
Do you think boobs should be allowed out for display in public? Or, perhaps I should query as to whether you think certain cultures would think it immoral to do so?
Dachshund

Post by Dachshund »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:22 pm
Tuan Nguyen wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:34 amIn my opinion, I think that morality is not determined by culture.
Ok.
Do you think boobs should be allowed out for display in public? Or, perhaps I should query as to whether you think certain cultures would think it immoral to do so?
Snoopy Dog,

I live in a city in the West and I always have my hair cut at a topless "barber shop". The girls who cut you hair are topless and all have big boobs. I don't have a problem with it. I don't think it's immoral, but it is fun ! :D

I think women in my city should be able to legally walk around topless, (but only if they've got a nice rack - no saggy, wrinkly boobs or anything gross like that !)

Dachshund (Der Uberweiner)
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Dachshund wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:47 pm
attofishpi wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:22 pm
Ok.
Snoopy Dog,

I live in a city in the West and I always have my hair cut at a topless "barber shop". The girls who cut you hair are topless and all have big boobs. I don't have a problem with it. I don't think it's immoral, but it is fun ! :D

I think women in my city should be able to legally walk around topless, (but only if they've got a nice rack - no saggy, wrinkly boobs or anything gross like that !)

Sounds quite boobalicious.

Geez, I really shouldn't post drunk!

I'd imagine you have had years of perfecting the best haircut to bring the nipples into range..

Is this you>>?
Attachments
Nipples Here Please.jpg
Nipples Here Please.jpg (6.77 KiB) Viewed 2346 times
Spyrith

Post by Spyrith »

Dachshund wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:47 pm Snoopy Dog,

If that were to be implemented, for sure you'd get some city official writing "beautiful boobs" licenses and inspecting each and every female that wanted to go topless.

It probably wouldn't be the best paying job in the world, but for sure every guy would love to have it.
Dachshund

Post by Dachshund »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:18 pm

I'd imagine you have had years of perfecting the best haircut to bring the nipples into range..

Yes, I have. I find a good old "short back and sides" is best for bringing the girl's boobs closest to your face for the maximum time.

Now and then I have been hit (in the nose or cheek or mouth (!)) by a nipple - the girls say "Oh, sorry, Sir". I say "That's OK, Debbie -(or whoever the girl happens to be) - don't worry about it". During some haircuts I have had a truly beautiful set of boobs held just inches away from my face and gently wobbling ( for 1-2 minute) as the girl I'm snips and combs my hair. The temptation to "grasp and suck" is very strong, so a good deal of self-control is necessary, as the policy of the shop is "Strictly no Touching" the girls during a haircut.

I think it's a brilliant business idea. I mean, the place is always very busy and customers pay and extra, of course, for the topless service (if a normal haircut cut at a male barber shop costs me $30, then the same haircut at the topless barbers' cost me $50 - $55).It expensive, I know, but hey you've only got one life and so you gotta have some fun now and then ( and really I only need a haircut about every 2 months). Also, I can't see any kind of serious moral objection to having a topless haircut. I mean, the girls couldn't care less about cutting your hair without a top on, if they did then they wouldn't do it; and for the men, it's great fun. The girls make extra money cutting men's hair topless, so if anyone is being exploited its the stupid men who can't resist the opportunity to see some nice tits up "close and personal" even if they have to pay for it through the nose.

So...If you wanted to make some good money, Snoopy Dog, you could open your own topless, barber shop ! There are always heaps of girls who don't have a problem with working topless. I think women generally have a different kind of perspective on it all to men, for them, being topless in a bar or a men's club or a barber shop, is really no big deal. Just like going topless at the beach is no big deal for lots of women. You could make yourself a lot of dollars AND get to hang out from 9-5 with lots of topless girls who have great boobs ! You could chat about philosophy over lunch-break with a topless, perfect "DD" girl you employ who graduated from college with an Arts degree majoring in Western philosophy

PS: In my city, you can book topless house-cleaners as well. The girls come in and vacuum, dust, mop the floors and tidy up your place till its "spic and span"! I haven't booked any topless cleaners yet, but I sure I will if my apartment gets messy enough.

Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Real simple, if everything is relative than certain contexts fit in some other contexts better (ie more symmetrically) thus morality is absolute as context is absolute.