The Death Penalty Rapes us All

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

ForgedinHell

Re: The Death Penalty Rapes us All

Post by ForgedinHell »

johngalthasspoken wrote:
ForgedinHell wrote:Will the state murdering him bring anyone back? Will it heal any wound? No, it won't.
would putting him behind bars bring anyone back ?

No, but it prevents him from harming any one else, and a justifiable reason to lock him up is to prevent him from harming anyone else.
ForgedinHell wrote:What the victims find is that they don't get any relief after the person is murdered. You know why? Because their losses are still there.
how do you know this is true for all victim families? what is just for you isn't just for someone else.

I never stated it was true for all of the families, but I guarantee it is true for many, if not the vast majority. Seeking revenge just prolongs the anger and hate, which disrupts a person's life. For the victims and their families to move on, they have to let it go. Vengeance, it's like poison. It spreads throughout one's body and causes its own death.
ForgedinHell wrote:And in the mean time, what is the end result of having a society who lusts for murder as a form of justice? It cheapens everyone, and serves no useful purpose.
More sentimental bullshit
It's not sentimental, it is the truth. It's as true as 2 + 2 = 4 in a base-ten system.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

For serial killers...... there is no cure only prevention. The death penalty.
The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

reasonvemotion wrote:For serial killers...... there is no cure only prevention. The death penalty.
Said the murderer about his competitor.

People who reason like that really needs to think about what kind of society they want to have. This is brutalism, and it affects all individuals of society, their way of reasoning and how they view the value of humans in general. Brutalism distorts the value of humans in general, and this view, the general view, is extremely important for us all to preserve, as when we lose it, we lose a lot of other things as well. Human beings aren't so logical and sure about themselves that they can maintain a society of death penalty without huge distortions to the moral of the populace.

Killing favors killing. Good favors good. Coexisting these two will both compete for dominance.
John

Post by John »

johngalthasspoken wrote:Civilization merely forces humans to turn their instincts for cruelty, hostility and hunting against themselves. It creates that bad conscience. Violence is a very human phenomenon. Without the repressive nature of the law, violence is a very common and acceptable feature of human society.only a sheltered mind would think otherwise.
There is nothing wrong with capital punishment & we need to make the system more efficient and effective here in America.I do not consider killing another human being to be inherently wrong and I don't believe in the sanctity of human life,i'm not a humanist. you have to look at the cost/benefit of keeping a criminal alive.
If the law is "repressive" and without it "violence is a very common and acceptable feature of human society" then why do you want to repress what you find acceptable through the authority of the law?
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

People who reason like that really needs to think about what kind of society they want to have.
Preferrably one without Gary Ridgway free and attending rehabilitation sessions.
The Voice of Time

reasonvemotion wrote:
People who reason like that really needs to think about what kind of society they want to have.
Preferrably one without Gary Ridgway free and attending rehabilitation sessions.
well there are infinitely many more solutions to that problem than a firing squad, head-cutting, poisoning, or gas chamber treatment, or to sum it up; infinitely many more solutions than death penalty. Also in so saying you may forget the possibility of your own biases, which may be unknown to you know, but may have huge effects upon another person's life, or society in general.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

infinitely many more solutions than death penalty.
I have no prejudice towards them, that would involve emotion for them.

I want to know which solutions, specifically, could be applied to men or women who murder in multiplicity.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

reasonvemotion wrote:
The legal system in the US doesn't differentiate specifically between serial killers or anyone else accused of capital murder. I'm not saying that no one deserves the death penalty, of course some do, but many don't so the option shouldn't be there. If I was on the jury for the BTK killer I would vote for the death penalty for him (who wouldn't?), but I would prefer not to have that option.
On a different note why do people always say serial killers 'look so normal', 'not what you'd expect' blah, blah...Umm, serial killers ALL look like serial killers because that is exactly what they are! What the hell are they supposed to look like?
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Voice of Time

do you hate serial killers RE? or any one specific serial killer? would you want to see those or that serial killer dead? maybe you are not so different from that serial killer as you think. What if your emotions are the same? Ever thought of that?
johngalthasspoken

Post by johngalthasspoken »

John wrote:If the law is "repressive" and without it "violence is a very common and acceptable feature of human society" then why do you want to repress what you find acceptable through the authority of the law?
ummm, because i strongly believe in the rule of law & good governance.
johngalthasspoken

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
reasonvemotion wrote:
The legal system in the US doesn't differentiate specifically between serial killers or anyone else accused of capital murder. I'm not saying that no one deserves the death penalty, of course some do, but many don't so the option shouldn't be there. If I was on the jury for the BTK killer I would vote for the death penalty for him (who wouldn't?), but I would prefer not to have that option.
On a different note why do people always say serial killers 'look so normal', 'not what you'd expect' blah, blah...Umm, serial killers ALL look like serial killers because that is exactly what they are! What the hell are they supposed to look like?
Singapore's use of death penalty has worked wonders for them.and it's quick & efficient.you should look into it.
johngalthasspoken

The Voice of Time wrote: People who reason like that really needs to think about what kind of society they want to have.
This is brutalism, and it affects all individuals of society, their way of reasoning and how they view the value of humans in general. Brutalism distorts the value of humans in general, and this view, the general view, is extremely important for us all to preserve, as when we lose it, we lose a lot of other things as well.
Again with the sentimental bullshit..mass murderers are in no way beneficial to society.they are better off dead than alive.I've said this before ,unlike you, i don't believe in the sanctity of human life,i don't believe all human life is sacred and that everyone has a "right to live.I don't buy into this one world,one humanity,we're all brothers and all other utopian trivial liberal bullshit you hear these days.
You look at this from a purely humanitarian perspective.Yeah we could throw them in a maximum security prison or whatever, but why would I want to waste my tax dollars providing food and shelter for murderers? They are a waste of federal funding. Right now, given the recession we're in, we should be worrying about efficiency.

The Voice of Time wrote:Human beings aren't so logical and sure about themselves that they can maintain a society of death penalty without huge distortions to the moral of the populace
what is the correlation between condemning a mass murderer to death and "the moral of the populace" ? if anything,death penalty has proven to be a successful deterrent.on a more serious note, what the fuck do you mean by, moral of the "populace"?
The Voice of Time wrote:Killing favors killing. Good favors good. Coexisting these two will both compete for dominance.
let me quote satyr "When you denounce war and violence and superior/inferior and male competitiveness, you are, in fact, denouncing all the elements that made humans dominant in the animal kingdom.That you worship peace,love,brotherhood, humanity,altruism, oneness,is an indication that you now want to change the rules that made you possible, thinking that this will not change anything other than it will make things "better".
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

ForgedinHell wrote:When the state murders a person, it takes from all of us, a piece of our human dignity. It lessens the value of our lives and diminishes our rights. And when the state robs us of our dignity, it is like we are being raped.

Something we can agree about.

There are many other reason that capital punishment is a bad idea. One is that convictions are often wrong. There is no appeal from death. Another is that degrees of mitigation can be suppressed by not having access to a worthy advocate. The result is that it is most often the poor and other minorities, in society that end up on death row.
The other thing is that capital punishment is often far more expensive than a long custodial sentence. The degree of access to appeals and re-trials has to be so good for those on death row that, as we all know, these cases can drag on for decades, all the while a person is facing the hopelessness and cruelty of a death sentence over his or her head.
Any state wishing to save cash (as is often one argument offered by the pro camp) by reducing the access to appeals is a disgrace.

On the pro side: I can't really see what is the positive benefit of ending a life when we know that some innocents have died by this method. How can it be worth the death of a single innocent person?
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

reasonvemotion wrote:
infinitely many more solutions than death penalty.
I have no prejudice towards them, that would involve emotion for them.

I want to know which solutions, specifically, could be applied to men or women who murder in multiplicity.
You have heard of incarceration?
Serial killers are outside the norms of society - I think you will agree. Hindley and Brady were the subject of much useful study. Killing them would robbed us of all that study.
Keeping Hindley alive also led to the uncovering of one of the victim's graves, which provided their family with much need closure. Brady lived to suffer from life imprisonment. A far more fitting punishment I think.
What good would it have done to kill them?
johngalthasspoken

chaz wyman wrote: Brady lived to suffer from life imprisonment. A far more fitting punishment I think.
What good would it have done to kill them?
it would have saved the tax payers a-lot of money