Abortion

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

SpheresOfBalance

Re: Abortion

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

chaz wyman wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:Is having an unwanted child moral?
Is overpopulation moral?
Is telling someone what to do with their body moral?
Is playing god moral?
Is spreading your legs for the fun of it, without contraception moral?
Is spreading someones legs for the fun of it, without contraception moral?
Is killing a fetus moral?
Is raping someone moral?
Is putting your life on the line for a child moral?
Is not putting your life on the line for a child moral?
Is having a child contract AIDS/STD's as a result of childbirth moral?
Is potentially having a child with birth defects moral?
Is having the baby of your father or brother moral?
Does morality exist with a god?
Does morality exist without a god?
Are morals up to each individual depending upon what they believe?
What is morality, who is right and who is wrong, and who is to say?
I think what you are asking is really not 'is it moral." But is it morally good or bad.
All are moral questions except the questions about God which are epistemological.
But none of these moral questions can be evaluated without the specific context for each event they envisage.

But you also confuse yourself. An act cannot be moral or immoral, per se. I think when you have got that sorted then you will understand ethics. "Killing is immoral" is false. Think about it.
Such statements are impossible.
The last two lines above are evidence that you are finally thinking about the issues that you need to if you are to avoid your usual judgemental position.
Your condescending stamp of approval(non), as usual, was not solicited, wanted, is never respected, nor on target.

I was specifically targeting Kala, using her form of the word, the way she sees it, it would seem your ability of sensing context has diminished with age.

You know what's kind of funny, just the other day I saw a documentary where a "panel of PhD's" mentioned that one of the things common to those that are without a god(someone they answer to), on a subconscious level, place themselves as a god, and I immediately thought of you and most probably why I consider you a MEGALO! Do you always feel the need to correct people and tell them, "THE WAY IT IS?"

It would seem you need to pay attention to my last two questions as well except that in your case you need to be thinking of 'truth' instead of morality, oh yeah I forgot you've already said you believed that, months ago, in Bill's truth thread. So then, considering your words here, contradiction come's to mind, as usual, as you continually open your yap trap and try and project your relative brand of truth, knowledge, and/or morality upon someone else. Yes MEGALO fits you quite nicely!

Until you remove that stick from your anal sphincter I would appreciate you putting a cork in it, with respect to me at least, as your words fall on deaf ears, as they're full of self, in the face of many!
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:
Is overpopulation moral?
Is playing god moral?
Is raping someone moral?
I think what you are asking is really not 'is it moral." But is it morally good or bad.
All are moral questions except the questions about God which are epistemological.
But none of these moral questions can be evaluated without the specific context for each event they envisage.

But you also confuse yourself. An act cannot be moral or immoral, per se. I think when you have got that sorted then you will understand ethics. "Killing is immoral" is false. Think about it.
The last two lines above are evidence that you are finally thinking about the issues that you need to if you are to avoid your usual judgemental position.
Your condescending stamp of approval(non), as usual, was not solicited, wanted, is never respected, nor on target.
Then I suggest you put me on ignore!! :D :D

I was specifically targeting Kala, using her form of the word, the way she sees it, it would seem your ability of sensing context has diminished with age.

I think you mean Kayla - so much for your sense of 'context'.

You know what's kind of funny, just the other day I saw a documentary where a "panel of PhD's" mentioned that one of the things common to those that are without a god(someone they answer to), on a subconscious level, place themselves as a god, and I immediately thought of you and most probably why I consider you a MEGALO! Do you always feel the need to correct people and tell them, "THE WAY IT IS?"

If you see "megalos", what ever they are then it seems you are looking in a mirror - transference is a common enough condition with sociopaths like yourself.

PLONK!![/color]
SpheresOfBalance

chaz wyman wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:I think what you are asking is really not 'is it moral." But is it morally good or bad.

Then I suggest you put me on ignore!! :D :D
What do you know, I've had a change of heart, you deserve a break, and need me to keep an eye on you, to constantly remind you of how foolish you appear, spitting your venom in everyone's face because you can't control your frustration. You're going to be my therapy! This is exciting, we can actually help one another, you and I. Are you feeling all warm and fizzy inside? I am!

I think you mean Kayla - so much for your sense of 'context'.

Oh, you got me, my keyboard key is sticky and I didn't catch it, oh the shame! I guess you got to take your little megalo victory anywhere you can get it!

If you see "megalos", what ever they are then it seems you are looking in a mirror - transference is a common enough condition with sociopaths like yourself.

Trust me Chaz, you don't have to play like you're foolish...
PLONK!![/color]
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

SpheresOfBalance

chaz wyman wrote:.
Thank You! Seriously!!!!!

If we watch our P's and Q's dealing with appraising one another, we may be capable of some honest, truthful debate, that is, if we're both capable of withholding unnecessary condescending BS, what do you think?

The way I see it is that by responding to anyone's post one is stating that they find it worthy of their attention, or they wouldn't give it. It's so easy just to move on. So one then has to ask themselves, by responding, what do they expect to get out of it? For me it is not humiliating anyone. It is an attempt to show another side that may have been overlooked, because I'm passionate about the subject at hand, as I see it's importance, and want to share what it is that I believe, is a better perspective, to benefit all of humanity. Within this I find truth, sometimes looking at ourselves critically, to pave a more intelligent and wise way, despite the pride we have to swallow.

Tolerance and the benefit of the doubt, until all the data has been related and understood, by all involved parties, is whats required for peaceful negotiations. Most, don't like to be bullied, understandably.

Any thoughts, Mr. Wyman?
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

Is overpopulation moral?
yuo'd need to expand on these questions to allow a meaningful answer
sure

i tell my little brother to brush his teeth on regular basis and if he giggles and runs away i just catch him and brush his teeth without concerning myself too much on whether he wants his teeth brushed
Is playing god moral?
in one D&D campaign I played a 40th level magic user who ascended to godhood

it was perfectly moral
probably not a good idea, quite possibly not moral
no - although there may be circumstances where alternatives are even worse

but not all immoral things are best dealt with by coercive power of the state

abortion imho is one of such things
in one sense in that peoples beliefs concerning morals are different that is a trivially obvious fact

on the other hand if you think that some belief is optional, that its OK for some people but not for others, it is not really a moral belief

for example some people think its OK to beat their wives

but if someone were to think it is OK provided its part of one's culture - as moral relativists do - they no longer hold a moral belief, but a belief concerning a matter of taste
SpheresOfBalance

Kayla wrote:
Is overpopulation moral?
yuo'd need to expand on these questions to allow a meaningful answer
sure

i tell my little brother to brush his teeth on regular basis and if he giggles and runs away i just catch him and brush his teeth without concerning myself too much on whether he wants his teeth brushed
Is playing god moral?
in one D&D campaign I played a 40th level magic user who ascended to godhood

it was perfectly moral
probably not a good idea, quite possibly not moral
no - although there may be circumstances where alternatives are even worse

but not all immoral things are best dealt with by coercive power of the state

abortion imho is one of such things
in one sense in that peoples beliefs concerning morals are different that is a trivially obvious fact

on the other hand if you think that some belief is optional, that its OK for some people but not for others, it is not really a moral belief

for example some people think its OK to beat their wives

but if someone were to think it is OK provided its part of one's culture - as moral relativists do - they no longer hold a moral belief, but a belief concerning a matter of taste
They were actually rhetorical, but it was interesting to see which and how you answered. Based upon your arguments thus far, I was just curious as to how/if you'd respond.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:

If we watch our P's and Q's dealing with appraising one another, we may be capable of some honest, truthful debate, that is, if we're both capable of withholding unnecessary condescending BS, what do you think?

The way I see it is that by responding to anyone's post one is stating that they find it worthy of their attention, or they wouldn't give it. It's so easy just to move on. So one then has to ask themselves, by responding, what do they expect to get out of it? For me it is not humiliating anyone. It is an attempt to show another side that may have been overlooked, because I'm passionate about the subject at hand, as I see it's importance, and want to share what it is that I believe, is a better perspective, to benefit all of humanity. Within this I find truth, sometimes looking at ourselves critically, to pave a more intelligent and wise way, despite the pride we have to swallow.

Tolerance and the benefit of the doubt, until all the data has been related and understood, by all involved parties, is whats required for peaceful negotiations. Most, don't like to be bullied, understandably.

Any thoughts, Mr. Wyman?
I seem to remember making similar overtures to you about burying the hatchet. I also seem to remember you trying to bury it in my head.
I don't think you have the temperament to converse with me without you descending into your arrogant, holier than thou attitude.
You can give it a try if you like.
SpheresOfBalance

chaz wyman wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:

Any thoughts, Mr. Wyman?
I seem to remember making similar overtures to you about burying the hatchet. I also seem to remember you trying to bury it in my head.
I don't think you have the temperament to converse with me without you descending into your arrogant, holier than thou attitude.
I seem to remember that initially, it was you that started burying the hatchet in my head. I don't think you have the temperament to converse with me or anyone else without descending into your arrogant, holier than thou, to the point of omnipotent, attitude. I think it only fair that you lead the way with your best foot forward and keep it there.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:
I seem to remember that initially, it was you that started burying the hatchet in my head. I don't think you have the temperament to converse with me or anyone else without descending into your arrogant, holier than thou, to the point

QED - you make my point for me.

of omnipotent, attitude. I think it only fair that you lead the way with your best foot forward and keep it there.[/color]
Sorry no can do - my foot is right up your arse right now.
You didn't last long , did you?
SpheresOfBalance

chaz wyman wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:
I seem to remember that initially, it was you that started burying the hatchet in my head. I don't think you have the temperament to converse with me or anyone else without descending into your arrogant, holier than thou, to the point

QED - you make my point for me.

Ditto, my boy!

of omnipotent, attitude. I think it only fair that you lead the way with your best foot forward and keep it there.[/color]
Sorry no can do - my foot is right up your arse right now.
You didn't last long , did you?
And then you woke up, my son! You should ask yourself why you're so concerned with my arse and such, I'm sure that's where you'd like it, you closet case! You know, for an old codger, you sure are immature, boy!
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

SpheresOfBalance wrote: .. an insincere attempt at reconciliation...
reasonemotion

Post by reasonemotion »

Is overpopulation moral?
Is playing god moral?
Is raping someone moral?
Exactly. Your analysis of abortion is enveloped with warmth, good sense and great intelligence. It is people like yourself who contribute understanding of each person's unique position involving this decision, would be greatly appreciated, I would imagine, when faced with the terrible decision concerning abortion.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

reasonemotion wrote:
Is overpopulation moral?
Is playing god moral?
Is raping someone moral?
Exactly. Your analysis of abortion is enveloped with warmth, good sense and great intelligence. It is people like yourself who contribute understanding of each person's unique position involving this decision, would be greatly appreciated, I would imagine, when faced with the terrible decision concerning abortion.
There is a slight problem here because all of the answers to these questions is yes. i.e. they are all moral questions. ~What he is really trying to ask is "Is X morally good or bad."
SpheresOfBalance

chaz wyman wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote: .. an insincere attempt at reconciliation...
Life's a two way street, my boy!