The killing living being for food is the greatest sin

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: The killing living being for food is the greatest sin

Post by Walker »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:20 pm Of you just gorge on seal blubber!!
WHich as served the Inuit for thousands of years, with hardly a sniff of vitamin C!!
Bingo

Whatever they get out of blubber, it's keeping them alive.

Not sure where the relevance is here
The relevance is that being beyond limitations, and being guided by the compassion that naturally arises with that being, is the essence found within the traditions of Buddhism. An element of compassion is great sadness at the way things are ... but a man's gotta eat in order to exist as the body, and not just as a boddhisattva form of food for lions, tigers, and bears, oh my.

Post by Age »

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:50 am
dattaswami wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:25 am It is due to your demand that a living being is killed.
Plants feel pain, they are finding out.
WHO are 'finding out'?
Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:50 am Plants can remember and learn.
WHICH plants can remember AND learn?

And, WHAT can plants remember, and learn?
Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:50 am And in Hinduism humans can reincarnate as plants.
WHY, ONLY, in "hinduism"?

And, HOW, in "hinduism", can 'you', humans, reincarnate as plants? And, which one of 'you', plants, WERE humans?
Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:50 am You are a killer of living beings.
Are 'you', a human or a plant, CLAIMING that 'you', plants, are 'living beings'?
Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:50 am When you walk somewhere you kill insects and microorganisms.
SO WHAT?

What does this MEAN, EXACTLY? Do this mean that Because human beings walk around and step on and kill insects and/or microorganisms, then this means that it is perfectly fine to kill all other animals and eat them?
Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:50 am When you bought your phone or computer, you contributed to, amongst other things, mining and the use of petrol and other energy sources, all processes that kill living organisms including animals.
So what? Does this mean that it is now all right to KILL and EAT animals?
Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:50 am The only way for you to stop killing, and I do mean you, is to commit suicide.
But that would be the KILLING of another human being, would it not?
Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:50 am This would also provide food, if you kill yourself in the right way, to all sorts of living organisms.
शुभायते{शुभाय} !!
So, are you here saying that it is all right to kill "one's" 'self' to make sure living organisms have some food to eat?

Post by Age »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:05 am Life is death.
All life relies in the death of other life. There are few exceptions from this. Only extremophiles are capable of living on bare inanimate minerals.

But what about plants and herbivores I hear you ask?

Plants rely on nutrients from the soil to grow and all herbivores eat those plants. Soil is a substrate of dead things, decaying through the action of bacteria and fungi. Plants are nourished from this death factory and the herbivores that eat the plants not only rely on this factory of death but also eat insects that have the temerity to be on the plants when eaten, providing important vitamins and minerals for the browsers.
It is estimates that each acre of grassland supports a million spiders who thrive on a larger multitude of small insects upon which the spiders feed.

Cattle kill more things everyday, by inadvertent munching and trampling, same is true of all herbivores from elephants to rabbits.

Now let's talk about carnivores. The lion on the plains to domestic cats and dogs are evil sinners apparently, as they are evolved to eat meat. I've seen humans try to bring up their puppies as Vegan. A sadder sight I have never seen, these poor wretches are listless and without interest in life and often end up weak with diabetes before they die in pain. BUT HEY - at least they are not sinners!!
Is there any video proof of these people doing this, or you just saw this happening?

How long were you watching and observing this BEFORE you WATCHED those puppies/dogs DIE, IN PAIN?
Sculptor wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:05 am Typically the prospect for god's good creatures is to die being torn limb from limb by a carnivore. Carnivores have been tearing herbivores limb from limb for millions of years. Sorry if you are a creationist - for nearly 6000 years!

Luckily for herbivores along comes caring humans who think that animal welfare is important whilst realising that they are going to use them for food also chose to shelter them, care for them, give the medical treatment, and provide them with a quick and painless death.
Yet somehow this care for animals is more sinful than tearing an animal limb from limb, or allowing it to die from natural causes in a stressful and painful way - (what god does in nature) - that is not at all sinful..
ANOTHER ONE who COMPLETELY and UTTERLY MISSES THE POINT.

ONCE AGAIN, people on BOTH "sides" of yet another MADE UP 'this' OR 'that' issue/discussion MISSES thee ACTUAL POINT.

Post by Age »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:07 am
Walker wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:57 am What is a body to do when it lives so far North, or at so high an altitude, or in a desert, where plant food is not available?
You die!!!!!!
But human beings who live in those areas, on earth, OBVIOUSLY, do NOT die.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Question: Does the following reasoning fit into meat-eating, Christian doctrine?

- Every human dies.
- For a human to die in service to God is a good death.
- Every animal dies.
- Man is less than God, but made in God’s image.
- Animal is less than Man.
- For an animal to die in service to Man, is a good death for an animal.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Age wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:17 am
Maia wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:55 pm
Age wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:36 pm

Okay.

Obviously you have absolutely NO CURIOSITY here so we will leave it where it is now correct?
I have a great deal of curiosity, but not when it comes to obtuse word games.
If someone Truly wanted to KNOW that what they BELIEVED was true, was NOT true, then they would show some CURIOSITY. Instead of just REAFFIRMING their BELIEF, which is what you are doing here.
You are providing no evidence that makes me want to change my beliefs. If you do so, I will.

Post by Age »

Maia wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:44 am
Maia wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:55 pm

I have a great deal of curiosity, but not when it comes to obtuse word games.
If someone Truly wanted to KNOW that what they BELIEVED was true, was NOT true, then they would show some CURIOSITY. Instead of just REAFFIRMING their BELIEF, which is what you are doing here.
You are providing no evidence that makes me want to change my beliefs. If you do so, I will.
This is BECAUSE you are SHOWING NO evidence of even WANTING to CONSIDER that what you BELIEVE is true could, in fact, NOT be true.

Which is just FURTHER IRREFUTABLE PROOF of CONFIRMATION BIAS, which exists most because of the BELIEFS one HOLDS TO BE TRUE.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Age wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:57 am

This is BECAUSE you are SHOWING NO evidence of even WANTING to CONSIDER that what you BELIEVE is true could, in fact, NOT be true.

Which is just FURTHER IRREFUTABLE PROOF of CONFIRMATION BIAS, which exists most because of the BELIEFS one HOLDS TO BE TRUE.
My beliefs are all evidence based. All you have to do is provide some.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Walker wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:21 am
Sculptor wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:20 pm Of you just gorge on seal blubber!!
WHich as served the Inuit for thousands of years, with hardly a sniff of vitamin C!!
Bingo

Whatever they get out of blubber, it's keeping them alive.
Indeed. Apparently the only reason we need such large amounts of Vitamin C is that it has to compete with carbohydrates for absorption since they share a similar metabolic pathway. The tiny amounts of V C in meat are enough for you as long as you do not gorge yourself in wheat and other carbs.
Sailors who got scurvy did so because they mostly subsisted on Ship's biscuit; a sort of hard tack of compressed wheat and oat flour. Unless you were lucky enough to sail with a British vessel and got your ration of limes, you could lose all your teeth.

Not sure where the relevance is here
The relevance is that being beyond limitations, and being guided by the compassion that naturally arises with that being, is the essence found within the traditions of Buddhism. An element of compassion is great sadness at the way things are ... but a man's gotta eat in order to exist as the body, and not just as a boddhisattva form of food for lions, tigers, and bears, oh my.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Walker wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:04 am Question: Does the following reasoning fit into meat-eating, Christian doctrine?

- Every human dies.
- For a human to die in service to God is a good death.
- Every animal dies.
- Man is less than God, but made in God’s image.
- Animal is less than Man.
- For an animal to die in service to Man, is a good death for an animal.
Pass me another steak!!

Post by Age »

Maia wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:28 am

What is YOUR so-called EVIDENCE that you and ALL OTHER HUMAN BEINGS NEED TO HAVE BELIEFS, otherwise you will ALL STOP FUNCTIONING and SO ALL JUST DIE?
Maia

Post by Maia »

Age wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:08 pm

What is YOUR so-called EVIDENCE that you and ALL OTHER HUMAN BEINGS NEED TO HAVE BELIEFS, otherwise you will ALL STOP FUNCTIONING and SO ALL JUST DIE?
I asked for evidence, not verbal sparring. Just provide it, that's all.

Post by Age »

Maia wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:34 pm

And I asked for evidence, not DEFLECTION and IGNORANCE.

And, what can be CLEARLY SEEN I SPELLED OUT EXACTLY what I wanted EVIDENCE FOR.

Now, what do 'you' want EVIDENCE FOR, EXACTLY?
Maia

Post by Maia »

Age wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:51 pm

That you don't believe anything, because your actions belie your words. You post here and continue this conversation, for example, you you must believe it has some sort of existence. Since I asked first, I'll expect an answer before proceeding.

Post by Age »

Maia wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:01 pm
Age wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:51 pm

That you don't believe anything,
What kind of 'evidence' could I provide to 'you', a human being who BELIEVES WHOLEHEARTEDLY and ABSOLUTELY that human beings could NOT even function, let alone live and survive, without BELIEFS?

Would JUST DYING be ENOUGH 'evidence' for 'you' "maia"? Or, would ANY thing else suffice?
Maia wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:01 pmbecause your actions belie your words.
And what 'actions' are they EXACTLY? Would they be living, and breathing?
Maia wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:01 pm You post here and continue this conversation, for example, you you must believe it has some sort of existence.
WHY MUST I?

Do 'you' REALLY and Truly BELIEVE that I would just STOP FUNCTIONING and/or just DROP DEAD, if I did NOT believe that this conversation has some sort of existence?
Maia wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:01 pm Since I asked first, I'll expect an answer before proceeding.
WHEN 'you' INFORM the readers here of HOW I could PROVIDE 'you' WITH EVIDENCE that I do NOT believe ANY thing, then I CAN give 'you' THAT ANSWER.

Until then I have NO idea HOW I could PROVIDE 'you' WITH EVIDENCE for SOME 'thing', which you BELIEVE WHOLEHEARTEDLY that there is absolutely NO 'evidence' FOR.

Are 'you' ABLE to SEE 'the dilemma' here?