Gun Control

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

Gun Control

Post by henry quirk »

mickthinks

Re: Gun Control

Post by mickthinks »

Annual Deaths from Guns

United States 40 000
Canada 790
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

I am continually puzzled by Americans.

What do they not understand by the idea that the more guns you have the more likely that people are going to get shot?

They will tell you that if only everyone had a gun then those mass shooters would have got shot before they killed so many people. The likelihood is that anyone shooting a gun in such circumstances is likely to be taken for a shooter and get shot themselves. After the blood bath the sole survivor will probably say - "hec! Der gud thang I hid ma gurn"
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:58 pm I am continually puzzled by Americans.

What do they not understand by the idea that the more guns you have the more likely that people are going to get shot?
I am continually puzzled by Brits who don't understand the notion of replacement and preference in per-capita metrics.

The more guns you have the more likely that people are going to get shot (instead of stabbed). Because criminals prefer guns to knives; so gun-violence replaces knife-violence. This says absolutely nothing about the incidence of violent crime increasing or decreasing.

As a way to demonstrate that you don't understand what those metrics mean...

Switzerland has higher rates of gun violence than UK.
Switzerland has lower rates of violence than the UK.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Skepdick wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:03 pm
Sculptor wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:58 pm I am continually puzzled by Americans.

I am continually puzzled by Brits who don't understand the notion of replacement and preference in per-capita metrics.

The more guns you have the more likely that people are going to get shot (instead of stabbed).
SO why is it that in America there are more people stabbed per capita than the UK?
Because criminals prefer guns to knives; so gun-violence replaces knife-violence. This says absolutely nothing about the incidence of violent crime increasing or decreasing.

As a way to demonstrate that you don't understand what those metrics mean...

Switzerland has higher rates of gun violence than UK.
Switzerland has lower rates of violence than the UK.
You have presented no argument.

The US is not Switzerland, It is a civilized well ordered and socially integrated society with very little poverty and very little consequent crime.
Gun ownership is highly controlled with a militia/citizenry trained in appropriate use.

The lesson from Switzerland is that if you want people to enjoy guns then you need adequate regulation and licencing, with ownership restricted to sane adults.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Government’s recommended method of protection.

The force is strong in this one which is fortunate for her, because she has no peacemaker-equalizer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nXpDkmSBe8
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

What do they not understand by the idea that the more cars you have the more likely that people are going to get run-over?

-Imp
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:46 pm SO why is it that in America there are more people stabbed per capita than the UK?
Q.E.D you don't actually understand what those metrics mean.

Because the USA has more violence (per capita) than the UK!

Some of that violence is done with knives.
Some of that violence is done with guns.
Some of that violence is done with golf clubs and baseball bats.
Sculptor wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:46 pm You have presented no argument.
No shit! Arguing is for idiot-philosophers. I don't engage in such pointless activities.

Look at the data and fix your own misunderstanding/misconception. No arguments needed.
Sculptor wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:46 pm The US is not Switzerland, It is a civilized well ordered and socially integrated society with very little poverty and very little consequent crime.
Precisely.

Which is why the fact that Switzerland's gun-murder is 40 times higher than UK's gun-murder is irrelevant.
Because Switzerland is still hass 50% less murder than UK.

Sculptor wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:46 pm Gun ownership is highly controlled with a militia/citizenry trained in appropriate use.

The lesson from Switzerland is that if you want people to enjoy guns then you need adequate regulation and licencing, with ownership restricted to sane adults.
It's almost as if you are actually stupid.

DESPITE all that gun control, regulation, training and licensing.... Switzerland's gun-murder is still 40 times higher than UK's gun-murder!

Because "more guns = more gun-murders" is just a tautology. It tells you nothing about the effect (positive or negative) it has on total murders.
Last edited by Skepdick on Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Impenitent wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:15 pm What do they not understand by the idea that the more cars you have the more likely that people are going to get run-over?

-Imp
I think they accounted for that in the big plan. When all the cars are electric, all but a few will be waiting their turn at the electrical outlets, so there won't be that many self-driving cars actually on the road to mow people down due to their faulty Chinese chips.

It takes about five minutes to gas up 450 mile range.
How long for a full electrical charge?
Walker

Post by Walker »

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws and the government will have guns.

Decent, law-abiding folks will be at the mercy of both at the moment of truth.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

I'm in favour of gun control...keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction at all times, chamber empty, safety on and finger off the trigger until you find the target you wish to ventilate. That's good gun control.

We need lots more of that.
Walker

Post by Walker »

If guns weren't so emotional and unpredictable they would be much easier to control.

No wait ... that's women.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:29 pm I'm in favour of gun control...keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction at all times, chamber empty, safety on and finger off the trigger until you find the target you wish to ventilate. That's good gun control.

We need lots more of that.
YES.

Personally, I would just add a total ban on AR-15s outside of the boundaries of your property. Use one for self-protection if you will. Don’t be so ridiculous as to use an AR-15 for hunting.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

commonsense wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:33 pm Personally, I would just add a total ban on AR-15s outside of the boundaries of your property.
I'm not a fan of the AR-15, but it seems weird to me that that particular gun has come in for special concern. Most shootings and other criminal acts are performed with handguns.

I live where handguns are severely restricted...so restricted that most people never own one, and can't even imagine how to get one. There's an onerous and detailed sytem of permits and checks between any person and such a purchase, and few places even sell them at all.

And yet, the vast majority of our shootings and crimes are still with handguns.

If gun control works, how do we explain that?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:44 pm
commonsense wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:33 pm Personally, I would just add a total ban on AR-15s outside of the boundaries of your property.
I'm not a fan of the AR-15, but it seems weird to me that that particular gun has come in for special concern. Most shootings and other criminal acts are performed with handguns.

I live where handguns are severely restricted...so restricted that most people never own one, and can't even imagine how to get one. There's an onerous and detailed sytem of permits and checks between any person and such a purchase, and few places even sell them at all.

And yet, the vast majority of our shootings and crimes are still with handguns.

If gun control works, how do we explain that?
I focus on the AR-15 because of its use in mass shootings and because an assault rifle is overkill when it comes to hunting unarmed animals.