Gun Control

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: Gun Control

Post by attofishpi »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:00 am
attofishpi wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:19 pm
henry quirk wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:31 pm

Oh, that's how it is: okay, let's play...

Becuz some misuse their property, or misuse a machine, to hurt or kill themselves or unjustly hurt or kill others, everyone ought be penalized in their ownership and use of similar properties or machines?
That's right Henry. When the machine in question serves no great purpose to humanity overall then there should be no access to such a machine. Guns are for killing and hurting - therefore - get rid of them.

Personally, I think ALL guns should be locked away at a shooting range and only be used there. If one wishes a rifle for hunting, then that gun can be checked out for a period of time - non automatics though.
I also think the age for accessing guns should be raised to 25.
So guns, becuz of what they do, are in a separate, special, category of property, one damned few, if any, ought have access to except under strict supervision.
I am glad you understand.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

I understand, of course, but: I absolutely don't agree.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:08 am
2D69F462-2E39-4EC9-8286-04BCD28B8A46.jpeg
Note to the editors of Philosophy Now magazine:

It's beyond our control. 8)
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

Gun control is tyranny lite. Only after gun control do we get regular tyranny.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:33 am
I understand, of course, but: I absolutely don't agree.
So understand this. Everytime you back the NRA stance of no future limitations on gun control, you are endorsing a bullet into a child.

Such is the NRA and you're a.greed
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

iambiguous wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:55 am It's beyond our control.
That's right: you got it.

Now, mebbe, we can have an actual conversation.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Well, let's break this indictment down...
Everytime you back the NRA stance of no future limitations on gun control
Not bein' a member of the NRA, I can't say that, in fact, is the stance the organization holds to (from what little I've read, I think, mebbe, it isn't). Now, me? Absolutely there ought not be any restrictions on any property. See, it's not the property that's the real issue. That John used an armalite rifle to kill 15 kids is not the issue. John killin' 15 kids is the issue.

you are endorsing a bullet into a child.
Of course not. I'm not responsible for the unjust actions of others. My right to property is not connected to someone else's misuse of their property.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:12 pm
iambiguous wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:55 am It's beyond our control.
That's right: you got it.

Now, mebbe, we can have an actual conversation.
I'm still waiting for you here, my friend: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35405

Here's the thing though...

If you are only going to go the snippet/three word "clever" retort route, I'd prefer you stayed away. There are some actual substantive exchanges unfolding. And a few of them are even relevant to the OP.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

I'm still waiting for you here, my friend
As I say...
henry quirk wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:09 pmI'm not postin' there.
There are some actual substantive exchanges unfolding. And a few of them are even relevant to the OP.
Really? Seems to me Flash ain't gonna stick with the conversation cuz you aren't actually talkin' to him, only at him (he answered you and you dismissed him; he offered analysis and strategy and you ignored it). And Mannie? I can see his interest depletin' already. And veg, age, DAM, Walker, Astro, and Iwanna aren't talkin' to you at all (Iwanna, though, talked about you).

Seems to me: that...
Astro Cat wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:34 amwhole shitshow of a thread
...as Astro put it, is a firecracker that done popped.

End of this week, beginning of next: it'll be bottomed out on page 1 of active topics. Once it flips to page 2...sayonara, soldier.

But, I could be wrong... 🤣
Walker

Post by Walker »

iambiguous wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:25 pm Note to others:

Make up your own minds.

... you either abide by the law until you can elect a government to change the law or you go Ruby Ridge on us ...
That sounds clever, but that’s not what happens.
What happens is, you go all Eastern European on us.
You bury the guns where you and no one else will find them, until you need them, which is after the roundup.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:11 pm I think supporters of the second amendment tend to conveniently ignore the necessity of a "WELL REGULATED MILITIA". Since the colonial authority wishing to establish an independent state relied on citizenry to respond to challenges, though it did not have the ability to raise sufficient taxation to have an army, every Joe was encouraged to join the local militia.
- That’s right. A militia is not a centralized army of an oppressive government. It is a localized force, like volunteer firemen.
- Because the militia is not a centralized force, then each militia member was expected to have their own weapon at the ready, so they could quickly assemble from near and far.
- “Well-organized” is required to manage a bunch of individuals into a militia that can go up against a nationally-centralized force ... much like the Ukranian militias against Russia.
- Back in colonial times, the British army was the nationally-centralized force asserting the tyranny of the government over the people.
- Today, the US Military, or the FBI, or Homeland Security, or ATF, or EPA, or any number of federal agencies, would be the national centralized force asserting the tyranny of the government over the people.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Walker wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:14 am
Sculptor wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:11 pm I think supporters of the second amendment tend to conveniently ignore the necessity of a "WELL REGULATED MILITIA". Since the colonial authority wishing to establish an independent state relied on citizenry to respond to challenges, though it did not have the ability to raise sufficient taxation to have an army, every Joe was encouraged to join the local militia.
- That’s right. A militia is not a centralized army of an oppressive government. It is a localized force, like volunteer firemen.
- Because the militia is not a centralized force, then each militia member was expected to have their own weapon at the ready, so they could quickly assemble from near and far.
- “Well-organized” is required to manage a bunch of individuals into a militia that can go up against a nationally-centralized force ... much like the Ukranian militias against Russia.
- Back in colonial times, the British army was the nationally-centralized force asserting the tyranny of the government over the people.
- Today, the US Military, or the FBI, or Homeland Security, or ATF, or EPA, or any number of federal agencies, would be the national centralized force asserting the tyranny of the government over the people.
It's clear you do not know the meaning of the word.
Run along.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Walker wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:27 am

Make up your own minds.

... you either abide by the law until you can elect a government to change the law or you go Ruby Ridge on us ...
You bury the guns where you and no one else will find them, until you need them, which is after the roundup.
Sure, there will always be options other than taking a chance on democracy and the rule of law. And, one way or another, the hardcore fulminating fanatic objectivists among us [left and right], in insisting that it's ever and always "my way or the highway", will eschew "moderation, negotiation and compromise" for their own arrogant, authoritarian dogmas.

That's what makes them so fucking dangerous. Coupled with the fact that the crony capitalists will always do what they can to sustain the profits of the gun industry.

Here in America, there seems to be an increasing possibility of one or another rendition of fascism if the MAGA forces gain control of both houses of Congress and the White House.

Go ask henry about it.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:13 pm Let's talk about it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mUZ9HCi6wBs

The idea that guns are needed to "check the gummint" is the dumbest most stupid myth in the whole debate, What a bunch of shite.
Walker

Post by Walker »

iambiguous wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:28 pm
Walker wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:27 am

Make up your own minds.

Sure, there will always be options other than taking a chance on democracy and the rule of law. And, one way or another, the hardcore fulminating fanatic objectivists among us [left and right], in insisting that it's ever and always "my way or the highway", will eschew "moderation, negotiation and compromise" for their own arrogant, authoritarian dogmas.

That's what makes them so fucking dangerous. Coupled with the fact that the crony capitalists will always do what they can to sustain the profits of the gun industry.

Here in America, there seems to be an increasing possibility of one or another rendition of fascism if the MAGA forces gain control of both houses of Congress and the White House.

Go ask henry about it.
Such hot rhetoric. Decent folks are just doing their best under conditions created by the Left, conditions that have been festering for decades in schools and in the social engineering that really started strutting in the sixties.

These MAGA forces are not fascist. They are anti-swamp. The swamp are the unelected who make the rules and regulations to keep the blame off Jane Congress. The elected do the bidding of the more influential swamp denizens. The less influential just stuff the ballot boxes.

What's happening now is China. China is flexing and weak, confused Brandon is stumbling around, squinting at the script. Abandoning thousands of Americans in Afghanistan prompts China to say, we just might murder your high-ranking politician when she flies to Taipei, Brandon. What say you?

And it's not empty words. China is loaded for bear. The US is loaded for Tranny Awareness.