The Curious Case of the stolen Jaffa Cakes!

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Vitruvius

The Curious Case of the stolen Jaffa Cakes!

Post by Vitruvius »

Jaffa Cakes allegation prompts Halifax PC's misconduct hearing
Published 25 minutes ago

It is alleged that two packets of Jaffa Cakes were taken from Halifax police station's charity tuck shop

A police officer is to face a misconduct hearing after being accused of taking Jaffa Cakes from a charity tuck shop without paying.

PC Chris Dwyer is alleged to have taken the items from the canteen at Halifax police station in January.

The officer is accused of breaching West Yorkshire Police's professional standards in regard to integrity, honesty and discreditable conduct.

The hearing is due to take place between 11 and 14 October.

West Yorkshire Police said another officer had emptied the police station's charity tuck shop cash tin at about 22:00 GMT on 21 January, leaving six 10p pieces and two 20p pieces in the tin as a float.

Later that evening, PC Dwyer is said to have visited the canteen and taken two packets of Jaffa cakes, priced at 50p each.

The cash tin was later checked and it contained the same amount of money as earlier plus an extra two 5p coins.

PC Dwyer is accused of failing to make appropriate payment for the items and also providing dishonest accounts when questioned about the matter.

Punishments for misconduct include verbal or written warnings, suspension, demotion or transfer and dismissal

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-58842137
Vitruvius

Re: The Curious Case of the stolen Jaffa Cakes!

Post by Vitruvius »

I already know what I think. I'm interested to hear what y'all make of it before I say. I think it's interesting because on the one hand it's such a low value crime - but on the other, it's a police officer who stole from a charity. I don't know what charity it was - I've tried to find out with no luck. I don't think that information would effect the ethical calculus, but it might - if, for example it were an inhouse police charity fund raiser, rather than some big charity conglomerate running the tuckshop. Anyhow.... thoughts?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Perhaps he should get the death penalty :|
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Vitruvius wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:48 pm I already know what I think. I'm interested to hear what y'all make of it before I say.
I think jaffa cakes are really, really good.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

In a parallel story, somebody broke into a bakery in Bristol and made off with several custard cakes.

Local police say they are "not worrying themselves over trifles."
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

tuck shop...

buying a friar isn't that sweet...

-Imp
copequally

Post by copequally »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:50 pm In a parallel story, somebody broke into a bakery in Bristol and made off with several custard cakes. basket random

Local police say they are "not worrying themselves over trifles."
It couldn't be a trivial matter. :)