What is the Point of Ethics?

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Immanuel Can

Re: What is the Point of Ethics?

Post by Immanuel Can »

commonsense wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:20 pm Thanks.
You're most welcome.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:14 pm
commonsense wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:20 pm Thanks.
You're most welcome.
SO.

Ethicaly being nice is ethical. As in I own a gun and can ethically blow your head off, even if I mistook you for a person that was attempting to steal my wife's socks.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:28 pm Ethicaly being nice is ethical.
Sorry, Atto...I don't understand whatever point it is you're trying to make.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:06 pm
Sculptor wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:19 am
san wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:43 pm I think Ethics is to solve Ethics, to solve Ethical Dilemmas.

When a Dilemma is presented, an ethical system solves the dilemma. It is usually determined that the act of solving a dilemma is good. (The specific individual interrogation of the dilemma or of another's solution is the debate of Ethics and thus out of the specific scope of my inquiry. The importance of the intent of Ethics as a whole rather than the many debates within Ethics is to what I'm referring.)

It is Ethical to solve Ethical dilemmas. Does that mean the intent of Ethics is to be Ethical?
I do not think that Ethics is best used to solve problems, but to suggest alternatives and to show consequences and inconsistencies.

A dilemma implies at least two pathways. Either choice can be made, Ethics shows the way through and what that might mean in terms of an underlying paradigm.
This is not typically an area I bother to delve in, since i find it extremely boring.

But since atheists insist there is nothing beyond the love of a bloke...

SO.

Since we are SOCIAL ANIMALS certainly it MUST make sense that we behave ETHICALY - or ELSE?
You'd do better responding to posts actually directed at you, rather than sticking your big fat theist arse into the conversation and making a fool of yourself yet again.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:56 pm
Sculptor wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:19 am

I do not think that Ethics is best used to solve problems, but to suggest alternatives and to show consequences and inconsistencies.

A dilemma implies at least two pathways. Either choice can be made, Ethics shows the way through and what that might mean in terms of an underlying paradigm.
This is not typically an area I bother to delve in, since i find it extremely boring.

SO.

Since we are SOCIAL ANIMALS certainly it MUST make sense that we behave ETHICALY - or ELSE?
You'd do better responding to posts actually directed at you, rather than sticking your big fat theist arse into the conversation and making a fool of yourself yet again.
Pfff...clearly Sculptor is into big fat arses, a typical sodomite of the silver spoon class.

The fact that he still sees purely in atheist and theist terms is TEST_AMEN_T of his lack of TIME.

So, as per the post you are attemptimg to take the piss out of......
"Since we are SOCIAL ANIMALS certainly it MUST make sense that we behave ETHICALY - or ELSE?"

..perhaps my dear Chaz, you could at least provide a reasonable answer? (I doubt it Sculptor is a dead ****)
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:23 pm
Sculptor wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:56 pm

SO.

Pfff...clearly Sculptor is into big fat arses, a typical sodomite of the silver spoon class.

The fact that he still sees purely in atheist and theist terms is TEST_AMEN_T of his lack of TIME.

So, as per the post you are attemptimg to take the piss out of......
"Since we are SOCIAL ANIMALS certainly it MUST make sense that we behave ETHICALY - or ELSE?"

..perhaps my dear Chaz, you could at least provide a reasonable answer? (I doubt it Sculptor is a dead ****)
Dear Chazdoggy you are a credit to your religion
uwot

Post by uwot »

uwot wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:32 am
Walker wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:48 amFor instance, Leftists in the Congress with a hair-slim majority, in cahoots with the president, have been trying to ram through all kinds of unconstitutional laws that will cripple the country...
Name one.
You can't because it's not true, is it Walker? That ought to be enough for you to stop believing it, don't you think?
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Trying to figure out by whatever means and what it means to be good...and how to respond to that which is not good based on whatever is denoted or accepted as good or bad.
Walker

Post by Walker »

uwot wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:16 am
uwot wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:32 am
Walker wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:48 amFor instance, Leftists in the Congress with a hair-slim majority, in cahoots with the president, have been trying to ram through all kinds of unconstitutional laws that will cripple the country...
Name one.
You can't because it's not true, is it Walker? That ought to be enough for you to stop believing it, don't you think?
Do your own research.
Walker

Post by Walker »

The point is sharp, or dull.

The point of ethics is why so many are now shouting, "Let's go Brandon!"*

* Relevance: shouting is an application of ethics.
Physical action defines choice, intent, and also "application."
uwot

Post by uwot »

Walker wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:05 pmDo your own research.
I have; that's how I know you are talking out your arse. Nothing proposed by the Democratic Party is unconstitutional and obediently parroting right wing propaganda is not research.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

stevie wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:22 am Referring to the definitions provided here I'd opt for 2 c "a guiding philosophy". Thus the point of ethics is simply an individual way/conduct of life that entails what is desired.
Agree to a certain extent, but Guided by what?

As I had stated in my earlier post, Ethics [Applied] are guided by [Pure] verified and justified objective moral principles.
stevie

Post by stevie »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:15 am
stevie wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:22 am Referring to the definitions provided here I'd opt for 2 c "a guiding philosophy". Thus the point of ethics is simply an individual way/conduct of life that entails what is desired.
Agree to a certain extent, but Guided by what?
An idea or a set of ideas of the corresponding philosophy.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:15 am As I had stated in my earlier post, Ethics [Applied] are guided by [Pure] verified and justified objective moral principles.
That there are or can be "[Pure] verified and justified objective moral principles" is itself an idea of a guiding philosophy.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

The technical term for an ethical theory that regards, "what is desired," as the ultimate principle is called hedonism. Getting what one wants can be an objective of ethics, but not the guide to how to get it. No matter what you want, you cannot do just anything to achieve or have it, and it's, "what you have to do to get or achieve what you want," that ethics would have to provide.
stevie

Post by stevie »

RCSaunders wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:39 pm
The technical term for an ethical theory that regards, "what is desired," as the ultimate principle is called hedonism.
Not necessarily because hedonism refers to desiring sensual pleasures. But there may be also goals desired that are not hedonism, goals like "peace of mind", "being more compassionate", "being a good father/mother", "being less egocentric", etc.
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:39 pm Getting what one wants can be an objective of ethics, but not the guide to how to get it.
Correct therefore it has been said that the guide is the philosophy that has been called "a guiding philosophy".
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:39 pm No matter what you want, you cannot do just anything to achieve or have it, and it's, "what you have to do to get or achieve what you want," that ethics would have to provide.
As stated in the quote above there are several definitions of "ethics" and I've opted for "a guiding philosophy". And since there are many philosophies one needs a criterion to select one and I think the natural criterion is to achieve what is desired (in life) by means of this "guiding philosophy". Of course you are free to opt for another definition of "ethics".