Should the Mentally Ill Be Restricted from Owning Guns?

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Should the Mentally Ill Be Restricted from Owning Guns?

Post by Gary Childress »

If a person is unstable mentally, say with bipolar disorder or depression, should they be denied access to firearms? It seems like we've had a few mentally unstable people go on shooting sprees recently in the US. Would it help to have mandatory background checks on people to make sure they don't have a mental illness? What about mandatory psychological testing before the purchase of any gun to prove that a person is not mentally unstable?
Terrapin Station

Re: Should the Mentally Ill Be Restricted from Owning Guns?

Post by Terrapin Station »

Federal law in the US already prohibits gun sales to people with a history of mental illness.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:39 am What about mandatory psychological testing before the purchase of any gun to prove that a person is not mentally unstable?
That sounds like a good idea.

A great number of the human population is mentally unstable, and it doesn't make sense to hand them weapons and hope they can "hold it together".

Upholding/supporting their supposed "rights" to own weapons is not upholding/supporting other's "rights" to live. How does that even make sense?
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

Lacewing wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:49 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:39 am What about mandatory psychological testing before the purchase of any gun to prove that a person is not mentally unstable?
That sounds like a good idea.

A great number of the human population is mentally unstable, and it doesn't make sense to hand them weapons and hope they can "hold it together".

Upholding/supporting their supposed "rights" to own weapons is not upholding/supporting other's "rights" to live. How does that even make sense?
if they want to take out groups of people there's more than one way to do that. guns aren't mandatory for taking out thy neighbor, its media friendly for 2nd amendment controversy.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

DPMartin wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:38 pm if they want to take out groups of people there's more than one way to do that.
Why is that a reason to put guns in their hands?
DPMartin wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:38 pmguns aren't mandatory for taking out thy neighbor, its media friendly for 2nd amendment controversy.
Blaming the media for everything is lazy. We need to think smarter. How is arming everyone -- regardless of their mental imbalance -- intelligent or appropriate?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Wasn't too long ago that homosexuality was considered a mental illness.

Should gays have been prohibited from owning a firearm based on what amounts to a shifty, shifting, definition of sanity?

Schizophrenia can be debilitating, but, with treatment, can be largely controlled: should folks with controlled schizophrenia be disallowed from owning a gun?

Here, in 'murica, certain strains of political thought are bein' categorized as extreme, bordering on psychotic.

Should folks with currently unpopular views be prevented from owning a firearm?

Who sets the bar?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:04 pm Wasn't too long ago that homosexuality was considered a mental illness.

Should gays have been prohibited from owning a firearm based on what amounts to a shifty, shifting, definition of sanity?

Schizophrenia can be debilitating, but, with treatment, can be largely controlled: should folks with controlled schizophrenia be disallowed from owning a gun?

Here, in 'murica, certain strains of political thought are bein' categorized as extreme, bordering on psychotic.

Who sets the bar?
A psychological test doesn't need to get tangled up in all of that.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Lacewing wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:15 pm
henry quirk wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:04 pm Wasn't too long ago that homosexuality was considered a mental illness.

Who sets the bar?
As I say, not too long ago, homosexuality was viewed as mental illness...by psychologists...who ran tests.

They were wrong then, they can be wrong now.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:55 pm

Who sets the bar?
As I say, not too long ago, homosexuality was viewed as mental illness...by psychologists...who ran tests.

So, what do you suggest?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Lacewing wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:59 pm

So, what do you suggest?
Innocent till proven guilty.

Don't punish before a crime is committed.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:39 am If a person is unstable mentally, say with bipolar disorder or depression, should they be denied access to firearms? It seems like we've had a few mentally unstable people go on shooting sprees recently in the US. Would it help to have mandatory background checks on people to make sure they don't have a mental illness? What about mandatory psychological testing before the purchase of any gun to prove that a person is not mentally unstable?
Guns ought to be permitted on a need to own basis.
Since the only valid practical use for a fire-arm is to commit a crime, I see no reason why anyone should be permitted to own one.
A strict licencing system ought to be the norm, and loss of licence ought to follow any infraction much the same as we licence car driving. Why not guns too.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Terrapin Station wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:48 pm Federal law in the US already prohibits gun sales to people with a history of mental illness.
A person that commits the crime of a mass shooting has a mental illness.
So, clearly the prohibition does not go far enough.

Without a proper licencing system to onus is placed on the police to prove mental instability, as there is a presumption of a right to own.

I suggest mental competance ought to be established to gain a licence. Ownership without a licence needs to attract sever deterent punishment.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:44 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:39 am If a person is unstable mentally, say with bipolar disorder or depression, should they be denied access to firearms? It seems like we've had a few mentally unstable people go on shooting sprees recently in the US. Would it help to have mandatory background checks on people to make sure they don't have a mental illness? What about mandatory psychological testing before the purchase of any gun to prove that a person is not mentally unstable?
Since the only valid practical use for a fire-arm is to commit a crime, I see no reason why anyone should be permitted to own one.
A strict licencing system ought to be the norm, and loss of licence ought to follow any infraction much the same as we licence car driving. Why not guns too.
People also use guns for sport hunting and recreational target practice. If people are safe and responsible, then those activities can be engaged in safely. Unfortunately, not everyone is mature and responsible enough to handle firearms appropriately, it seems. So I agree that such things should be licensed and any infraction results in the suspension of that license. And I believe that mental illness should preclude one from being able to own or possess a firearm.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:10 pm
Lacewing wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:59 pm

So, what do you suggest?
Innocent till proven guilty.

Don't punish before a crime is committed.
I believe Ireland has very strict gun ownership laws. I believe almost no one is allowed to carry them there. And they don't have the same problems we have with gun violence. Unfortunately, after the fact seems to mean, after people get murdered. In both recent cases, If I understand correctly, I believe people close to the perpetrators saw signs and didn't say anything or else alerted authorities and nothing was done.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:50 pm
Sculptor wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:44 pm
People also use guns for sport hunting and recreational target practice.
I would suggest that is mostly a vanity that the USA cannot afford to continue to persue. However if the NRA had a more sensible policy on licencing I see no reason this could not continue. As it is the NRA seem quite happy for there to be more guns than enough to keep criminals well supplied.
If people are safe and responsible, then those activities can be engaged in safely. Unfortunately, not everyone is mature and responsible enough to handle firearms appropriately, it seems. So I agree that such things should be licensed and any infraction results in the suspension of that license. And I believe that mental illness should preclude one from being able to own or possess a firearm.