reparations are evil

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

reparations are evil

Post by Advocate »

If reparations are to be paid, let it be from the French, Spanish, and English aristocrats that took all the benefit. If you use my taxes to do it, you're as bad as them.

But, there is literally no possible way to make a fair equation for determining who benefited or was harmed or in any sense how that propagated through til today. The whole concept is bullshit; emotional blackmail.
Advocate

Re: reparations are evil

Post by Advocate »

Slavery existed through all history Until white americans undertook to abolish it. I need reparations from the black community for all my good work abolishing slavery.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Advocate wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:33 pm Slavery existed through all history Until white americans undertook to abolish it. I need reparations from the black community for all my good work abolishing slavery.
Well, if reparations are the point...

How much do the distant ancestors of the "oppressors" have to pay to the distant ancestors of the "victims," in order never to hear about it again? What's the dollar figure, or other compensations, that balance off whatever evil was done? Because evil's not infinite; and if it can be "reparated" at all, then that is a dollar figure. How much is it?

Secondly, to whom shall we pay it? Who is the legitimate recipient, given that the victims have all died, and several generations have passed since both slavery and segregation? Where do we send the cheque?

When those two questions are answered, then maybe we can solve the problem...
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

after every square inch of land is returned to the tribes, we can talk about reparations...

-Imp
Walker

Post by Walker »

Advocate wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:33 pm Slavery existed through all history Until white americans undertook to abolish it. I need reparations from the black community for all my good work abolishing slavery.
Republicans undertook to abolish slavery.

Democrats undertook to preserve slavery.

So, if reparations are to be paid, let the Democrats pay it. They're responsible.

However, Democrats are adept at running cities into the ground with idiotic policies and cynical corruption, then printing money so that everyone has to pay their piper, so they won't really pay for their ignorant view of life.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Walker post_id=502485 time=1615822457 user_id=11599]
[quote=Advocate post_id=502237 time=1615736028 user_id=15238]
Slavery existed through all history Until white americans undertook to abolish it. I need reparations from the black community for all my good work abolishing slavery.
[/quote]
Republicans undertook to abolish slavery.

Democrats undertook to preserve slavery.

So, if reparations are to be paid, let the Democrats pay it. They're responsible.

However, Democrats are adept at running cities into the ground with idiotic policies and cynical corruption, then printing money so that everyone has to pay their piper, so they won't really pay for their ignorant view of life.
[/quote]

So the point about "through all history" just didn't matter, eh? Let's all use this opportunity to attack the our current most-hated version of government that has literally nothing whatever to do with the history of slavery.
Last edited by Advocate on Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Advocate wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:42 pm So the point about "through all history" just didn't matter, eh? Let's all use this opportunity to attack the our current must-hated version of government that has literally nothing whatever to do with the history of slavery.
Simply clarifying your observation, which erroneously included President Lincoln and his supporters with all those who thought that slavery is the way to go, and should be tolerated.

Democratic Party enslavement/mentality, view of reality, has many manifestations throughout history, which continues to be written.

The current iteration is to enslave the entire population.

Another is to tell you what you can and cannot say.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:19 pm
How much do the distant ancestors of the "oppressors" have to pay to the distant ancestors of the "victims,"
You mean descendants, not ancestors.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

commonsense wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:06 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:19 pm
How much do the distant ancestors of the "oppressors" have to pay to the distant ancestors of the "victims,"
Heh. :D Yes, of course. You're correct.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=commonsense post_id=502555 time=1615835194 user_id=14610]
[quote="Immanuel Can" post_id=502354 time=1615745956 user_id=9431]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It's an equivalent amount of nonsense either way.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Advocate wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:13 pm
commonsense wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:06 pm You mean descendants, not ancestors.
So who gets the money, A? You?

And who pays it?

And how much?
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote="Immanuel Can" post_id=502563 time=1615836131 user_id=9431]
[quote=Advocate post_id=502559 time=1615835596 user_id=15238]
[quote=commonsense post_id=502555 time=1615835194 user_id=14610]
[/quote]
[/quote]

And who pays it?

And how much?
[/quote]

Nobody, no, nobody, and nothing. Your straw man is now a parody of itself. I've never supported reparations.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Advocate wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:23 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:22 pm
Advocate wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:13 pm

And who pays it?

And how much?
Nobody, no, nobody, and nothing. I've never supported reparations.
Well, then, what are you arguing about? Just confused? Or did you mean to introduce a topic not because you believed in it, but as an occasion merely to say how much you didn't?
ReverendGrandmother

Post by ReverendGrandmother »

Robert Nozick has an interesting - and very compelling argument for reparations as well as a suggestion on how it might be done - and he is coming at it from a strong Libertarian perspective:

https://www.libertarianism.org/columns/ ... sic-income

Cheers,
Grandma
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Almost all group activity attempts to exploit the art and science of extortion. Reparations are no different [other than the methodology being used is a bit more incendiary].

When the elite and professional/administrative leadership of the country participate in one of the all-time most egregious fleecings in history, other groups will see this as a green light and become quite bold by advancing their equally wonderful plan in order to take a cut of the action.

Same shit, different day...