"for your security"

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

"for your security"

Post by Advocate »

The Only security problem i have is stupid tech companies (or government) deciding they have either the right or the ability to make security decisions on my behalf. Whether or not there was any potential security problem otherwise, i feel, and actually am, less secure knowing a big tech company (or government) gets to do things their way on my own devices with no input or consent from me.
Last edited by Advocate on Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skepdick

Re: "for your security"

Post by Skepdick »

Advocate wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:04 pm The Only security problem i have is stupid tech companies (or government) deciding they have either the right or the ability to make security decisions on my behalf. Whether or not their was any potential security problem otherwise, i feel, and actually am, less secure knowing a big tech company (or government) gets to do things their way on my own devices with no input or consent from me.
You suffer from the illusion of control.

If security is an on-going process (patching, monitoring, penetration testing, bug-fixing, appsec, opsec, netsec, infrasec) do you really think a lone-soldier such as yourself has the economies of scale to invest in all the necessary areas of concern to keep yourself secure?

I used to think like you, until I ended up working at Google and AWS. They invest hundreds of thousands engineering-hours on tackling those operational/technical problems for everyone. Turns out there are problems about problems in security that I hadn't even thought about - how do you fix security holes you don't know about? A lone soldier cannot succeed in a hostile territory except by luck.

I accept that I am the little Remora-fish swimming next to the big-daddy shark for my protection. And I benefit from it!
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Skepdick post_id=499479 time=1614359336 user_id=17350]
You suffer from the illusion of control.
[/quote]

I don't even believe in free will so i have no idea what you're blathering on about.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Advocate wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:27 pm I don't even believe in free will so i have no idea what you're blathering on about.
Que? Where do all your "problems" come from?

If you don't want to change anything - how can you have any problems?
Advocate wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:27 pm The Only security problem i have is stupid tech companies (or government) deciding they have either the right or the ability to make security decisions on my behalf.
How could anybody decide anything on the behalf of somebody who doesn't have free will? There were no decisions to be made in the first place
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Skepdick post_id=499492 time=1614360601 user_id=17350]
[quote=Advocate post_id=499489 time=1614360425 user_id=15238]
I don't even believe in free will so i have no idea what you're blathering on about.
[/quote]
Que? Where do all your "problems" come from?

If you don't want to change anything - how can you have any problems?

[quote=Advocate post_id=499489 time=1614360425 user_id=15238]
The Only security problem i have is stupid tech companies (or government) deciding they have either the right or the ability to make security decisions on my behalf.
[/quote]
How could anybody decide anything on the behalf of somebody who doesn't have free will? There were no decisions to be made in the first place
[/quote]

Your response is full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Advocate wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:43 pm Your response is full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Without free will, so is your post - apparently.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Skepdick post_id=499501 time=1614361793 user_id=17350]
[quote=Advocate post_id=499497 time=1614361419 user_id=15238]
Your response is full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
[/quote]
Without free will, so is your post - apparently.
[/quote]

We live in the ignorance gap between chaos and causality. Your appeals to transcendent concepts, outside that gap, are why you can't get a foothold. You could have also solved philosophy by now.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Advocate wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:23 pm We live in the ignorance gap between chaos and causality.
And we are causal agents in that system. And we can know that (some) of our choices can alter the course of consequences.

That's what A/B testing is for.

Advocate wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:23 pm Your appeals to transcendent concepts, outside that gap, are why you can't get a foothold.
They don't fall outside the gap. The fall precisely in the gap between "chaos" and "causality".

Free will. Your ability to make informed choices.

“We know the past but cannot control it. We control the future but cannot know it.”
— Claude Shannon
Advocate wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:23 pm You could have also solved philosophy by now.
Yeah, but I decided to solve real-world problems instead and get rich while acting on my certainty.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Skepdick post_id=499510 time=1614364530 user_id=17350]
[quote=Advocate post_id=499506 time=1614363800 user_id=15238]
We live in the ignorance gap between chaos and causality.
[/quote]
And we are causal agents in that system. And we can know that (some) of our choices can alter the course of consequences.

That's what [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A/B_testing]A/B testing[/url] is for.

Your appeals to transcendent concepts, outside that gap, are why you can't get a foothold.
[/quote]
They don't fall outside the gap. The fall precisely in the gap between "chaos" and "causality".

Free will. Your ability to make informed choices.

“We know the past but cannot control it. We control the future but cannot know it.”
— Claude Shannon

You could have also solved philosophy by now.
[/quote]
Yeah, but I decided to solve real-world problems instead and get rich while acting on my certainty.
[/quote]

I am entirely uncertain whether we disagree or not. Of that i'm certain.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Advocate wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:47 pm I am entirely uncertain whether we disagree or not. Of that i'm certain.
We probably don't. I am not a disagreeable person, but when in Rome I do like the Romans.