AI Army

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Hermit Philosopher

Re: AI Army

Post by Hermit Philosopher »

bahman wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:40 pm
Hermit Philosopher wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:33 pm
bahman wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:18 pm
Why should we have any army at all in one united nation?

Indeed bahman,

But the OP does not address that question.
Here, I’m more interested in what the differences would be between armies that we have now and AI armies.

What do you reckon?

Humbly
Hermit
Less human loss. In the end, the winner confiscates the property of the loser.

Less human loss, yes, I think so too.
Less ex-military among our homeless, perhaps also...
If not less, then at least a different sort of trauma-related effect on soldiers...?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Hermit Philosopher wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:48 pm
Hermit Philosopher wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:33 pm

Indeed bahman,

But the OP does not address that question.
Here, I’m more interested in what the differences would be between armies that we have now and AI armies.

What do you reckon?

Humbly
Hermit

If not less, then at least a different sort of trauma-related effect on soldiers...?
There are no soldiers if the army is made of AI.
Hermit Philosopher

Post by Hermit Philosopher »

bahman wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:55 pm
Hermit Philosopher wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:48 pm

There are no soldiers if the army is made of AI.

Ideally no, there wouldn’t be ...but I thought it too confident to suggest that AI it could eliminate the suffering of soldiers (after all, there may still be - not foot-soldiers per se - but plenty of human army-tech-personnel and what do I know about their potential to suffer...). Best keep it modest.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

DPMartin wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:18 pm i realize most here wouldn't see ai as mechanized but it is. its still designed to do this or that in certain circumstances. a weapon that can adjust on the fly is nothing new. and there's always a point where one must pull the trigger.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Drones, ICBMs, even tanks—they’re mechanized, computerized and triggered by humans. An AI military isn’t a future prediction—it’s here now.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:35 pm
DPMartin wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:18 pm i realize most here wouldn't see ai as mechanized but it is. its still designed to do this or that in certain circumstances. a weapon that can adjust on the fly is nothing new. and there's always a point where one must pull the trigger.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Drones, ICBMs, even tanks—they’re mechanized, computerized and triggered by humans. An AI military isn’t a future prediction—it’s here now.
in a sense, you're right, and that illustrates my point up-thread about risk and incentives

drones and missiles in particular: these remove man from the theatre, make war much less risky

missiles and drones work, today, becuz it's a one-sided affair: we, for example, have them while, for example, islamists don't

we can snipe remotely or bunker-bust and they can only be sniped or busted

but: technology disseminates (especially war technology)...at some point there's parity and war becomes chess (or, as you say, a video game), then there's the mad scramble to find the next killing machine, one superior to the enemy's, one that reduces risk further

easy war = continuous war

quickest, cleanest end to a war might be -- again -- puttin' elected, appointed, anointed, and hereditary leaders (the architects of war) on the frontlines...with nuthin' but machetes to offend or defend with...or, we could just hang the lot in the public square...or, mebbe, just stop listenin' to 'em...or, just stop installin' 'em (or lettin' them self-install) in-office

seven billion of us bulldogged by a few million bureaucrats, technocrats, arms dealers, and soldiers, what a friggin' disgrace

'nuff said
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:12 am
commonsense wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:35 pm
in a sense, you're right, and that illustrates my point up-thread about risk and incentives

drones and missiles in particular: these remove man from the theatre, make war much less risky

missiles and drones work, today, becuz it's a one-sided affair: we, for example, have them while, for example, islamists don't

we can snipe remotely or bunker-bust and they can only be sniped or busted

but: technology disseminates (especially war technology)...at some point there's parity and war becomes chess (or, as you say, a video game), then there's the mad scramble to find the next killing machine, one superior to the enemy's, one that reduces risk further

easy war = continuous war

quickest, cleanest end to a war might be -- again -- puttin' elected, appointed, anointed, and hereditary leaders (the architects of war) on the frontlines...with nuthin' but machetes to offend or defend with...or, we could just hang the lot in the public square...or, mebbe, just stop listenin' to 'em...or, just stop installin' 'em (or lettin' them self-install) in-office

seven billion of us bulldogged by a few million bureaucrats, technocrats, arms dealers, and soldiers, what a friggin' disgrace

'nuff said
Well said