AI Army

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Hermit Philosopher

Re: AI Army

Post by Hermit Philosopher »

Advocate wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:40 pm
Hermit Philosopher wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:22 pm
henry quirk wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:04 pm necessity: I really need slave labor...next door, they got a surplus of healthy, young folk
advocate sez my cause is just, so it's WAR!

I trust you see that you still haven't answered the question
no infinite regress questions needed (just specificity, from you)

Hmm...

What if there’s an army about to invade and occupy your territory...? Or worse; what if they just intend to use your territory to get at your neighbour’s and occupy theirs...? You’d be stuck in the middle... their war may be carried out in your own backyard even.

And, if you were to conclude that some such scenario were to justify war, but you had a choice to either send living beings defend your territory or send AI to do it, what would be the pro’s/con’s of either choice...?
You should know, you'll never get this lot to stay on topic.
Haha yes. (but I can try...) 😉
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

you had a choice to either send living beings defend your territory or send AI to do it, what would be the pro’s/con’s of either choice...?

I answered already, up-thread

man, not his robots, should fight his battles

more generally: don't rely on proxies

defend yourself in the moment; don't hide in the shitter and wait for the cops

-----

You should know, you'll never get this lot to stay on topic.

the meanderin' of threads is one of this place's pluses (mostly cuz it blunts and frustrates the control freaks)
henry quirk

and since my good friend advocate won't answer, I will...

Post by henry quirk »

as a moral realist I believe the only just war is one where a nation or people self-defends, or comes to the defense of another hapless nation or people

I know of no nation -- includin' my beloved 'murica -- that adheres to such a thing

bottomline: it ain't necessity that makes the war just; it's principle (and not just any old, pulled-out-of-the-closet-and-dusted-off-for-the-day, principle either)
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Advocate wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:46 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:41 pm I don't think there's anything inhumane (or "unnatural" etc.) about killing in self-defense, killing when you're at war with someone, etc. I'd rather see it as "unnatural" to not defend oneself.
FFS! You can't say there are any just acts in furtherance of an unjust war, and you've just ignored whether the war was justified!
Please school me on the difference between an unjust war and a justified one.

Thx
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Impenitent wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:54 pm
henry quirk wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:53 pm
Advocate wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:46 pm

FFS! You can't say there are any just acts in furtherance of an unjust war, and you've just ignored whether the war was justified!
what makes a war just or unjust?
the victors write the history and the morality

-Imp
I suppose the victors would call it justified and the defeated would not. On what basis could the victors claim they won a justified war?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Hermit Philosopher wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:57 pm Considering that soldiers are people, trained to do inhumane things, which they suffer greatly from having to do; how do we feel about a future AI army?

Humbly
Hermit
Consider this—ultimately there’s a human(s) who constructs and powers up an AI. A human is responsible for the killing done by a killer AI.

The benefit of an AI military is that human soldiers might enjoy a greater likelihood of remaining unharmed.

If all the humans in a war run little risk of harm, then, as HQ pointed out, there would be no incentive to stop fighting.

The war would become an endless video game.

I agree with Henry; without risking a loss—of life, liberty or property—there’s no incentive for peace.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

I wonder what would have happened if Trump has bought an army of 1 thousand robots that accept his every command, prior to his political failure?

LEGISLATION NOW PLEASE!!
Hermit Philosopher

commonsense wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:13 am.../I agree with Henry; without risking a loss—of life, liberty or property—there’s no incentive for peace.

Dear commonsense

Many thanks for joining in.
Yes, the idea that an incentive for peace be required, is new to me, but I find it an interesting one.

Humbly
Hermit
Hermit Philosopher

attofishpi wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:24 am I wonder what would have happened if Trump has bought an army of 1 thousand robots that accept his every command, prior to his political failure?

LEGISLATION NOW PLEASE!!

Hah! Yes, I hear you attofishpi
Though metaphorically, has he sort of got that already...?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

commonsense wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:39 am
henry quirk wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:53 pm

what makes a war just or unjust?

-Imp
I suppose the victors would call it justified and the defeated would not. On what basis could the victors claim they won a justified war?
simply, they are there to make the claim...

-Imp
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Impenitent wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:44 pm
commonsense wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:39 am

-Imp
simply, they are there to make the claim...

-Imp
Yes, of course
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

Hermit Philosopher wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:57 pm Considering that soldiers are people, trained to do inhumane things, which they suffer greatly from having to do; how do we feel about a future AI army?

Humbly
Hermit
mechanized warfare has been going on for some time now, and its always going to be who gets the power first, and can use it successfully. the capability of using those drones they use to do orchestrated designs in the night sky for swarm like attacks would be quite an evil thing to be facing.

you could suppress who communities without firing one shot.

i realize most here wouldn't see ai as mechanized but it is. its still designed to do this or that in certain circumstances. a weapon that can adjust on the fly is nothing new. and there's always a point where one must pull the trigger.
Last edited by DPMartin on Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Humbly
Hermit
Why should we have any army at all in one united nation?
Hermit Philosopher

bahman wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:18 pm

Humbly
Hermit

Indeed bahman,

But the OP does not address that question.
Here, I’m more interested in what the differences would be between armies that we have now and AI armies.

What do you reckon?

Humbly
Hermit
bahman

Post by bahman »

Hermit Philosopher wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:33 pm
bahman wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:18 pm

Humbly
Hermit

Indeed bahman,

But the OP does not address that question.
Here, I’m more interested in what the differences would be between armies that we have now and AI armies.

What do you reckon?

Humbly
Hermit
Less human loss. In the end, the winner confiscates the property of the loser.