Identity Politics

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

mickthinks

Re: Identity Politics

Post by mickthinks »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:33 am ... where did we miss each other...
Skepdick wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:41 am... where you missed me ...
No, I want you to tell me why you insist on being an arse.
Last edited by mickthinks on Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

mickthinks wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:46 am No, I want you to tell me why you insist on being a douche.
Just as soon as you tell me when you stopped raping children.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

mickthinks wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:46 am
Skepdick wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:33 am ... where did we miss each other...
Skepdick wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:41 am... where you missed me ...
For the autistic kid...

"Where did we miss each other" is the courteous way of saying "Idiot, you are not hearing me" without actually blaming you for the fuckup in communication (despite the precise definition I gave you).
"Where you missed me" is being more direct/blunt when the courtesy went over your head.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=mickthinks post_id=494878 time=1612687603 user_id=59]
[quote=Skepdick post_id=494875 time=1612686803 user_id=17350] ... where did we miss each other...[/quote][quote=Skepdick post_id=494877 time=1612687317 user_id=17350]... where you missed me ...[/quote]

[/quote]

He's a dick. Didn't you see that in his title? That's not relevant to whether he's right tho (he's usually not).
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

>What is "identity"?

Our psychological attachment to the particular body/circumstances we find ourselves in.

>Do we need "identity"?

>How important is "identity"?

Yes and completely. Identity is indistinguishable from self/perspective. Everyone had one and they all determine how we interact in the world most of the time.

That's certainly not to say that any Particular sense of identity is valid or useful to good ends, but that they all exist and are all relevant.

>If we can ascribe value, what should be the most important things we use to identify ourselves? What are the least important?

It's not that we can, it's that we must. Your self-identity is entirely your own - no one can write your story for you (unless you let them, which is an abdication of your humanity). What's important is contingent upon the circumstances you find yourself in.
FrankGSterleJr

Post by FrankGSterleJr »

t a very young and therefore impressionable age, I was emphatically told by my mother (who's of Eastern European heritage) about the exceptionally kind and caring nature of our Black family doctor. She never had anything disdainful to say about people of color; in fact she loves to watch/listen to the Middle Eastern and Indian subcontinental dancers and musicians on the multicultural channels.

I believe this had a notably positive effect upon me.

Had she (for whatever reason) told me the opposite about the doctor, however, I could have aged while blindly linking his color with an unjustly cynical view of him and, eventually, all Black people.

When angry, my (now deceased) father occasionally expressed displeasure with Anglo immigrants, largely due to his own experiences with bigotry as a new Canadian citizen in the 1950s and ’60s.
He, who also emigrated from Eastern Europe, didn’t resent non-white immigrants, for he realized they had things at least as bad. Plus he noticed—as I also now do—in them an admirable absence of a sense of entitlement.

Therefore, essentially by chance, I reached adulthood unstricken by uncontrolled feelings of racial contempt seeking expression.

Not as lucky, some people—who may now be in an armed authority capacity—were raised with a distrust or blind dislike of other racial groups.