death with dignity

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Lacewing

Re: death with dignity

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:12 pm lace is a human cog (a person hoodwinked into believin' the boot on her neck is a good thing)
Henry, why do you have to lie and distort like this? It's absolute bullshit.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:15 am
henry quirk wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:12 pm lace is a human cog (a person hoodwinked into believin' the boot on her neck is a good thing)
it's just an opinion, lace...thicken your skin & put your big girl panties on...or not
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:35 am
it's just an opinion, lace...
Repeatedly you ignore that your baseless claims rely on lies and distortions. That's the level you must stoop to, to defend your ignorant asshole nature. And you'll never apologize for it because you "BELONG TO IT"! :lol:
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:10 pm
Advocate wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:53 pm
henry quirk wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:46 pm

A, I know you're a philosopher, that you think got the whole of everything pegged, and that folks ought to listen to you, but...

I don't care, I don't think so, and I won't

it is what it is, fella
...and he ambled off into the sunset, whistling a gypsy tune under his breath.
actually, I went got a cup of coffee
Henry, why is it you distrust intelligentsia? Answer: it is because honest lone cowhands such as yourself believe PR men who tell them all ruling elites are not to be trusted. This is good for some big man whose aim is to divide and rule.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Belinda post_id=484926 time=1608025310 user_id=12709]
[quote="henry quirk" post_id=484842 time=1607973058 user_id=472]
[quote=Advocate post_id=484841 time=1607971980 user_id=15238]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Henry, why is it you distrust intelligentsia? Answer: it is because honest lone cowhands such as yourself believe PR men who tell them all ruling elites are not to be trusted. This is good for some big man whose aim is to divide and rule.
[/quote]

Those of us wasting our time in a little-read forum on a vast internet where agreements are never reached are hardly ruling elites. Nor are our rulers elite.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:50 am
henry quirk wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:35 am
it's just an opinion, lace...
Repeatedly you ignore that your baseless claims rely on lies and distortions. That's the level you must stoop to, to defend your ignorant asshole nature. And you'll never apologize for it because you "BELONG TO IT"! :lol:
yeah, I've been overly hard on you, lace...for what it's worth: I apologize
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Belinda wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:41 am
Advocate wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:53 pm

the intelligentsia are crapsacks

balderdash

the ones lookin' to rule are intelligentsia or employ intelligentsia

which PR men?

my church leaders?

I have no church

my party leaders?

I have no party

philosophers?

just intelligentsia

ORANGE MAN?

I don't listen to weapons, I use them

so: which PR men, B?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Advocate wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:58 pm

Those of us wasting our time in a little-read forum on a vast internet where agreements are never reached are hardly ruling elites. Nor are our rulers elite.
pay B no mind...she's old & mebbe walkin' the path of smokin' joe, the houseplant
henry quirk

hey, B...

Post by henry quirk »

is Bill Maher part of the intelligentsia?
Advocate

Re: hey, B...

Post by Advocate »

[quote="henry quirk" post_id=485010 time=1608075661 user_id=472]
is Bill Maher part of the [i]intelligentsia[/i]?
[/quote]

Yes. He understands important issues at a level far beyond most people, but more importantly, how different ideas fit together.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Advocate wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:58 pm

The set of people who rule others are ruling elites by definition. Obviously Advocate and I sometimes do not use the same vocabulary.

Every society has a ruling elite, and ruling elite A when it becomes irrelevant will give way to ruling elite B and so forth. ''Elite' is not a value it's a necessary part of the accepted frame of reference for political scientists.
henry quirk

B...

Post by henry quirk »

Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Belinda post_id=485056 time=1608115694 user_id=12709]
[quote=Advocate post_id=484945 time=1608037138 user_id=15238]
[quote=Belinda post_id=484926 time=1608025310 user_id=12709]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The set of people who rule others are ruling elites by definition. Obviously Advocate and I sometimes do not use the same vocabulary.

Every society has a ruling elite, and ruling elite A when it becomes irrelevant will give way to ruling elite B and so forth. ''Elite' is not a value it's a necessary part of the accepted frame of reference for political scientists.
[/quote]

Elite must mean individually special, not just in a group that collectively has attribute x, especially when that attribute is not earned by any reasonable standard of dessert. The word loses all meaning when you use it to refer to things that can be granted by birth or circumstance. That common society likes to strip their words of actual meaning only bolsters my convention that we must not. It is not a necessary frame of reference, it's a fairly new use, and the wealthy assholes being called elites are only going to play it up in their media outlets. Navy SEALs are elite. Hedge fund managers are not. Chomsky is elite, Biden is not. I am an elite philosopher, Foucault is not.