solving racism

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: solving racism

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Skepdick wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:22 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:02 am What is a 'white name'??
So you are color AND culturally blind?

Jabulani, Mandla, Thabisa, Lerato <--- These are all traditional African names.

So a "white name" would me a name that lacks the connotation of being "traditionally African".
FFS. The ONLY thing landlords care about is getting their money and not having their property destroyed. If they've had bad experiences with people with supposedly 'black names' then it's hardly 'racist' for them to avoid those names in the future.
You do realise that Africa is a huge continent made up of many countries don't you?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:27 am FFS. The ONLY thing landlords care about is getting their money and not having their property destroyed. If they've had bad experiences of people with 'black names' then it's hardly 'racist' for them to avoid those names.
You do realise I am a landlord, right? So I demand higher deposits (to off-set my risk) from cultural groups with bad reputations.

Which is vastly different from denying them an opportunity to rent my property because other people like them did bad things.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:27 am You do realise that Africa is a huge continent made up of many countries don't you?
And New Zealand is a small place. Are you this ignorant of cultural Māori names also?

Post by Age »

Skepdick wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:30 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:27 am FFS. The ONLY thing landlords care about is getting their money and not having their property destroyed. If they've had bad experiences of people with 'black names' then it's hardly 'racist' for them to avoid those names.
You do realise I am a landlord, right?
Were they/we meant to?
Skepdick wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:30 am So I demand higher deposits (to off-set my risk) from cultural groups with bad reputations.
Now this would be one of the most racist comments going. So, which, so called, "cultural group", to you, has a, so called, "bad reputation"?

And, where did this "reputation" come from EXACTLY?

If you do provide your Truthful answers here, then your responses will be EXCELLENT instruments to use for ENLIGHTENING others.

By the way, how does it, logically, follow that if we already realized that you are a landlord so then you demand higher deposits, (from your own specifically selected groups of human beings)?
Skepdick wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:30 am Which is vastly different from denying them an opportunity to rent my property because other people like them did bad things.
It is still OBVIOUSLY 'racism'. No matter whatever way you want to portray 'it'.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:27 am You do realise that Africa is a huge continent made up of many countries don't you?
And New Zealand is a small place. Are you this ignorant of cultural Māori names also?
Also, have you still not been able to think of ANY other reason WHY there was a difference in the number of returned calls?

Post by Age »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:27 am
Skepdick wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:22 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:02 am What is a 'white name'??
So you are color AND culturally blind?

Jabulani, Mandla, Thabisa, Lerato <--- These are all traditional African names.

So a "white name" would me a name that lacks the connotation of being "traditionally African".
FFS. The ONLY thing landlords care about is getting their money and not having their property destroyed. If they've had bad experiences with people with supposedly 'black names' then it's hardly 'racist' for them to avoid those names in the future.
You do realise that Africa is a huge continent made up of many countries don't you?
How do you define the word 'racist'?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Age wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:08 pm
You do realise I am a landlord, right?
Were they/we meant to?
Skepdick wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:30 am So I demand higher deposits (to off-set my risk) from cultural groups with bad reputations.
Now this would be one of the most racist comments going. So, which, so called, "cultural group", to you, has a, so called, "bad reputation"?

And, where did this "reputation" come from EXACTLY?

If you do provide your Truthful answers here, then your responses will be EXCELLENT instruments to use for ENLIGHTENING others.

By the way, how does it, logically, follow that if we already realized that you are a landlord so then you demand higher deposits, (from your own specifically selected groups of human beings)?
Skepdick wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:30 am Which is vastly different from denying them an opportunity to rent my property because other people like them did bad things.
It is still OBVIOUSLY 'racism'. No matter whatever way you want to portray 'it'.
Also, have you still not been able to think of ANY other reason WHY there was a difference in the number of returned calls?
Age, you are tedious need for precision is tedious.

If you wish to ENLIGHTEN others, go ahead and do that without me.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Skepdick wrote:Your choices can harm other human beings in non-obvious ways.
henry quirk wrote:how so?
Skepdick wrote:Nameism (if you don't want to call it racism) deprives people of housing opportunities.
assuming' any of your story is true: there's nuthin' subtle or non-obvious there...and it seems more a mighty inconvenience than a harm (hurt feelings ain't harm [though it can seem that way])

and: a property owner should apply whatever standard he likes to his rentals, even if those standards are flat-out stupid

I'd still like to hear about this non-obvious harm
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:30 pm assuming' any of your story is true: there's nuthin' subtle or non-obvious there...and it seems more a mighty inconvenience than a harm (hurt feelings ain't harm [though it can seem that way])

and: a property owner should apply whatever standard he likes to his rentals, even if those standards are flat-out stupid

Sounds like your feelings were hurt

If a name carries a social premium quantified in lost time and denied opportunity, it's more than just "hurt feelings".
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Skepdick wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:23 pm
henry quirk wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:30 pm assuming' any of your story is true: there's nuthin' subtle or non-obvious there...and it seems more a mighty inconvenience than a harm (hurt feelings ain't harm [though it can seem that way])

Sounds like your feelings were hurt

If a name carries a social premium quantified in lost time and denied opportunity, it's more than just "hurt feelings".
hurt feelings is exactly what it is; a mighty inconvenience is exactly what it is

neither of you were injured

you were insulted: nuthin' more or less

you, of course, are free to frame that insult as you like (as injury), but not a soul is obligated to agree
Last edited by henry quirk on Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:39 pm hurt feelings is exactly what it is; a mighty inconvenience is exactly what it is

Thanks for telling us how we felt.

Why do you feel so stupid right now?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Skepdick wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:41 pm
henry quirk wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:39 pm hurt feelings is exactly what it is; a mighty inconvenience is exactly what it is

I don't

as I say: you, of course, are free to frame that insult as you like (as injury), but not a soul is obligated to agree
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:43 pm

I don't

as I say: you, of course, are free to frame that insult as you like (as injury), but not a soul is obligated to agree
Henry. You are feeling stupid right now.

Nothing more or less.

Why do you feel stupid?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Skepdick wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:43 pm

I don't

Nothing more. Nothing less.

Why do you feel stupid?
no, I feel quite intelligent: you, of course, are free to see me as stupid, but I'm not obligated to agree
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:44 pm

I don't

Why do you feel stupid?
no, I feel quite intelligent: you, of course, are free to see me as stupid, but I'm not obligated to agree
You are welcome to frame your stupidity as you like, not not a soul is obliged to agree.
Last edited by Skepdick on Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Skepdick wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:45 pm
henry quirk wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:44 pm

Why do you feel stupid?
You are welcome to frame your stupidity as you like, not not a soul is obliged to agree.
I know
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:46 pm I know
Great. It's settled.

Not a soul agrees that you are not stupid.