solving racism

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: solving racism

Post by Skepdick »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:48 am Your choices can harm other human beings in non-obvious ways.

how so?
Trivial example. When we first met my wife was looking to rent a new apartment.

Did the usual thing: browse adverts, request viewing/appointments. 20 requests - 2 returned phone calls.
Turns out this is common experience amongst black folk. A friend of hers recommended she uses a white name in communique.

Did that: 20 requests - 19 returned phone calls.

On principe we've run the experiment two more times. Similar results. As far as I am concerned this is testable and reproducible...

So like. Nameism (if you don't want to call it racism) deprives people of housing opportunities.
Last edited by Skepdick on Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Age »

Skepdick wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:57 am
henry quirk wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:48 am Your choices can harm other human beings in non-obvious ways.

how so?

Did the usual thing: browse adverts, request viewing/appointments. 20 requests - 2 returned phone calls.
Turns out this is common experience amongst black folk - they recommended she change her African name to a white name.

On matter of principle we've run the experiment 2 more times since. Same result.

So like. Nameism (if you don't want to call it racism) deprives people of housing opportunities.
There could not have been any other reasons at all?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Age wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:04 am There could not have been any other reasons at all?
If you can think of any variable (other than the name-change) let me know.

Will gladly test the alternative hypothesis.

Post by Age »

Skepdick wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:05 am
Age wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:04 am There could not have been any other reasons at all?

So, you can not think of any other reasons for the difference in returned number of calls?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Age wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:21 am So, you can not think of any other reasons for the difference in returned number of calls?
Ceteris paribus. The name-change is the only variable in the experiment.

Can you think of another?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Body piercings and tattoos and other eccentricities of appearance or vocabulary.

Old age

Certain sexual orientations

Physical and mental disability especially when the face is unusual

Unemployed

Low status occupations including students.

Crinimal record

Efforts to conceal the above. I personally would do so if I had to and if I could.
Last edited by Belinda on Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Age »

Skepdick wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:22 am
Age wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:21 am So, you can not think of any other reasons for the difference in returned number of calls?
Ceteris paribus. The name-change is the only variable in the experiment.

Can you think of another?
quid est aliud cogitandi - 'you' are thinking in completely different terms than I was, and am.

Can you REALLY not think of ANY other reason WHY there was a difference in the amount of returned calls?

Among most, if not all, human being made up experiments the results of the experiments could be for OTHER reasons than just the ones imagined or assumed.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Belinda wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:32 am Body piercings and tattoos and other eccentricities of appearance or vocabulary.

Old age

Unemployed

Crinimal record

Efforts to conceal the above. I personally would do so.
None of this information is available to the other party at the time the appointment is being made.

I am literally referring to the initial contact/engagement process and the simple failure to return calls/setup appointments.

On most websites it's just "Fill in your name and contact details and we'll get back to you...."

When you engage via whatsapp it's: "Hi, my name is XXX. I am interested in viewing so and so."

If your name is Monica you get one results.
if your name is Sisiwe you get another result.
Last edited by Skepdick on Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Age »

Belinda wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:32 am

Body piercings and tattoos and other eccentricities of appearance or vocabulary.

Old age

Unemployed

Crinimal record

These are just some, among others, but it was alleged that the deprivation of human beings from housing opportunities was made before sight of the human beings, themselves, is made, so some of the above would not be included.

Post by Age »

Skepdick wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:36 am
Belinda wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:32 am Body piercings and tattoos and other eccentricities of appearance or vocabulary.

Old age

Unemployed

Crinimal record

None of this information is available to the other party at the time the appointment is being made.

I am literally referring to the initial contact/engagement process and the simple failure to return calls/setup appointments.

On most websites it's just "Fill in your name and contact details and we'll get back to you...."

When you engage via whatsapp it's: "Hi, my name is XXX. I am interested in viewing so and so."
There you go, supposedly, NONE of the above are included, but this still does not take any thing away from the question I have posed.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Skepdick wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:57 am

how so?

Turns out this is common experience amongst black folk. A friend of hers recommended she uses a white name in communique.

On principe we've run the experiment two more times. Similar results. As far as I am concerned this is testable and reproducible...

What is a 'white name'??
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Old age

Unemployed

Crinimal record

Yes, sorry. I see.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Belinda wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:08 am

Old age

Unemployed

Crinimal record

Yes, sorry. I see.
E.g.If your nom de plume was not Skepdick by Scepdick, that would indicate you wrote English spellings.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:02 am What is a 'white name'??
So you are color AND culturally blind?

Jabulani, Mandla, Thabisa, Lerato <--- These are all common/traditional African names.

So a "white name" would me a name that lacks the connotation of being "traditionally African".

Steve, George, Mark, Jessica, Candice.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Belinda wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:13 am E.g.If your nom de plume was not Skepdick by Scepdick, that would indicate you wrote English spellings.
Yep. All that stuff is social/cultural connotation.

And people make various inferences from it, lacking any denotation.