extra costs of being poor

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Scott Mayers

Re: extra costs of being poor

Post by Scott Mayers »

Advocate wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:28 am Every time you pay rent, someone else benefits more than you because they're building equity with your money.
I often wonder why many home owners think that it is 'normal' to buy a second home to rent out as profit as though a great burden.(?!) For instance, I've known many who do this by fortune of credit alone to mortgage the rental home and then expect to charge rent sufficient enough to pay that mortage plus a little possible extra profit. Many don't bother to invest in repairs and expect the renter to leave the place in the identical (or better) way they came in as though they expect the renter to also defeat nature's normal capacity to depreciate the value of the home regardless.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

>Scott Mayers

I concur with everything you said, though your English seems tortured in spots. It's particularly sadistic for those with responsibility as a high priority to imagine everyone can "just" overcome the hardships of a society built by and for others before they were born, bolstered and perpetuated for many generations, or that everyone has the social contacts or social context in which to do that overcoming even if they have the power and resources otherwise, which they don't.
Last edited by Advocate on Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

Advocate wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:51 pm >Scott Mayers

I concur with everything you said, though your English seems tortured in spots. It's particularly sadistic for those with responsibility as a high priority to imagine everyone can just overcome the hardships of a society built by and for others before they were born, bolstered and perpetuated for many generations, or that everyone has the social contacts or social context in which to do that overcoming even if they have the power and resources otherwise, which they don't.
Sorry for any awkward reading of my writing. I spend a good deal of time with intended care but might begin a sentence and finish it an hour later! ...and in between I might have smoked something that made me forget how I begun the sentence :)

Thank you for your comments. I felt bad about misjudging your own preferences to prefer plain text but like many of your views too.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote="Scott Mayers" post_id=478362 time=1604416207 user_id=11118]
Sorry for any awkward reading of my writing. I spend a good deal of time with intended care but might begin a sentence and finish it an hour later! ...and in between I might have smoked something that made me forget how I begun the sentence :)

Thank you for your comments. I felt bad about misjudging your own preferences to prefer plain text but like many of your views too.
[/quote]

Never mind the prose, i know mine is tortured too, but too often people don't get feedback to know where they can improve, only insults. I've got both the smoking something issue and an ADD issue which vie for attention. My preference for dumping the formatting is that it's an extra insult to my attention-span. If technology doesn't "just work", i also have a short fuse for bad design and try to avoid it entirely.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Advocate wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:28 am Every time you pay rent, someone else benefits more than you because they're building equity with your money.
Who makes you pay rent? You don't have to live indoors.

Do you expect someone to supply your housing for free?
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=RCSaunders post_id=478481 time=1604452126 user_id=16196]
[quote=Advocate post_id=477982 time=1604204883 user_id=15238]
Every time you pay rent, someone else benefits more than you because they're building equity with your money.
[/quote]

[/quote]

From way before you were born, every molecule of ground is claimed by someone. There's no way to just live without someone else's permission. This should be obvious to everyone.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Advocate wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:32 am
RCSaunders wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:08 am

From way before you were born, every molecule of ground is claimed by someone. There's no way to just live without someone else's permission. This should be obvious to everyone.
What planet are you from? That is certainly not true on this planet.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=RCSaunders post_id=478593 time=1604505350 user_id=16196]
[quote=Advocate post_id=478484 time=1604453553 user_id=15238]

[/quote]

[/quote]
What planet are you from? That is certainly not true on this planet.
[/quote]

Excuse me, i meant to say obvious to everyone who lives on Earth and has two neurons capable of passing a signal. Every inch of land that has ever been "discovered" has been claimed, and the legal treaties to the contrary such as in the Arctic, a) don't apply to land b) won't be followed when it matters, c) don't apply to anyone else who can claim it at will. I claim any previously unclaimed land. There, now my statement is definitely true and you're still an idiot. And if you're trying to knock the "live without permission" part on a technicality, sure, you can evade it for a short while under certain very particular circumstances, but not for a lifetime, and increasingly less so every second technology advances.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

commonsense wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:24 pm The poor who have been given low credit scores will pay higher interests than financially stable individuals with high credit scores.
Things got so idiotic on the eve of the crash of 2008, that bonuses were so high to peddle sub-prime that thousands of sub-prime mortagages were sold to those that could well have had a standard package.
It was this shorts sightedness that represented the last straw in the crash, as a feeding frenzy of subprime was peddled across the US.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Sculptor post_id=478622 time=1604515494 user_id=17400]
[quote=commonsense post_id=474080 time=1601659457 user_id=14610]
The poor who have been given low credit scores will pay higher interests than financially stable individuals with high credit scores.
[/quote]

Things got so idiotic on the eve of the crash of 2008, that bonuses were so high to peddle sub-prime that thousands of sub-prime mortagages were sold to those that could well have had a standard package.
It was this shorts sightedness that represented the last straw in the crash, as a feeding frenzy of subprime was peddled across the US.
[/quote]

There have been very many last straws.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

RCSaunders wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:08 am

You dick head. We can't all be cats living in trees.
There are many economic practices enabled by capitialism that contribute to inequality. THe greatest of these is rent seeking behaviour. Any practice that collects wealth without work is a persistent danger to the economy in general.
WHen a person "makes money" simply by having money, or assets, this means that they take wealth out of the economy without putting in any work or effort; paracitism.
Share holding and its various "instruments" is probably worst than literal rent gathering. It makes paracites out of rich people.
I doubt you have bothered to think things through.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Sculptor post_id=478624 time=1604516285 user_id=17400]
[quote=Advocate post_id=477982 time=1604204883 user_id=15238]
Every time you pay rent, someone else benefits more than you because they're building equity with your money.
[/quote]

[/quote]

You dick head. We can't all be cats living in trees.
There are many economic practices enabled by capitialism that contribute to inequality. THe greatest of these is [i]rent seeking behaviour.[/i] Any practice that collects wealth without work is a persistent danger to the economy in general.
WHen a person "makes money" simply by having money, or assets, this means that they take wealth out of the economy without putting in any work or effort; paracitism.
Share holding and its various "instruments" is probably worst than literal rent gathering. It makes paracites out of rich people.
[/quote]

You forgot to screed about derivatives. Do carry on...
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:58 pm WHen a person "makes money" simply by having money, or assets, this means that they take wealth out of the economy without putting in any work or effort; paracitism.
What a retarded world-view.

People who own such appreciating assets are stop-gaps - they take up a lot of the risk. They blow up and lose their entire net worth when shit goes south, so that economy doesn't have to absorb the full shock.

They benefit from the upside, but they feel the downsides worse than most. The gambler's life isn't for everyone.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Skepdick wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:10 pm
Sculptor wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:58 pm WHen a person "makes money" simply by having money, or assets, this means that they take wealth out of the economy without putting in any work or effort; paracitism.
What a retarded world-view.

People who own such appreciating assets are stop-gaps - they take up a lot of the risk. They blow up and lose their entire net worth when shit goes south, so that economy doesn't have to absorb the full shock.

They benefit from the upside, but they feel the downsides worse than most. The gambler's life isn't for everyone.
Thanks you Dick
The rich do well when the economy crashes.
It is always ordinary people and the poor that suffer.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

You apparently have never owned property to rent. Property does not maintain itself, pay it's own taxes, or pay for any of the utilities that go with it. Where is the money to do those things supposed to come from? Why should someone be allowed to live in property without paying for it?

Just exactly what do you think those who collect rents do with that money? They eat, wear clothes, drive automobiles, raise children, and maintain homes just like everyone else. The money is hardly, "taken out of the economy." You obviously have not thought this through.