the proper balance between idealism and pragmatism

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick
Posts: 4964
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Re: the proper balance between idealism and pragmatism

Post by Skepdick »

Advocate wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:33 pm You still haven't read tiny.cc/TheWholeStory, so shuddap.
I much prefer crowdsourced knowledge. In so far as being the Whole story - it's way more holistic.
Advocate
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: the proper balance between idealism and pragmatism

Post by Advocate »

Skepdick wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:53 am
Advocate wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:59 pm Benevolent dictatorship is the least immoral, but it's also the most risky. :/
Risk is the only quantifier of future-harm.

So it's immoral.
Rusk is a statistical probability, not a fact. It measures uncertainty, like all statistical probability.
Advocate
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: the proper balance between idealism and pragmatism

Post by Advocate »

Skepdick wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:02 am
Advocate wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:33 pm You still haven't read tiny.cc/TheWholeStory, so shuddap.
I much prefer crowdsourced knowledge. In so far as being the Whole story - it's way more holistic.
That's how we got where we are today. Free markets are not ever actually free, they're always controlled from above and within. Open-source knowledge is the best thing for options (and the advisory role democracy should have) and the worst thing for facts." Group knowledge" simply isn't knowledge, it's a lowest common denominator average.
Skepdick
Posts: 4964
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Re: the proper balance between idealism and pragmatism

Post by Skepdick »

Advocate wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:42 pm Rusk is a statistical probability, not a fact. It measures uncertainty, like all statistical probability.
Facts are about the past.

Risk is about the future.

The past can't kill you. The future can.
Last edited by Skepdick on Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skepdick
Posts: 4964
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Re: the proper balance between idealism and pragmatism

Post by Skepdick »

Advocate wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:47 pm That's how we got where we are today. Free markets are not ever actually free, they're always controlled from above and within. Open-source knowledge is the best thing for options (and the advisory role democracy should have) and the worst thing for facts." Group knowledge" simply isn't knowledge, it's a lowest common denominator average.
That's what a dictator would say.

I have knowledge! Yes. Yes, you do.

So what?
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 8813
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: the proper balance between idealism and pragmatism

Post by henry quirk »

Skepdick wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:19 pm
Advocate wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:47 pm That's how we got where we are today. Free markets are not ever actually free, they're always controlled from above and within. Open-source knowledge is the best thing for options (and the advisory role democracy should have) and the worst thing for facts." Group knowledge" simply isn't knowledge, it's a lowest common denominator average.
That's what a dictator would say.

I have knowledge! Yes. Yes, you do.

So what?
Well, Advocate does promote what he calls libertarian facism... 🤔
Advocate
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: the proper balance between idealism and pragmatism

Post by Advocate »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:23 pm
Skepdick wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:19 pm
Advocate wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:47 pm That's how we got where we are today. Free markets are not ever actually free, they're always controlled from above and within. Open-source knowledge is the best thing for options (and the advisory role democracy should have) and the worst thing for facts." Group knowledge" simply isn't knowledge, it's a lowest common denominator average.
That's what a dictator would say.

I have knowledge! Yes. Yes, you do.

So what?
Well, Advocate does promote what he calls libertarian facism... 🤔
Yeah, but that's not related to the balance between idealism and pragmatism. :P
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 8813
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: the proper balance between idealism and pragmatism

Post by henry quirk »

Advocate wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:27 pm
henry quirk wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:23 pm
Skepdick wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:19 pm
That's what a dictator would say.

I have knowledge! Yes. Yes, you do.

So what?
Well, Advocate does promote what he calls libertarian facism... 🤔
Yeah, but that's not related to the balance between idealism and pragmatism. :P
I don't know about that...seems to me: dictatorial types often exhibit a ruthless kind of pragmatism as they cram their idealism down folks' throats.

Your LF kinda fits the bill.
Advocate
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: the proper balance between idealism and pragmatism

Post by Advocate »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:45 pm
Advocate wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:27 pm
henry quirk wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:23 pm

Well, Advocate does promote what he calls libertarian facism... 🤔
Yeah, but that's not related to the balance between idealism and pragmatism. :P
I don't know about that...seems to me: dictatorial types often exhibit a ruthless kind of pragmatism as they cram their idealism down folks' throats.

Your LF kinda fits the bill.
Necessity isn't ruthlessness. In what sense is it ruthless?
Skepdick
Posts: 4964
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Re: the proper balance between idealism and pragmatism

Post by Skepdick »

Advocate wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:53 pm Necessity isn't ruthlessness. In what sense is it ruthless?
Angry mobs with pitchforks don’t give a shit about semantics.
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 8813
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

"Necessity isn't ruthlessness. In what sense is it ruthless?"

Post by henry quirk »

You believe your LF is a necessity, yeah?

I don't. In fact: I see your LF as just another jumped-up dictatorship.

I won't participate. I'm thinkin' a whole whack of folks won't participate.

Only way you're gonna get LF is makin' folks who don't want it, live with it.

Pretty friggin' ruthless, I'd say.
commonsense
Posts: 2535
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: the proper balance between idealism and pragmatism

Post by commonsense »

I’m not sure how to label myself. Perhaps someone can help.

I lean to the center left, but I don’t want to make anyone give up their guns.

What am I?
Advocate
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: the proper balance between idealism and pragmatism

Post by Advocate »

commonsense wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:18 pm I’m not sure how to label myself. Perhaps someone can help.

I lean to the center left, but I don’t want to make anyone give up their guns.

What am I?
Confused by the names of political ideologies that have never really meant anything so that specific (and are constantly changing). I'd lable you "too reasonable for politics".
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 8813
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: the proper balance between idealism and pragmatism

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:18 pm I’m not sure how to label myself. Perhaps someone can help.

I lean to the center left, but I don’t want to make anyone give up their guns.

What am I?
a middle of the road Metal Monarch (in need of a front wheel alignment)
commonsense
Posts: 2535
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: the proper balance between idealism and pragmatism

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:33 am
commonsense wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:18 pm I’m not sure how to label myself. Perhaps someone can help.

I lean to the center left, but I don’t want to make anyone give up their guns.

What am I?
a middle of the road Metal Monarch (in need of a front wheel alignment)
8)
Post Reply