henry quirk wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:28 pm
That's my explanation for data that supposedly shows a temp increase over the historical average coinciding with the production of greenhouse gases.
In a sense, it doesn't much matter what caused greenhouse gases and global warming. What matters is that we have not the least idea how to change it.
Here are some recent "environmentalist" ideas about how to fix things in my country:
1. Start making electric cars, though they have a far greater carbon footprint and disposal problem than regular cars. Call it a win, because it creates less obvious air pollution.
2. Take over vast tracts of the world's most arable land in order to produce low-grade, inedible corn, turn it very poor fuel, and put it in cars and burn it. Call it "ethanol," and claim it's good for the environment.
3. Set up recycling programs that collect five grades of plastic, but can only recycle one. Have a special fleet of diesel trucks pick up what amount to balloons of air, carry them to a new depot, sort them, and have more trucks take most of the plastic to a landfill anyway.
4. Spend billions to set up windmills that produce tiny amounts of much more expensive energy, kill millions of birds, block the landscape, and make local residents ill. Call it "sustainable, renewable" energy.
5. Cut back on obvious stuff, but don't substantially alter the Western lifestyle. Put more and more things on batteries that are highly toxic, and keep inventing technologies that depend on heavy metals. Don't mention those.
6. Ban all controlled hunting and culling of animal populations, so that major species overpopulate, become diseased and starve, as a result of lack of predators. Hold onto that belief even when masses of the species begin to invade human habitation and become a serious danger to themselves and us.
7. By taxation, penalize small countries in the developed world. Do nothing about the developing world, and don't criticize authoritarian foreign governments that are the major polluters worldwide. For example, of the ten rivers that are the major dumpers of plastic into the oceans, accounting for 80% of the waste, eight are in Asia, and two are in Africa. But Canada, which has very clean rivers, is now supposed to be banning plastics. Ignore all facts about this, and just pretend we're making a difference.
8. Claim to be taking "moral leadership" on the environment, without any reason to believe that anybody else from another culture thinks we're "moral leaders." Pretend everybody so admires us that all we have to do is tank our own economies and the rest of the world will join us. Leave places with vast populations, like China, India, Mexico City, and so on to their own decisions about pollution, and just hit the Western democracies hard. Just trust that soon, these other places will start to "feel bad," and cut back too. Simply believe that they will take the opportunity to take over economically, and that will make it true.
In short, it's pretty clear that the environmental lobby doesn't actually have the foggiest idea of what to do. They're just thrashing around, trying symbolic gestures, without at all understanding the consequences of what is actually happening, or how to address it. And in every case, their interventions have not only made life worse, they've made pollution
worse too. Nobody's winning from what they are advocating.
So there isn't any reason to listen to these jokers anymore; in fact, there's every reason to await better science on this question. Because if we do what the naive environmentalists want us to do, we'll be dead faster than ever.