Does a pregnant woman carry a human being/person or just 'life'/meat?

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

Flash

Post by henry quirk »

Try it this way...

You're pregnant. You can give birth then give the baby to a couple who wants a child, or you can have an abortion.

Is one option generally preferable?

If so, why?

If not, why?

-----

'Loading' a question is common. I don't think it qualifies as bad faith. It's a strategy, nuthin' more.

When I run across 'load' I just recast things. Preserve the question but strip away the skew (like I did above) .
Last edited by henry quirk on Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sculptor

Re: Walker

Post by Sculptor »

Walker wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:37 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:08 am
Walker wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:01 am
It’s not at all difficult to understand.
Perhaps an example will break through your paradigm that abortion is the immovable object.

- Let’s say, abortion is not available, as stated.
- Let’s say, the society is … the father.
- This means that if the daughter is raped and cannot get an abortion because abortions are not available, then the society, which is the father, must be inconvenienced with continuing to support the daughter and the baby.
- To watch out for his own self interests, the society, which is the father in this example, will take preventive measures to see that his daughter does not get raped, and does not have sex without legal ties to the partner.
- Basic logic: When a society gets its fill of a problem, the problem disappears. If the problem doesn’t disappear, society has not gotten its fill of the problem.
A society that would condemn a woman to carry a rapists child, does not give a shit about the inconvenience a woman suffers for having to look after the brat.
You are insane.
You’re not making sense. When there is no rape, there is no carrying of the rapist’s child.
QED
You are insane.
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Flash

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:59 pm Try it this way...

You're pregnant. You can give birth then give the baby to a couple who wants a child, or you can have an abortion.

Is one option generally preferable?

If so, why?

If not, why?
It's preferable if the woman concerned finds it preferable.
Immanuel Can

Re: "What's your rationale for choosing the latter over the former?"

Post by Immanuel Can »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:45 pm The rationale seens to be: what's in my womb belongs to me and I'll do with it as I like.
Actually, the rationale seems to be this...

If it's a baby, and I want it, it's a baby. It's my daughter, the most precious gift in the world. She's mine...and I love her.

If she's not wanted by me, I don't want her to live and be happy with anyone else. I would feel bad, knowing my baby was "out there" making somebody else happy, or living contentedly without me. So I'll kill her, rather than let her and someone I don't know have joy.

She's mine -- to kill if she doesn't please me.

That's the attitude. That's the truth.
henry quirk

"It's preferable if the woman concerned finds it preferable."

Post by henry quirk »

Why would one option be preferable to another?
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: "It's preferable if the woman concerned finds it preferable."

henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:17 pm Why would one option be preferable to another?
Ask the woman concerned.
henry quirk

Mannie

Post by henry quirk »

If, on some level, every sane person knows a pregnant woman carries sumthin' human that, left to develop, 'will' be a person, then to abort can only mean...

'I value my life, as is, more than the person or potential person I can give birth to'.

I don't think it's about not bearing to see one's child in another's hands; it's more willfully ignoring that what one carries will be, or is, a person.
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Mannie

henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:27 pm If, on some level, every sane person knows a pregnant woman carries sumthin' human that, left to develop, 'will' be a person,
Umm, I think you will find that's the point of abortion.
henry quirk

"Umm, I think you will find that's the point of abortion."

Post by henry quirk »

To avoid bringing human beings into the world?
(then don't have sex)

To circumvent the consequences of one's own actions?
(use birth control, demand your partner use a condom)

To exercise control over one's self by exercising control over another (actual or potential)?
(grow up)
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:59 pm When I run across 'load' I just recast things. Preserve the question but strip away the skew (like I did above) .
And when you get given your answer back, with that unloading rejected and the whole thing dishonestly recompiled as an admission to being evil, you might conclude that your interlocutor is sort of ... honestly incapable, or just dishonest?
henry quirk

Flash

Post by henry quirk »

Depends on the interlocutor.

Mannie I see as persistent, not dishonest, same as you, same as me.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:53 pm Depends on the interlocutor.

Mannie I see as persistent, not dishonest, same as you, same as me.
Hmm. Well I look at his last response to mine ... "evasive and doesn't address the question" ... where I simply refused to accept his loading of the question... and all I see is either an obnoxious bully clumsily trying to railroad me, or somebody I cannot successfully communicate with because, through no fault of his own, he cannot grasp my understanding of the matter.

That's not just persistence, that is somebody telling me what I am allowed to think with my own head.
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: "Umm, I think you will find that's the point of abortion."

henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:38 pm To avoid bringing human beings into the world?
(then don't have sex)

So there we have it. I've been waiting for that. The real reason for the faux 'concern' of the males on here. Does that little gem include males too?
You really are a misogynistic little hypocritical turd.
Arising_uk

Re: A_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

henry quirk wrote: I reckon if Kerala 'works' it's in spite of the commies, not because of them.
Then your reckoning would be wrong.

Still, China seems to be doing pretty well nowadays.
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: A_uk

Arising_uk wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:11 pm
henry quirk wrote: I reckon if Kerala 'works' it's in spite of the commies, not because of them.
Then your reckoning would be wrong.

Still, China seems to be doing pretty well nowadays.
China is as 'capitalist' as they come now. Proof that 'capitalism' is not a synonym for 'freedom'.