Does a pregnant woman carry a human being/person or just 'life'/meat?

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
Lacewing
Posts: 3308
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am

Henry

Post by Lacewing » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:55 am

henry quirk wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:41 pm
My perspective has shifted, is all.
Gee Henry, doesn't that make you wonder how much other stuff you could be looking at differently? So many perspectives beyond whatever medieval stodgy view you're hunched over at the moment. Maybe if you stop flipping off everyone and notice the implications of your ability to shift perspective, you might recognize how much of a shadow your cave is casting over you. :lol:

User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 6000
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: Does a pregnant woman carry a human being/person or just 'life'/meat?

Post by Immanuel Can » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:14 am

Greta wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:12 pm
Too funny to see Henry ...
Nice lead-in to a totally ad hominem argument. Got anything to say that actually has a point?

User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 4765
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Lace

Post by henry quirk » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:46 am

"Gee Henry, doesn't that make you wonder how much other stuff you could be looking at differently?"

Let's see: Crom, natural rights/order...no, seems to me I got the fundamentals covered, first principles and whatnot.

And you? Crystal rubbin' & tree huggin': how's that workin' out for you?

#

Mannie,

Greta ain't got nuthin' of consequence to add: if she did, she'd have already given us an eyeful.

User avatar
Lacewing
Posts: 3308
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am

Re: Lace

Post by Lacewing » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:52 am

henry quirk wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:46 am
Crystal rubbin' & tree huggin': how's that workin' out for you?
:lol:

Life is good!

jayjacobus
Posts: 879
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:45 pm

Re: Does a pregnant woman carry a human being/person or just 'life'/meat?

Post by jayjacobus » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:59 am

Quirk,

You are as stupid as you.

User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 4765
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Lace: Life is good!

Post by henry quirk » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:34 am

Good deal! Keep rubbin' & huggin'.

#

jay: You are as stupid as you.

Yes: I am as stupid as me.

Belinda
Posts: 2779
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:13 am

Re: Lace

Post by Belinda » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:59 am

Lacewing wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:52 am
henry quirk wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:46 am
Crystal rubbin' & tree huggin': how's that workin' out for you?
:lol:

Life is good!
So what do you do, Henry, to nourish your psyche?

User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 6000
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: Lace: Life is good!

Post by Immanuel Can » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:35 pm

henry quirk wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:34 am
Henry
Sounds like you got "all the dogs barking." But since they have nothing substantial to offer regarding the argument itself, what's the point of worrying about them? Insults aren't arguments, and vitriol isn't wisdom.

The argument has good momentum still, and ad hominems are just their way of trying to derail the train.

Let 'em pass, I say.

jayjacobus
Posts: 879
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:45 pm

Re: Does a pregnant woman carry a human being/person or just 'life'/meat?

Post by jayjacobus » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:38 pm

You can watch as the herd goes by but each person in the herd has his/her reason for being in the herd.

Throwing spit balls at the herd won't help you to relax.

You wil fry if the herd is unsuccessful or breath easy if they are.

You are not a factor.

User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 4765
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Lace

Post by henry quirk » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:55 pm

"So what do you do, Henry, to nourish your psyche?"

Little bit of this, little bit of that.

#

Mannie,

"since they have nothing substantial to offer regarding the argument itself"

Well, they do offer substance...just not what they think.

For example...

Lace thinks we should consult out inner fetus to determine if said fetus-person should get born. That there is valuable info.

Greta thinks I'm makin' a hypocritical to-do about a "a splash of protoplasm". That there is valuable info.

jay thinks 'efforts' -- no matter how pointless -- are 'good'. That there is valuable info.

When the enemy telegraphs intent or tactic or philosophy, it's wise to listen.

#

jay,

"You are not a factor."

Likewise, I'm sure.

User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 6000
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: Lace

Post by Immanuel Can » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:26 pm

henry quirk wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:55 pm
When the enemy telegraphs intent or tactic or philosophy, it's wise to listen.
Heh. I suppose...

Though I would like to think people aren't "enemies," so much as people with different (and perhaps, admittedly, flawed) opinions, and strong feelings about them, who might still have some substance to offer if they can get themselves to stop railing long enough to offer it.

User avatar
Greta
Posts: 4389
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 am

Re: Does a pregnant woman carry a human being/person or just 'life'/meat?

Post by Greta » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:27 am

Immanuel Can wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:14 am
Greta wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:12 pm
Too funny to see Henry ...
Nice lead-in to a totally ad hominem argument. Got anything to say that actually has a point?
I note that your own ntire post is an implied ad hominem argument. You have no logic, content or sense in your paradigms - just the joy of tricky debating methods. You and Henry adopt strong PC stances when it suits you.

Simply, to prioritise an embryo, an insensate piece of protoplasm, over an adult woman only reveals ignorance and prejudice. If life or sentience mattered to you as much as you pretended in anti-abortion threads, then you would not eat meat. So it's not life or sentience.

It is simply a desire to control women - the women who keep rejecting you, hence your presence here. Seemingly, if you can't have them, then you figure they should suffer through the pain and disruption as punishment for having sex with someone who is not you.

Belinda
Posts: 2779
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:13 am

Re: Does a pregnant woman carry a human being/person or just 'life'/meat?

Post by Belinda » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:36 am

"So what do you do, Henry, to nourish your psyche?"

Little bit of this, little bit of that.
Good.

So don't be scornful about people who hug trees .

User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 6000
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: Does a pregnant woman carry a human being/person or just 'life'/meat?

Post by Immanuel Can » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:38 pm

Greta wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:27 am
I note that your own ntire post is an implied ad hominem argument.
Naw. It was a request for no more of those. I didn't say, "Greta's a bad person, so we should all ignore her views." But that was essentially your argument against Henry. I just said you should stop that.
You and Henry adopt strong PC stances when it suits you.
That's pretty funny. I've been accused of many things, but kowtowing to PCness is not one of them. I must file that one away.

Henry will like that, too.
Simply, to prioritise an embryo, an insensate piece of protoplasm, over an adult woman only reveals ignorance and prejudice.
You've assumed your conclusion, and begged the question there. You've smuggled in the phrase "insensate piece of protoplasm" instead of "human child." That's a no-no. There's no question at all that, say, third-trimester abortions are about more than "protoplasm," and that that "piece" is fully sensate. And second and first-term ones are not much clearer in that regard. Moreover, you've skipped the point that the child, if not aborted, will definitely become a full adult in every sense that your putative "adult woman" is. So that's one heck of an oversight.
It is simply a desire to control women..keep rejection you...hence your presence here.
Hilarious, vastly amusing, and again, totally ad hominem too. You are not exactly flattering any men here, if your contention is that the reason for being on this site is as you characterize it.

Now, really, Greta: is this the point where I'm supposed to come back with some sharp-tongued insult starting with the phrase, "Yeah, well, you just....", followed by some vile personal insult about your own sexual integrity or appeal to men? But seriously, how would that take the debate forward? How would that be a sensible response? So I don't do that stuff. You shouldn't either.

Let us just drop the ad hominems, and deal with the truth, shall we? Enough of the cotton-fluff.

jayjacobus
Posts: 879
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:45 pm

Re: Lace & jay

Post by jayjacobus » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:42 pm

henry quirk wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:42 pm
"Your stupid response..."

凸(-_-)凸

#

"Have I got to the root of your stupid refrains?"

凸(-_-)凸
In some ways all the posts miss the point:

"When society is split relativitly evenly, don't we need a law that recognizes both perspectives?

To think black and white when many colors exist is to create an oppression when oppress does not need to be.

Yet one side will say, "We are not oppressors because black and white is all that can be." when logically they are oppressors.

Pregnant women do not oppress in any sense of the word.

Oppress means to keep some people in subservience and hardship, especially by the unjust exercise of authority."

Instead of jibber-jabber let's come together with fair principles and see where that leads us. How about a little give and take?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest