Does a pregnant woman carry a human being/person or just 'life'/meat?

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 4774
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

"How much more of your $$, Henry , are you wiling to spend to care for your neighbour's unwanted baby?"

Post by henry quirk » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:38 pm

How much am I spending now to care for the other guy's kid?

How much am I spending now to kill the other guy's unborn kid?

Ain't about the money, honey.

User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 6026
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: Does a pregnant woman carry a human being/person or just 'life'/meat?

Post by Immanuel Can » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:54 pm

Belinda wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:29 pm
I said I (please note I) don't fully understand. I am not a climate scientist. Climate scientists understand .
Well, the climate science is ambiguous at present, and solutions are not part of their area of expertise. So we need more than a vague trust that "somebody somewhere has the solution we lack." That won't float any boats.

jayjacobus
Posts: 882
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:45 pm

Re: Mannie

Post by jayjacobus » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:35 pm

Immanuel Can wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:18 pm
jayjacobus wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:51 pm
Both you guys see what's happenning but you say let's wait to see what happens next.
You don't read very well.

What we're advocating is using science. What you're advocating is using panic. And between those two, I think the choice is pretty clear.
Let's not panic (you seem to be in a tizzy). Let's take logical steps and evaluate the results as we go along.

On the coast, homeowners might install small wind turbines, in the desrt solar panels, on the roads hybrids that get power from their own small engines and thermal heat pumps where cost/benefit makes sense.

Doing nothing accomplishes nothing.

Belinda
Posts: 2779
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:13 am

Re: Does a pregnant woman carry a human being/person or just 'life'/meat?

Post by Belinda » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:09 pm

Immanuel Can wrote:
the climate science is ambiguous at present, and solutions are not part of their area of expertise.
The future is sufficiently known for any reasonable person. Even I, Immanuel, can tell you exactly what your personal solution will be.

Eat less dead animals.

User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 4774
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

jay

Post by henry quirk » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:17 pm

You're missin' the point.

Mannie sez we don't know as fact that climate chsnge is human-driven, but, even if it is, no one is comin' out with any 'real' solutions, just virtue-signalin' malarkey.

Me: I say the notion of human-driven climate change is horse manure so nuthin' need be done.

Either way: doin' 'something' (anything) is -- at the least -- just a 'feel good' exercise or -- at most -- counterproductive & harmful.

##

B,

"Eat less dead animals."

The hell you say!

jayjacobus
Posts: 882
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:45 pm

Re: jay

Post by jayjacobus » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:16 pm

henry quirk wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:17 pm
You're missin' the point.

Mannie sez we don't know as fact that climate chsnge is human-driven, but, even if it is, no one is comin' out with any 'real' solutions, just virtue-signalin' malarkey.

Me: I say the notion of human-driven climate change is horse manure so nuthin' need be done.

Either way: doin' 'something' (anything) is -- at the least -- just a 'feel good' exercise or -- at most -- counterproductive & harmful.

##

B,

"Eat less dead animals."

The hell you say!
The foundation for global warming has been scientifically verified by many scientists: the average global temperature is higher than any time in the 20th century, Ice fields are melting, carbon in the atmosphere is increasing and the trend is concerning. Your foundation is "don't worry". your premise is "Scientists are alarmists" and your conclusion is "Jay is an alarmist".

Am I being fair to you?

However you are on a philosophy forum and you should make a logical argument which you don't seem to know how to do.

Do I insult you or do you, by your posts, insult my intelligence?

User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 6026
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: Mannie

Post by Immanuel Can » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:06 pm

jayjacobus wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:35 pm
Doing nothing accomplishes nothing.
Doing the wrong thing Is only fine if the problem isn't really serious.

User avatar
RCSaunders
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Does a pregnant woman carry a human being/person or just 'life'/meat?

Post by RCSaunders » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:48 pm

Belinda wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:09 pm
Eat less dead animals.
Right!

At least for some. Oysters are best while still alive.

User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 4774
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

jay

Post by henry quirk » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:50 pm

"The foundation for global warming has been scientifically verified by many scientists"

And refuted by others.

#

"the average global temperature is higher than any time in the 20th century"

Formal temp records don't go back far. The 'informal' record shows earth has had it hot times before.

#

"Ice fields are melting"

No, they're not.

#

"carbon in the atmosphere is increasing"

Which is not problematic.

#

"and the trend is concerning."

There is no human-driven trend to break a sweat over.

#

"Your foundation is "don't worry".

Nope. Worry all you like. I won't, don't.

#

"your premise is "Scientists are alarmists" and your conclusion is "Jay is an alarmist"."

Nope. Never used or implied 'alarmism'. Was pretty clear...it's a goddamned scam, cold and deliberate.

#

"Am I being fair to you?"

Meh...fairness is for children and retards.

#

"However you are on a philosophy forum and you should make a logical argument which you don't seem to know how to do."

Sez you.

#

"Do I insult you or do you, by your posts, insult my intelligence?"

You don't bother me.

User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 4774
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Mannie

Post by henry quirk » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:52 pm

"Doing the wrong thing Is only fine if the problem isn't really serious."

Doing anything, just for the sake of 'doing sumthin', is stupid and -- as I say -- counterproductive and hurtful.

User avatar
Lacewing
Posts: 3308
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am

Re: Lace

Post by Lacewing » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:26 pm

henry quirk wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:28 pm
My point, Lace (which leapt over your head like a tree frog): your perspective is dumb.

'nuff said
Your stupid response showed that you didn't even understand my perspective. You were speaking to the garbled extremism in your own head... so it is only your own delusional interpretation of my perspective that is dumb. :P

jayjacobus
Posts: 882
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:45 pm

Re: Mannie

Post by jayjacobus » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:50 pm

henry quirk wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:52 pm
"Doing the wrong thing Is only fine if the problem isn't really serious."

Doing anything, just for the sake of 'doing sumthin', is stupid and -- as I say -- counterproductive and hurtful.
Not really. I think what I think because there is good reason for that and I do what I want to do because I want to be doing something constructive.

I don't think what you want nor do I do what you do but who cares what you think or what you do? or for that matter what I do or do not do.

It's really none of your business (Oil business?)

Have I got to the root of your stupid refrains?

User avatar
Greta
Posts: 4389
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 am

Re: Does a pregnant woman carry a human being/person or just 'life'/meat?

Post by Greta » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:12 pm

Too funny to see Henry - the man who is more happy than anyone to see children and adults left to die, eg. war policy, health policy, yet a splash of protoplasm has him pretending to be all human rightsy. What an utter, utter hypocrite and lightweight.

If Henry was honest, his answer would be that it doesn't matter whether it's human or not. If it can't save itself or doesn't have someone to help, then let it die. That is the REAL Henry. Hardcore libvertarian, law of the jungle.

If his beloved Trump didn't start playing the right to life game for political advantage you'd never have heard a thing about it by Henry. A once slightly original thinker has now apparently become a complete Trumpian drone. No doubt the red cap looks just right on him.

User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 4774
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Greta

Post by henry quirk » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:41 pm

I gues you missed the part where I admited to moving from an indifferent atheism/agnosticism to a somewhat less indifferent deism. Along with that, I guess you missed my declaration of bein' a natural rights libertarian.

So -- no -- I'm not a hypocrite: My perspective has shifted, is all.

Is that okay with you?

Am I allowed to shift in viewpoint?

If I'd shifted in your commie direction I bet you'd throw a parade and call me 'comrade'.

Oh yeah, almost forgot... 凸(-_-)凸
Last edited by henry quirk on Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 4774
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Lace & jay

Post by henry quirk » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:42 pm

"Your stupid response..."

凸(-_-)凸

#

"Have I got to the root of your stupid refrains?"

凸(-_-)凸

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests