faithfulness?

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

DPMartin

faithfulness?

Post by DPMartin »

is every one, or even every living creature faithful to something? as in loyalty, unswerving allegiance to, trustworthiness.
FlashDangerpants

Re: faithfulness?

Post by FlashDangerpants »

That seems a bit vague. I suppose if you cheat on respiration too long the result is expiration but that doesn't mean I would describe an amoeba as being faithful in its allegiance to breathing.
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:59 am That seems a bit vague. I suppose if you cheat on respiration too long the result is expiration but that doesn't mean I would describe an amoeba as being faithful in its allegiance to breathing.
well even a amoeba seeks to live the life it has, or it wouldn't live it, therefore does it value the life it has, and is it faithful to what it values?
FlashDangerpants

That's a lot of anthropomorphism for a single cell creature to be carrying around. I don't consider my toenail to be faithfully engaged in a mission of growth, nor a rock to be intensely concentrating on sitting in one place.
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 3:29 pm That's a lot of anthropomorphism for a single cell creature to be carrying around. I don't consider my toenail to be faithfully engaged in a mission of growth, nor a rock to be intensely concentrating on sitting in one place.
your toenail isn't an independent living thing, what as an amoeba is. your toenail doesn't consume or seek to consume to survive does it? but an independent living thing has to respond to what keeps it living the life it has.
FlashDangerpants

DPMartin wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:41 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 3:29 pm That's a lot of anthropomorphism for a single cell creature to be carrying around. I don't consider my toenail to be faithfully engaged in a mission of growth, nor a rock to be intensely concentrating on sitting in one place.
your toenail isn't an independent living thing, what as an amoeba is. your toenail doesn't consume or seek to consume to survive does it? but an independent living thing has to respond to what keeps it living the life it has.
I suppose not. Obviously the toenail itself inert dead matter, just the toe having a very long slow poo really. So obviously it is my toe that is faithfully and with full dedication eating my foot, and pooping out the toenail. Thanks for clearing up this important question of applied ethics.