faithfulness?

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Post Reply
DPMartin
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:11 am

faithfulness?

Post by DPMartin » Thu May 02, 2019 4:32 pm

is every one, or even every living creature faithful to something? as in loyalty, unswerving allegiance to, trustworthiness.

FlashDangerpants
Posts: 1780
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: faithfulness?

Post by FlashDangerpants » Fri May 03, 2019 8:59 am

That seems a bit vague. I suppose if you cheat on respiration too long the result is expiration but that doesn't mean I would describe an amoeba as being faithful in its allegiance to breathing.

DPMartin
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:11 am

Re: faithfulness?

Post by DPMartin » Fri May 03, 2019 2:39 pm

FlashDangerpants wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:59 am
That seems a bit vague. I suppose if you cheat on respiration too long the result is expiration but that doesn't mean I would describe an amoeba as being faithful in its allegiance to breathing.
well even a amoeba seeks to live the life it has, or it wouldn't live it, therefore does it value the life it has, and is it faithful to what it values?

FlashDangerpants
Posts: 1780
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: faithfulness?

Post by FlashDangerpants » Sat May 04, 2019 3:29 pm

That's a lot of anthropomorphism for a single cell creature to be carrying around. I don't consider my toenail to be faithfully engaged in a mission of growth, nor a rock to be intensely concentrating on sitting in one place.

DPMartin
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:11 am

Re: faithfulness?

Post by DPMartin » Mon May 06, 2019 2:41 pm

FlashDangerpants wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:29 pm
That's a lot of anthropomorphism for a single cell creature to be carrying around. I don't consider my toenail to be faithfully engaged in a mission of growth, nor a rock to be intensely concentrating on sitting in one place.
your toenail isn't an independent living thing, what as an amoeba is. your toenail doesn't consume or seek to consume to survive does it? but an independent living thing has to respond to what keeps it living the life it has.

FlashDangerpants
Posts: 1780
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: faithfulness?

Post by FlashDangerpants » Tue May 07, 2019 8:06 pm

DPMartin wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:41 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:29 pm
That's a lot of anthropomorphism for a single cell creature to be carrying around. I don't consider my toenail to be faithfully engaged in a mission of growth, nor a rock to be intensely concentrating on sitting in one place.
your toenail isn't an independent living thing, what as an amoeba is. your toenail doesn't consume or seek to consume to survive does it? but an independent living thing has to respond to what keeps it living the life it has.
I suppose not. Obviously the toenail itself inert dead matter, just the toe having a very long slow poo really. So obviously it is my toe that is faithfully and with full dedication eating my foot, and pooping out the toenail. Thanks for clearing up this important question of applied ethics.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest