what justfies?

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Immanuel Can

Re: what justfies?

Post by Immanuel Can »

DPMartin wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:41 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:38 am
DPMartin wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:10 pm

anything
Like...having a cold "justifies" carrying a hankie? :shock:

That looks pretty easy, so I can't imagine that's what you meant. Can you be more specific?
so, you're saying reason justifies?
I said no such thing. I don't even understand what you're trying to "justify." I was just asking for some information about that. The word "justify" is used very differently in different contexts. I just wanted to understand your context.
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

Logik wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:25 pm
DPMartin wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:13 pm you are saying "risk appetite" is the reason in your example, whether you know that or not.
This conversation will go a whole lot smoother if you stopped re-interpreting my words from your reference frame.

Reason is a vague, broad and meaningless term. Risk appetite is a quantifiable, probabilistic/statistical phenomenon which pertains to uncertainty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty
hay if you don't get the context, then maybe this is over your head.
DPMartin wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:47 pm its an example, get over it.
It's a crappy example. You have given "the voices" agency. If "the voices" have agency then it's no different to me telling you to kill and rape.

Why do you resist me, but submit to your voices?
the example is just that. your posting doesn't seem to have anything to do with the subject of, what justifies?
Logik

Post by Logik »

DPMartin wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:40 pm hay if you don't get the context, then maybe this is over your head.
DPMartin wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:47 pm the example is just that. your posting doesn't seem to have anything to do with the subject of, what justifies?
If you don't understand how my example is relevant then perhaps this is indeed over your head.
Walker

Post by Walker »

DPMartin wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:45 pm
Walker wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:21 pm
DPMartin wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:10 pm a tornado tears through your home and shreds and throws all the people you care about what justifies that? a bomb lands on your home and does the same thing what justifies that? some one comes to your home and pretty much does the same what justifies that?
Climate change?
you seem to listen to way to much news media
Are you a Climate Denier?
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

DPMartin wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:40 pm
Scott Mayers wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:17 am
DPMartin wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:10 pm

anything

a tornado tears through your home and shreds and throws all the people you care about what justifies that? a bomb lands on your home and does the same thing what justifies that? some one comes to your home and pretty much does the same what justifies that?

for example but really anything, what justifies anything? and why should there be a disagreement on what justifies?
You seem to be implying a "justification" as some 'cause'. If you are thinking of some extended meaning, such as "good cause" versus "bad cause", this reduces to a discussion about the word, "just", as in "justice". For that, Plato's Republic may be of interest to you to read first, as this question was one of the earliest questions raised there. The whole book is about asking that one question.

If you mean, "correct cause", without value, then your question is reduced to, "how do we know what correctly causes any event?"

Which are you intending to ask?
this is not something I seek an answer for, this is posted to see what is seen as justified and why.
Your question requires clarification as the word, "justified", is odd to question without specifying which meaning of the word you are using. Are you asking what is "just" (a MORAL CAUSE) or simply any "explanation that justifies anything, moral or not".
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

Scott Mayers wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:12 am
Scott Mayers wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:17 am
You seem to be implying a "justification" as some 'cause'. If you are thinking of some extended meaning, such as "good cause" versus "bad cause", this reduces to a discussion about the word, "just", as in "justice". For that, Plato's Republic may be of interest to you to read first, as this question was one of the earliest questions raised there. The whole book is about asking that one question.

If you mean, "correct cause", without value, then your question is reduced to, "how do we know what correctly causes any event?"

Which are you intending to ask?
this is not something I seek an answer for, this is posted to see what is seen as justified and why.
Your question requires clarification as the word, "justified", is odd to question without specifying which meaning of the word you are using. Are you asking what is "just" (a MORAL CAUSE) or simply any "explanation that justifies anything, moral or not".
nope I asked what justifies.
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

Walker wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:57 am
DPMartin wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:45 pm
Walker wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:21 pm
Climate change?
you seem to listen to way to much news media
Are you a Climate Denier?
the subject here is, what justifies, I'm not sure there's a section somewhere else on this site for political opinions on climate.
Walker

Post by Walker »

You asked what justifies a tornado.

Climate justifies a tornado.

Tornadoes are not political.

Denying the climate/tornado link is political.

Justifying the political situation in Venezuela on the basis of climate, is also political.

Unlike you, I have done neither, since tornadoes are not the political matter you assert.

Tornadoes are more than wind because it takes more than wind to pick up a little brick house, turn it around in mid-air, and set it back down on its own foundation (a pastime in tornado alley is cruising around observing the weird things that tornadoes have done to the constructs of man). Conditions conspire for unusual, but never impossible. This means that if you think you have witnessed a miracle, you have actually only found the limits of your understanding.

The Wizard of Oz flying house actually used to happen, but they don't make 'em like that anymore, Dorthy's house was wood and not brick, and houses that handle tornado forces usually don't fly as far as Dorothy's house.

The little brick house we saw survived to face a new direction, but under those same conditions of climate stress, plywood houses like they make these days will often just explode as they get torn to pieces by the wolves of weather. :roll:

That's progress for you.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

flying house my arse, it was a witch killer.

witch rights now!

-Imp
Walker

Post by Walker »

The flying monkeys usually have that honor. “Oh we loathe, the ollld one.” Tornado! Small towns out there used to keep a big siren on a tall pole in the center of town for such occasions. A building would suffice, in the biggerburgs. Torn-a-do. Torn it do. Tear it did. It’s a Kansas torn-star. After it will and after it does, it did tear within the continuous circular horizon viewed* from the center of Kansas, which given the topographical variance to square mile ratio, actually is flatter than a pancake. It's a matter of scale. No mountains, no coastline.

What justifies such information relevant to the thread? The open-endedness, aka lack of focus, of the original inquiry, and also the lack of progress caused by slippery answers to requested definitions. Don’t sweat it with y’s.

* In winter, after the crops are cut.
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

DPMartin wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:38 pm

You are clearly unable to discuss philosophy if you can't make sense of what I ask with clarity. Definitions are needed by your question to determine what it is you want. I could similarly ask, what does, "chutriadian" mean to you? If you won't initiate WHICH definition of "justified" is to you, how or why should anyone respond to your request?

I do not have any "justified" in my hand. Go fish.
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

Scott Mayers wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:20 pm
DPMartin wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:38 pm
You are clearly unable to discuss philosophy if you can't make sense of what I ask with clarity. Definitions are needed by your question to determine what it is you want. I could similarly ask, what does, "chutriadian" mean to you? If you won't initiate WHICH definition of "justified" is to you, how or why should anyone respond to your request?

I do not have any "justified" in my hand. Go fish.
no, read the OP, I asked didn't I? therefore if you don't have a response, then what is your problem? don't respond.
Walker

Post by Walker »

This justifies England.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cAZ6FVduxo

England's philosophy medium for the past 50+ years has been music.

Post by Age »

What justifies?

Is 'that', which is just.

Only 'that', which is in agreement with and by ALL, IS JUST.
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Logic wrote:
Reason is a vague broad and meaningless term
Only so when the definition is not sufficiently rigorous
I define it as the application of logic to the real world