How would you control the world population?

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
Sir-Sister-of-Suck
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:09 am

Re: How would you control the world population?

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:01 am

We really don't need to do much - just make birth control an over-the-counter drug. I would assume it would also become cheaper that way, which will create even less excuses for people not to use it.

Most people will say they eventually want a kid, but not right now, so it's not hard to work with that.

Skip
Posts: 2553
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: How would you control the world population?

Post by Skip » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:22 am

Nick_A wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:24 am
[Doesn't society deserve this consideration?]
[S. Nope.]
Now you've done it. You will earn the wrath of Greta. You suggest that cold hard logic may not be sufficient to solve the problem of over population.
I didn't suggest anything of the kind. That's your shtick.
I disagree that society deserves consideration.
Life is not a question of merit; society deserves nothing more nor less than what it does to itself.
Emotional understanding may be essential to appreciate the value of life including the human obligation for sexual discrimination.
More blather.
A robot is incapable of emotional discrimination.
You haven't met LVX1 http://blogs.up.edu.pe/nubes/wp-content ... Dreams.pdf, Andrew https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0182789/or David https://www.avclub.com/in-a-i-steven-sp ... 1823639106 or Number 5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h_-TIM3kdE
as of now we will have to depend on disease, natural catastrophes, and wars to control population
That's why we need to empower ourselves, which entails casting off the shackles of religion. Some of those priests were not evil human beings; they just chose an evil profession. I'm quite happy to spare any who want to quit, as long as they're sterilized and never preach again.

Nick_A
Posts: 4825
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:23 am

Re: How would you control the world population?

Post by Nick_A » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:43 am

Skip
That's why we need to empower ourselves, which entails casting off the shackles of religion. Some of those priests were not evil human beings; they just chose an evil profession. I'm quite happy to spare any who want to quit, as long as they're sterilized and never preach again.
The smoke clears. We see that the robots are incapable of feeling value. Data in the Star Trek series always wanted to be able to feel. Secularized religion often creates representatives who corrupt emotion. So since nothing is understood, it's everyone for themselves and just do what you want. Everything remains the same and whatever happens just happens. The result is: "The beat goes on la la la la, the beat goes on.

Skip
Posts: 2553
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: How would you control the world population?

Post by Skip » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:48 am

Nick_A wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:43 am
The smoke clears.
What a relief!
Secularized religion
Did you just make that up, or is it one of the stock oxymorons of your ilk?
it's everyone for themselves and just do what you want.
with your own life, yeah. Free will. I realize it's a difficult concept.

Nick_A
Posts: 4825
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:23 am

Re: How would you control the world population?

Post by Nick_A » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:58 am

Skip wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:48 am
Nick_A wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:43 am
The smoke clears.
What a relief!
Secularized religion
Did you just make that up, or is it one of the stock oxymorons of your ilk?
it's everyone for themselves and just do what you want.
with your own life, yeah. Free will. I realize it's a difficult concept.
Free will is a difficult concept. You will placed in the running to be awarded the most coveted brass figlagee with bronze oak leaf palm if you can explain the difference between free will and reaction to desire.

User avatar
Greta
Posts: 4389
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 am

Re: How would you control the world population?

Post by Greta » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:02 am

Indeed Nick, it's really important to ignore all notions of balance and moderation. We cannot have that, can we?

Thus, as far as you are concerned in your Trumpian quasi-evangelist worldview, we must never realistically balance logic and emotion ... you know, like humans usually do without fussing about it.

However, if we are talking philosophy, your tendency towards outbursts and telling outrageous porkies without even a hint of even recognition that you lied is not helpful. Yes, that approach is working for the POTUS at the moment but it may yet catch up with him, as lying often does.

So, stripping away the distracting Nickery of it all, we are back to controlling the world population by education - or just leaving the matter for the world to do what it does during imbalances. That's basically where we are up to ATM.

Nick_A
Posts: 4825
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:23 am

Re: How would you control the world population?

Post by Nick_A » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:02 pm

Greta wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:02 am
Indeed Nick, it's really important to ignore all notions of balance and moderation. We cannot have that, can we?

Thus, as far as you are concerned in your Trumpian quasi-evangelist worldview, we must never realistically balance logic and emotion ... you know, like humans usually do without fussing about it.

However, if we are talking philosophy, your tendency towards outbursts and telling outrageous porkies without even a hint of even recognition that you lied is not helpful. Yes, that approach is working for the POTUS at the moment but it may yet catch up with him, as lying often does.

So, stripping away the distracting Nickery of it all, we are back to controlling the world population by education - or just leaving the matter for the world to do what it does during imbalances. That's basically where we are up to ATM.
Your hostility demonstrates why the balance of logic and emotion is so difficult. You are guided by learned negative emotions and the demand that they be served. In America, entitlements are the rage of the day and supported by the expressions of negative emotions. What kind of education resolves that attitude? You want balance where it is impossible. Until you witness it in yourself you will continue to believe education is taken seriously.

So the reality is that everything will just happen in response to natural laws including populations. What does that say for human intelligence?

Skip
Posts: 2553
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: How would you control the world population?

Post by Skip » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:45 pm

Nick_A wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:58 am
explain the difference between free will and reaction to desire.
In the age of reason: I decide whether to replicate myself, and whether and how long my life is worth extending - I don't leave those decisions either to some "emotional respect for life", (which in practice usually means: God values life, not the person wearing it; the longer you hurt, the happier he is) or to a robot (technically, it would be the central computer that makes the decision; the robots merely carry it out. I assume you get to listen to Vivaldi and watch movies of long-extinct wildlife).
Keep your brass, in case someday you understand this yourself.
Meantime, just keep tra-la-laing.

Nick_A
Posts: 4825
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:23 am

Re: How would you control the world population?

Post by Nick_A » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:40 pm

Skip wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:45 pm
Nick_A wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:58 am
explain the difference between free will and reaction to desire.
In the age of reason: I decide whether to replicate myself, and whether and how long my life is worth extending - I don't leave those decisions either to some "emotional respect for life", (which in practice usually means: God values life, not the person wearing it; the longer you hurt, the happier he is) or to a robot (technically, it would be the central computer that makes the decision; the robots merely carry it out. I assume you get to listen to Vivaldi and watch movies of long-extinct wildlife).
Keep your brass, in case someday you understand this yourself.
Meantime, just keep tra-la-laing.
Do you decide or is the decision made for you by your habits and conditioning? Reactions to desires are the result of human nature, habits, and conditioning. Free will requires a quality of consciousness which enables decisions free from conditioning and habits.. From this perspective only a rare few have free will. Greta suggests education to counter the population issue. This quality of education is aimed at creating conditioning and habits. But creatures of reaction easily change beliefs from the proper stimulation. What then happens to education?

Suppose a girl entered college conditioned to believe in what education is. She didn’t enter with the conscious intention to get pregnant but it happened. Is her pregnancy the result of free will or reactions to desires?

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 4177
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: How would you control the world population?

Post by Harbal » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:52 pm

Nick_A wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:40 pm
Suppose a girl entered college conditioned to believe in what education is. She didn’t enter with the conscious intention to get pregnant
How can you be sure it wasn't in the curriculum?

Skip
Posts: 2553
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: How would you control the world population?

Post by Skip » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:31 pm

Nick_A wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:40 pm
Do you decide or is the decision made for you by your habits and conditioning? Reactions to desires are the result of human nature, habits, and conditioning. Free will requires a quality of consciousness which enables decisions free from conditioning and habits.
IOW not human nature.
From this perspective only a rare few have free will.
IOW, God lied.
Greta suggests education to counter the population issue. This quality of education is aimed at creating conditioning and habits.
IOW You lack "this quality" of education.
Suppose a girl entered college conditioned to believe in what education is. She didn’t enter with the conscious intention to get pregnant but it happened. Is her pregnancy the result of free will or reactions to desires?
It's a result of having sex with a boy. If you'd had education, you would know this and not believe that virgins can get pregnant just by wishing.
It doesn't much matter, as long as she has access to free, safe abortion, good prenatal care, and maternal support or adoption service - whichever she wants.

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 4177
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: How would you control the world population?

Post by Harbal » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:37 pm

Skip wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:31 pm

It doesn't much matter, as long as she has access to free, safe abortion,
This is exactly the kind of solution Nick likes to find a problem for.

Nick_A
Posts: 4825
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:23 am

Re: How would you control the world population?

Post by Nick_A » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:03 pm

Harbal wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:52 pm
Nick_A wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:40 pm
Suppose a girl entered college conditioned to believe in what education is. She didn’t enter with the conscious intention to get pregnant
How can you be sure it wasn't in the curriculum?
The classic belief is that pregnancy involves her womb, not her curriculum.

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 4177
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: How would you control the world population?

Post by Harbal » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:11 pm

Nick_A wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:03 pm

The classic belief is that pregnancy involves her womb, not her curriculum.
What kind of answer is that? Have you just woken up, Nick?

Nick_A
Posts: 4825
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:23 am

Re: How would you control the world population?

Post by Nick_A » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:12 pm

Skip
It doesn't much matter, as long as she has access to free, safe abortion,
Yes the modern solution to the problem of a growing population. Kill first and ask questions later. That is why we need impartial robots to decide every five years if you are worthy of life or if you should be aborted as inconvenient from the great collective you are a part of.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests