How would you control the world population?

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Belinda

Re: How would you control the world population?

Post by Belinda »

Nick_A wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:08 pm
Belinda wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:50 pm The way to stop exponential increase in the number of humans is to banish poverty.
I guess if people are less in poverty with more money and leisure time it will lead to more random screwing for pleasure and more abortions for convenience. I can see how abortions for convenience can decrease population by definition. It is why it would be a secular value but would the practice express a human value?

More importantly, abolishing poverty means there is no need to do the traditional thing and have many children. With the abolition of poverty women as well as men will learn to read and write and use facilities such as the internet to get information about conception control, and have the power to use conception control.

Conception control is a mean to respect life . To respect life is to increase awareness among people who have been brought out of poverty.

To respect life is to respect the child more than the sperm.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Again: Earth has gotten 'small'...we need to get off the rock, get up and out...we do that and there's no need to 'control' the population.

But: nope...the possibility of hundreds, then thousands, then millions of folks 'out there', exploiting practically limitless resources, livin' free, well, that's just too daunting a notion...communitarians (on the Left, on the Right, in the Middle) will squelch any attempt to get from under The Boot...if gettin' up and out became cost-effective; if livin' out there became an adventure, then a whole whack of ideologies (and the ideologues who profit) would rapidly become moot.

This will not be allowed.

So: the lot of us are grounded, not by gravity (cuz we done beat that bitch black and blue) but by very small people with weak backs, fragile minds, and HUGE egos.

With this in mind, I offer up a humble suggestion on population control.

WAR

Not the politically-motivated pussy exercise orchestrated by (various) states, but the wholesale, grassroots, bloodbath of individual against individual.

GO CRAZY

Kill any- and every-one with anything you have on-hand...don't plan diddly...just go at it like rabid weasels.

If each does his part: in a week Earth's population could be cut in half...resources effectively double...survivors are heartier than folks who fell (so the global gene pool is refined)...and, with the pussies out of the way, mebbe, just mebbe we'll finally get up and out.
Dalek Prime

Re:

Post by Dalek Prime »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:05 am Again: Earth has gotten 'small'...we need to get off the rock, get up and out...we do that and there's no need to 'control' the population.

But: nope...the possibility of hundreds, then thousands, then millions of folks 'out there', exploiting practically limitless resources, livin' free, well, that's just too daunting a notion...communitarians (on the Left, on the Right, in the Middle) will squelch any attempt to get from under The Boot...if gettin' up and out became cost-effective; if livin' out there became an adventure, then a whole whack of ideologies (and the ideologues who profit) would rapidly become moot.

This will not be allowed.

So: the lot of us are grounded, not by gravity (cuz we done beat that bitch black and blue) but by very small people with weak backs, fragile minds, and HUGE egos.

With this in mind, I offer up a humble suggestion on population control.

WAR

Not the politically-motivated pussy exercise orchestrated by (various) states, but the wholesale, grassroots, bloodbath of individual against individual.

GO CRAZY

Kill any- and every-one with anything you have on-hand...don't plan diddly...just go at it like rabid weasels.

If each does his part: in a week Earth's population could be cut in half...resources effectively double...survivors are heartier than folks who fell (so the global gene pool is refined)...and, with the pussies out of the way, mebbe, just mebbe we'll finally get up and out.
Wouldn't it just be easier to consciously not breed? There's no need for a bloodbath and suffering to lower the population, when the answer could be done so peacefully. Why is death of billions so much more popular than the non birth of billions?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Bluntly, Dal, people are gonna fuck.

And, often, people are gonna fuck without usin' controls, even with the controls right there on the nightstand.

We're a horny buncha monkeys.

Now, me, I'd prefer we do sumthin' constructive (like goin' up and out) but if that's not on the table, the next sure, direct method of capping population is WAR (killkillkillkillkillkill!).
Nick_A

Re:

Post by Nick_A »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:03 pm Bluntly, Dal, people are gonna fuck.

And, often, people are gonna fuck without usin' controls, even with the controls right there on the nightstand.

Now, me, I'd prefer we do sumthin' constructive (like goin' up and out) but if that's not on the table, the next sure, direct method of capping population is WAR (killkillkillkillkillkill!).
To fuck and kill. What could be a more satisfying goal? Genghis Khan understood.
Man’s greatest joy is to slay his enemy, plunder his riches, ride his steeds, see the tears of his loved ones and embrace his women.~ Genghis Khan
Dalek Prime

Re:

Post by Dalek Prime »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:03 pm Bluntly, Dal, people are gonna fuck.

I know. I was just being idealistic.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I'm adding another idea to this discussion. How about
3D printing? Could it be used to feed people? The technology is advancing rapidly.

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

I still say that instead of workin' to control the population we ought to be workin' to see folks can get up and out of the well and off the dirt.

We ought be forcibly expanding' the horizon, not finding creative (and mebbe desperate) ways to get just get by on the dirt.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:56 am I'm adding another idea to this discussion. How about
3D printing? Could it be used to feed people? The technology is advancing rapidly.

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
It evokes visions of skyscraper blocks of units as high as the clouds and as far as the eye can see - 20 billion people and rising! There would be no trees, no grasses, no wildlife larger than rats, flies and mosquitoes - just concrete, glass and steel filled with technologically enhanced hominids, each half dozen of them having their own self-contained room with space for a double bed, a kitchen sink and cupboards, serviced by 3D printed nutrient blocks derived from microbes and the jellyfish that fill the oceans. (The bathrooms are off the hallway, by the liftwells).

The dust from what was once forest and arable land blows over and bakes in the 50C (122F) temperatures, but fortunately good middle class units will be hermetically sealed against the dust and thick pollutants and pumped with airconditioning that usually works.

Sounds like fun!
Judaka

Post by Judaka »

For those interested:

World population expected to plateau at 9 billion.

https://www.geek.com/news/the-education ... 0-1607645/
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:10 pm If you wanted to control the population, how would you go about it? Assuming you had the technology, what would you do? Reduce the sex drive? Poison and kill the population?

Would you apply this to the entire population or be selective about it? Or maybe you feel it's not a problem (the Chinese wouldn't agree). Another possibility is taxation. What can you add to this discussion?

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
Get rid of electricity....nature will do the rest.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Sterilization. Or a really big bomb. Prefer the former, but the latter is appealing to my sense of the dramatic.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Judaka wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:18 am For those interested:

World population expected to plateau at 9 billion.

https://www.geek.com/news/the-education ... 0-1607645/
Everything we do is already unsustainable. Thus inhabitable and arable land will reduce and we shall, as mentioned, be increasingly jamming on top of each other living in ever smaller (and higher priced) boxes. Look at the world already - cities of 20 million with skyscraper after skyscraper.

There's an area in northern China with about 400 million people and at some point later on this century the wet bulb temperature is expected to exceed 35C at various days in summertime in that area. At (wet bulb) 35C the human body cannot cool off and an average person will die in a matter of hours, even in the shade.

So, what to do with those 400 million? Further, parts of Africa, Australia, central America, SE Asia and Pacific Islands are also expected to become uninhabitable. What to do with them? The only "answer" is seemingly to keep cramming people on top of each other until [unknown].
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Soylent Green anybody!
Greta

Post by Greta »

Dubious wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:44 amSoylent Green anybody!
What sauce would you suggest?