Smoking - bad, worse or the Devil himself?

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

QuantumT

Smoking - bad, worse or the Devil himself?

Post by QuantumT »

Is smoking really as dangerous as they say, or are we being dictated by fanatics?

I'm not saying that smoking is harmless, I'm just asking if the warnings are exaggerated or even hysterical?
A_Seagull

Re: Smoking - bad, worse or the Devil himself?

Post by A_Seagull »

QuantumT wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:00 pm Is smoking really as dangerous as they say, or are we being dictated by fanatics?

I'm not saying that smoking is harmless, I'm just asking if the warnings are exaggerated or even hysterical?
Everywhere there are lies.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

depends on what is burning

-Imp
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

Impenitent wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 10:16 pm depends on what is burning

-Imp
I'm not talking about smoking weed or salmon

vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

I suppose yanks only have to pay about $5 for a packet of smokes :roll: I guess bullying the rest of the planet and blowing up countries has its rewards. More deaths from smoking though (there's always a silver lining somewhere).
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:15 pm I suppose yanks only have to pay about $5 for a packet of smokes :roll: I guess bullying the rest of the planet and blowing up countries has its rewards. More deaths from smoking though (there's always a silver lining somewhere).
I wonder what Kiwis and Aussies do?

🇺🇸PhilX🇺🇸
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:50 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:15 pm I suppose yanks only have to pay about $5 for a packet of smokes :roll: I guess bullying the rest of the planet and blowing up countries has its rewards. More deaths from smoking though (there's always a silver lining somewhere).

🇺🇸PhilX🇺🇸
Sniff each other's farts.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:48 pm

🇺🇸PhilX🇺🇸
Are they dogs?

🇺🇸PhilX🇺🇸
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:54 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:48 pm

🇺🇸PhilX🇺🇸
Are they dogs?

🇺🇸PhilX🇺🇸
The aussies?
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

QuantumT wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:00 pm Is smoking really as dangerous as they say, or are we being dictated by fanatics?

Since nobody else seems to wanna answer my questions, I'll lead and have a go at it.

Smoking is bad for many people. Second hand smoking through years is also. Some get sick - and here's the most important thing: Many don't!
Many diseases are contributed to smoking, without direct evidence (like cardiovascular). But nobody dares to challenge the agenda.

If they warned against UV sunlight in the same degree, most people would live strange lives, trying to avoid the evil sun. Bare skin would be a provocation to show in public. Not wearing sunscreen and an umbrella or hat would be frowned upon. Being indoor would be prefered by most.

The campaign against smoking has gone too far some places, where even outdoor smoking is prohibited. The propaganda has reached nausiating proportions. It is slowly becoming a modern day witch hunt.

What do you think?
Last edited by QuantumT on Fri May 18, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vegetariantaxidermy

QuantumT wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:51 pm

Since nobody else seems to wanna answer my questions, I'll lead and have a go at it.

Smoking is bad for many people. Second hand smoking through years is also. Some get sick - and here's the most important thing: Many don't!
Many diseases are contributed to smoking, without direct evidence (like cardiovascular). But nobody dares to challenge the agenda.

If they warned against UV sunlight in the same degree, most people would live strange lives, trying to avoid the evil sun. Bare skin would be a provokation to show in public. Not wearing sunscreen and an unbrella or hat would be frowned upon. Being indoor would be prefered by most.

The campaign against smoking has gone too far some places, where even outdoor smoking is prohibited. The propaganda has reached nausiating proportions. It is slowly becoming a modern day witch hunt.

What do you think?
I agree with you Quantum. The world has turned beige in the last couple of decades. Beyond ridiculous is the banning of smoking in pubs. I mean ffs. Bars have never been considered health spas. People are in there to destroy their brains and livers so I don't think a bit of smoke is going to bother them. All it means is that smokers have to stand outside in the weather and throw their filthy butts into the gutters, clogging up waterways and killing wildlife. It's all so hypocritical. A packet of cigarettes here is around $30, with most of it being tax. Smokers tend to be among the poorest of society, so who's going to suffer when the smokes vacuum up half the family income? The children of course. As long as the PC get their way, they don't give a damn what the fallout does. The irony is, of course, that smoking is more popular than ever. Another irony is that the air in aeroplanes is now less clean for the passengers since smoking was banned because the air is changed less often (due to there being no visible smoke, therefore less motivation to change the air as often) which means less oxygen and more carbon dioxide which equals a lot of passengers feeling awful and more cases of 'plane rage'. People always go overboard--due to a combination of lack of foresight/logic/brain cells. Of course teachers shouldn't be allowed to smoke in the classroom, but being fanatical helps no one except whoever is raking in the tax dollars.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

If they warned against UV sunlight in the same degree, most people would live strange lives, trying to avoid the evil sun. Bare skin would be a provocation to show in public. Not wearing sunscreen and an umbrella or hat would be frowned upon. Being indoor would be prefered by most.

What do you think?
I smoke so my retirement is secure and I don't have to worry about dying in a nursing home...it is not all about the smoker...it is about other people too...the economy, etc.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Fact: "Smoke inhalation is the primary cause of death for victims of fires. The inhalation or exposure to hot gaseous products of combustion can cause serious respiratory complications.

Some 50–80% of fire deaths are the result of smoke inhalation injuries, including burns to the respiratory system. The hot smoke injures or kills by a combination of thermal damage, poisoning and pulmonary irritation and swelling, caused by carbon monoxide, cyanide and other combustion products." --wikipedia--

Cigarette manufacturers actually 'add' Benzine into their tobacco products. Benzine is a constituent of gasoline, particularly nasty.

Below, read and learn about the 'additives' if you want to understand.

"A list of 599 cigarette additives, created by five major American cigarette companies, was approved by the Department of Health and Human Services in April 1994. None of these additives is listed as an ingredient on the cigarette pack(s). Chemicals are added for organoleptic purposes and many boost the addictive properties of cigarettes, especially when burned.[citation needed]

One of the classes of chemicals on the list, ammonia salts, convert bound nicotine molecules in tobacco smoke into free nicotine molecules. This process, known as freebasing, could potentially increase the effect of nicotine on the smoker, but experimental data suggests that absorption is, in practice, unaffected." --wikipedia--

So what do you think?

I always tell people the truth when I say, "I smoked cigarettes for 15 years, and I tried to quit for 14 years." Of course I've now been cigarette free for over 30 years. And I quit "cold turkey!" Yeah!!
vegetariantaxidermy

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 4:08 pm

What do you think?
I smoke so my retirement is secure and I don't have to worry about dying in a nursing home...it is not all about the smoker...it is about other people too...the economy, etc.
Good point.
vegetariantaxidermy

I don't believe it's even addictive. It's just a habit that many people enjoy. I don't think it's addictive because I tried it for a few months. I stopped, and there were no withdrawals. Nothing. Take heroin for a few months, stop, and see what happens.