Obviously what we want is a lot more guns

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Obviously what we want is a lot more guns

Post by Walker »

Belinda wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:33 am Walker, your latest post was unnecessary and obscene. It lacked anything of any use to man or beast.
Then destroy it with rationality, because your opinion is just that (opinion).

That would be quite refreshing to hear in a realm of opinion and belief, and questions.

I won't hold my breath.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"it worries me and many others that Americans don't feel a state of emergency."

Blame that on the vast propaganda machine that passes for the American press. When everything is presented as emergency one become insensitive to it all.

#

'The proper response to state of emergency is not always Draconian policing and tanks and guns and so on but can and should be diplomacy in foreign affairs like some Americans have been famous for in the past"

Yeah, I think sometimes Americans talk too damn much. Nine times out of ten all you need to do to is tell the demonstrated bad guy 'stop it', you say it once, and if he doesn't, you rain down holy hell, then you go home...but America has become nutso with imperialism and interventions, all fueled by idealism...we should get back to our practical roots and -- if we must lead -- let it be by example and not forced exporting of 'Americanism'.

#

"improvements to welfare of American individuals in need"

Don't know how we can do that...pretty much any one who wants it - whether they need it or not -- can go on the dole in America...as it stands: there's little damned reason for a body to work and self-suffice cuz the system rewards stasis and dependence and punishes self-reliance and work.

#

"strangers on American territory"

If such folks come legally, then -- yeah -- we should afford then the hospitality due guests, but that ain't how it works...no, if you come illegally, then everyone and his mother will kiss your ass while the fellow who did it right is given the cold shoulder.

#

"education for the masses like the best that America provides for richer individuals"

Another area I can't say how to improve...America throws an enormous amount of money into public education with unsatisfying results...perhaps the hobbling of American education by teachers' unions and crapsack curricula might have sumthin' to do with that.

#

"free journalism"

Our journalism is so free and unrestricted than many, most, 'journalists; have been free to sell their ink-stained souls and now act as agents of the propaganda machine (which, incidentally, skews in a LARGE way toward communitarianism)...there's little 'reporting' goin' on in American, by Americans.

#

"controls on environmental degradation"

America has vast controls in place right now...that's why my little ford focus only gets 30 miles to the gallon instead of the 60 its capable of.

#

"Your conscience/consciousness is decidedly optimistic regarding the ability of individuals to resist social evils."

I don't know that I'm optimistic so much as I know 'me' (and I ain't nuthin' special), so if I can do it (self-direct, self-rely), most others can too.

#

"I am thinking that you maybe express a general right wing, conservative consciousness/conscience among Americans"

I think Americans, at heart, are 'libertarian'...most just wanna be left alone, wanna leave others alone, but the lot of us keep gettin' hoodwinked by folks who dangle shiny baubles in front of us...it would be nice if we Americans could wise up but that doesn't seem likely.

#

"I'd like to read more."

Ask me questions and I'll answer as best I can.