Human Rights but on what basis

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

RWStanding

Human Rights but on what basis

Post by RWStanding »

Human Rights
There is a peculiarity and problem in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. It is a system that relates quite essentially to individuals, and on a universal or global basis. Where countries are spoken of they are virtually subsections of a world Society. This is essentially a top down direction of government. People as an aggregate of individuals. Nation states are virtually inevitably reduced to little more than geography. A world of people that would almost inevitably become one [tedious] race, culture, and homogeneous whole, and with 15 billion people managed by ........?
The alternative has universality for social values, rights, and responsibilities. In this everyone has the right to a shared culture cultivated by the country in which they live, as their primary society. The world as a whole may then be an egalitarian collection of local societies, or countries, with these expected to relate together altruistically, for mutual benefit. Each country responsible for maintaining society, environment, nature, and an economy, that are 'sustainable' as a whole or holistically.
Necromancer

Re: Human Rights but on what basis

Post by Necromancer »

I don't consider attacks on Human Rights (UDHR) to be credible! Your text, RWStanding, is far too short for conceiving anything alternative. For example, which Human Rights (30) are supposed to "go away" in this alternative which seems vastly Utilitaristic such that "uhhh, I am of the elevated elite, problems are not supposed to affect me because all that I am thinking and doing is perfect under this new World order"! At the same time ignoring the very fine progress just for the last 150 years!

No, the way I see it, we live the World from a peak in time where Human Rights (UDHR) come late but good and represent the awesome targets for people living everywhere, no difference made, but "practical limits" such as "cultural/political" chaos in Afghanistan! In other words, we have yet to see the full potential of the Human Rights right from the UN, the lighthouse of human kind, to all people!

:)