Announcing a new science - its name is ETHICS

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

prof

Announcing a new science - its name is ETHICS

Post by prof »

Check this out. Let me know your views after you have done the research:

https://www.amazon.com/LIVING-SUCCESSFU ... 83948953&s

Review it?

Comments?

Questions?
TSBU

Re: Announcing a new science - its name is ETHICS

Post by TSBU »

"LIVING SUCCESSFULLY: How the new science of Ethics will benefit you"

Writing a creepy book and selling it.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

*Groan*
prof

Post by prof »

Alluding to the last two entries,

is this what passes for Philosophical analysis?

....I was hoping for some good Philosophy of Science, viz., of the Science of Ethics.

Of course, that would require an acquaintance with the field of study - the new young science - before comment is made ....or is that asking too much??
BradburyPound

Post by BradburyPound »

Are you Daniel McKay?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

prof wrote:Alluding to the last two entries,

....I was hoping for some good Philosophy of Science, viz., of the Science of Ethics.

Of course, that would require an acquaintance with the field of study - the new young science - before comment is made ....or is that asking too much??
Ethics is not a science. Science is a reproducible methodology. What you are doing is pontificating on what you think ethical standards should be, and I'll have none of it. So stuff it.
prof

Post by prof »

Dalek Prime wrote: Ethics is not a science. Science is a reproducible methodology. What you are doing is pontificating on what you think ethical standards should be, and I'll have none of it. So stuff it.
You are not keeping up-to-date, abreast of the latest developments. Ethics is a science now. It has a reproducible methodology: the administration of tests to determine how the test-taker thinks about values, and what general conclusions can be drawn when this test is administered to thousands of councilees. The test is scored objectively by standard statistical methods. It has been validated many times, and is listed in Buro's Manual of established tests.

Incidentally, don't you tell us what should be when you recommend that we all refrain from procreating new children? When you do that are you "pontificating"?

Is it good ethical practice to speak to people this way: "Stuff it" ?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

prof wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote: Ethics is not a science. Science is a reproducible methodology. What you are doing is pontificating on what you think ethical standards should be, and I'll have none of it. So stuff it.
You are not keeping up-to-date, abreast of the latest developments. Ethics is a science now. It has a reproducible methodology: the administration of tests to determine how the test-taker thinks about values, and what general conclusions can be drawn when this test is administered to thousands of councilees. The test is scored objectively by standard statistical methods. It has been validated many times, and is listed in Buro's Manual of established tests.

Incidentally, don't you tell us what should be when you recommend that we all refrain from procreating new children? When you do that are you "pontificating"?

Is it good ethical practice to speak to people this way: "Stuff it" ?
Of course I pontificate. At least I recognize it. And my values are still different from those of the test takers. So pardon me whilst I ignore your values, as they are not shared by me.

My first value and priority is to keep with Kant's 'do no harm'. As harm in existence is unavoidable, every (biological) parent breaks that rule.
prof

Post by prof »

[

... priority is to keep with Kant's 'do no harm'

Agreed.

This includes refraining from psychological abuse-such as name-calling; and from committing violence; and from participating in a war.

The book recommended for reviewing [a link to which was offered in the original post] emphasizes that priority to which you allude many times throughout the document ....which anyone who took time to read it would have noticed. It goes further, and reports on several other priorities that emerge from the empirical findings discovered by the experimenters - in the new science of Ethics.

As in every science, the more that is learned, the more questions are raised, and the more new problems arise on the forefront of the knowledge gained. As the circle of knowledge expands, the circumference of that circle - bordering on the unknown - expands proportionately.

Comments? questions?
Conde Lucanor

Post by Conde Lucanor »

prof wrote:
Psychometric tests are not science. Statistics are deceiving. Psychology itself is a good candidate for pseudoscience.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

prof wrote:
... priority is to keep with Kant's 'do no harm'

Agreed.

This includes refraining from psychological abuse-such as name-calling; and from committing violence; and from participating in a war
Refraining from exposing others to the unavoidable harms of existence is the only complete way of remaining true to Kant's dictum. To do otherwise is to wilfully ignore the harms you are exposing a person to, and weighing harms you accept as reasonable to expose others to. You are just choosing acceptable harms. And those include the exact ones you brought up.

You have your parents to blame for being exposed to name-calling, And my parents for this specific instance. Birth is the sine qua non of all harm; name-calling, violence, war.... Everything.

And if this book is about Kant, why not just read Kant? How is this 'new science of ethics' new?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Becoming acquainted with the claimed field of study would require buying the book and wasting the time to read it. Neither is appealing and both are too much to ask. Ethics is situational and difficult to apply controls to, so it is difficult to see how it could be considered as a science.
prof

Post by prof »

thedoc wrote:

Becoming acquainted with the claimed field of study would require buying the book ... too much to ask.
Ethics -- ...it is difficult to see how it could be considered as a science.
Because it is "difficult to see how," that is exactly a good reason to read the book: LIVING SUCCESSFULLY: how the new science of Ethics will benefit you.

IF anyone here cares enough to learn, send me your email address via a private message, and if you cannot afford the eight bucks (it takes to download the book to your Kindle app) I will send you a pdf of the 113-page document free of all charge. After one reads it over, he or she will see..... The careful reader will have an entirely-new orientation on the subject; will see the logic of it all; will see how everything you know about ethics fits together, and is explained and ordered by the new paradigm. The reader will comprehend and understand how and why it is an empirical science with replicable experiments and the use of scientific methods of reasearch. {To read unsolicited reviews by purchasers, merely type in the author's name in a search box, and click on the Amazon logo to go directly to the book.}
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

prof wrote:
thedoc wrote:

Becoming acquainted with the claimed field of study would require buying the book ... too much to ask.
Ethics -- ...it is difficult to see how it could be considered as a science.
Because it is "difficult to see how," that is exactly a good reason to read the book: LIVING SUCCESSFULLY: how the new science of Ethics will benefit you.
You are still wrong.
You are fundamentally wrong from your assumptions down.
This means that all your conclusions are false.
prof

Post by prof »

BradburyPound wrote:Are you Daniel McKay?
No, I'm not.

Who is he? :?: ?

Please direct me to a link about him. Maybe I'll learn something.......