Designer Babies

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greta

Re: Designer Babies

Post by Greta »

Dalek Prime wrote:You know, if any of you folks bothered to go through Benatar's book, you might actually understand the argument.

Oh, and thanks for that Greta. How thoughtful.

You've all gotten rid of me. Now you can bicker about the 'big things in philosophy', and accomplish.... Nothing.
Okay. Happy reading! :)
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Dalek Prime wrote:You know, if any of you folks bothered to go through Benatar's book, you might actually understand the argument.

You've all gotten rid of me. Now you can bicker about the 'big things in philosophy', and accomplish.... Nothing.
And what do you hope to accomplish here?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:

How did Rick come into it??
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:

How did Rick come into it??
Why are you asking me?
vegetariantaxidermy

Hobbes' Choice wrote: Why are you asking me?
Dalek's gone. I thought you might know.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote: Why are you asking me?
Dalek's gone. I thought you might know.
You mean this bit tagged on at the end of Dalek's post??

RickLewis wrote:.

Thanks for the stay, Rick. Appreciated. Best wishes for the magazine.

I really have no idea.

I can only assume that Dalek has discovered that his "never been" stance is untenable and posted a "fullstop" from Rick, as a goodbye.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Dalek Prime wrote:You've all gotten rid of me.
Not intended! But please tell us how we did that so we can use it on some other people. :twisted:
Dalek Prime wrote:Now you can bicker about the 'big things in philosophy', and accomplish.... Nothing.
See, Dalek, this seems to be the point I've surrendered to... "accomplishing nothing". Oh sure, I can accomplish all sorts of things day-to-day that support this wonderful illusion I'm living... but when it comes to the philosophical task of examining life, it appears to me that there is nothing to accomplish. Once I accepted that, I felt much freer to have fun with this experience. There are no ultimate shoulds or shouldn'ts. It doesn't matter whether we're born or not... but since we ARE here with all the sensory input, let's appreciate and enjoy it while we have it. Within each moment we simply create and/or vibrate in the energy we crave -- and I'm guessing that the form that takes is unimportant. There's no particular way to do it, because there is nothing to accomplish. Very freeing!
vegetariantaxidermy

Going by the suicide rate there must be a heck of a lot of 'antinatalists' out there.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Going by the suicide rate there must be a heck of a lot of 'antinatalists' out there.
Rick told me off for saying that; the obvious.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
I do not see the slightest reason prima facie to assert that as a real possibility.

Some dictator might try to convince parents to carry GM children with modified emotional capacity. But there is no specific gene for "emotion". Its like the substrate of all human experience. You could not remove "all emotion" any more than you could remove the hydrogen from water.
Why does everyone always take what I say verbatim, not really getting the point I'm making. Which is that there may be unforeseen consequences that lends to our destruction.

HC, NO ONE CAN PREDICT THE FUTURE!! And someone calculating probabilities with regard to unknown territory is just pissing in the wind. Things pertaining to life in this case are not necessarily calculable.
I'm just discussing it. Maybe this is why you are such a dick all the time???
:lol:
So if that's my excuse, what's your's? :P :lol:

It just seems to me that whilst you might get psychopaths; having a completely emotionless human seems not possible, emotions being too much part of what it means to be a mammal to make this seem impossible.
Yes I understand that those that draw strength from their self pride thus 'believing' they 'know,' in the interest of their future hero status, and the money that goes along with it, might want to believe that bad things pertaining to their vision, seem impossible. As the humbled observer that I am, I tend to cling to Socrates' belief that I really only know that I don't know, thus the chances that I might slip and fall on my pride are reduced, as It's always better to err to the side of caution, ensuring Pandora's box is never inadvertently opened.

I'd rather go down in history as a coward than the guy that started the beginning of the end. I'm really not a gambler, especially with stakes that are not exclusively mine to bet.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote: Why does everyone always take what I say verbatim, not really getting the point I'm making. Which is that there may be unforeseen consequences that lends to our destruction.

HC, NO ONE CAN PREDICT THE FUTURE!! And someone calculating probabilities with regard to unknown territory is just pissing in the wind. Things pertaining to life in this case are not necessarily calculable.

It just seems to me that whilst you might get psychopaths; having a completely emotionless human seems not possible, emotions being too much part of what it means to be a mammal to make this seem impossible.
Yes I understand that those that draw strength from their self pride thus 'believing' they 'know,' in the interest of their future hero status, and the money that goes along with it, might want to believe that bad things pertaining to their vision, seem impossible. As the humbled observer that I am, I tend to cling to Socrates' belief that I really only know that I don't know, thus the chances that I might slip and fall on my pride are reduced, as It's always better to err to the side of caution, ensuring Pandora's box is never inadvertently opened.

I'd rather go down in history as a coward than the guy that started the beginning of the end. I'm really not a gambler, especially with stakes that are not exclusively mine to bet.
Yes - you've gone off on one again.
Enjoy your solitude, you seem to thrive on it.
SpheresOfBalance

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:

What the hell are you talking about?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:
Exactly what I could have asked you!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Why not read back to yourself your last offering and suggest how it might related to designer babies.
vegetariantaxidermy

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Going by the suicide rate there must be a heck of a lot of 'antinatalists' out there.
Rick told me off for saying that; the obvious.
So Rick did comment? I didn't see that.
SpheresOfBalance

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Exactly what I could have asked you!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Why not read back to yourself your last offering and suggest how it might related to designer babies.
OK, now I know what the problem is. OFTEN, very often, I speak from my knowledge in psychology. I speak of the why's people do as they do. To me it goes hand in hand with philosophy. Why? ;-) Because if one doesn't understand human motivation, including their own, then often their thoughts, beliefs, reasoning, and then assertions, come off as shallow, superficial, and uneducated, as they don't know why they say the things they do, they believe they do, but that's as far as it goes, and it's quite obvious, at least to people like me. Contrary to a lot of peoples belief here, I'm a very deep person, delving much deeper in peoples words than most do.

Knowing the why's of peoples motivation starts with understanding survival of the fittest, competition, fear, peer pressure, pride, self esteem, self image, and lately, my newest book, the Pulitzer prize winning "Denial of Death," written by cultural anthropologist, PhD, Ernest Becker, etc. Don't believe his book only contains references to cultural anthropology and psychology, as he also references several philosophers as well. Trust me, it's an important read for any philosopher.

It's like this, as a philosopher trying to come to terms with wisdom, knowledge and truth, one must know oneself so as to remove their psychological bias from the equation, else they can never get as close to the absolute truth of what philosophy can offer. Is there not philosophy of mind as a study in philosophy? Of course there is. If one is using the mind to chase down philosophical query, is it not of paramount importance to understand that mind? If one does not fully understand their mind, can that mind lend correctly to the study of philosophy? The answer is no! Sure they can read another's words, but their truest 'understanding' can never be fully realized without understanding the mind of both the one that wrote, and is reading those words.

Of course you can see it any way you want to see it, but I know I'm correct about this. Which is why I study both philosophy and psychology. They support one another, making each other stronger. Their study go hand in hand.

So I was speaking of the main reason one would want to, (why), pursue such endeavor, as pioneering designer babies, despite anything they might say to the contrary, which is much deeper than most would go, not being informed by psychology. Sorry about that. ;-)