Ethical scenarios, real and imagined

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Ethical scenarios, real and imagined

Post by Walker »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Walker wrote:Depending on the situation, inaction causes harm.
I wasn't the originator of harm. No harm is caused by not creating a consciousness. All harms are spared those not created.
Sure. Just pretend the drowning kids don’t exist and pretty soon that will be true. You know, like the three monkeys that cover eyes, mouth, and ears. What me worry.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Walker wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:
Walker wrote:Depending on the situation, inaction causes harm.
I wasn't the originator of harm. No harm is caused by not creating a consciousness. All harms are spared those not created.
Sure. Just pretend the drowning kids don’t exist and pretty soon that will be true. You know, like the three monkeys that cover eyes, mouth, and ears. What me worry.
Sure, just pretend it's my problem. It still won't be true. I'm responsible for those I create (zero) and those I choose to take into my care. That's it. The rest of the world can go to hell in a handbasket, whilst I play the violin.

And I know you think the same way, as you worship Rand and selfishness, so don't pretend to have a greater morality.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dalek Prime wrote: Sure, just pretend it's my problem. It still won't be true. I'm responsible for those I create (zero) and those I choose to take into my care. That's it. The rest of the world can go to hell in a handbasket, whilst I play the violin.

And I know you think the same way, as you worship Rand and selfishness, so don't pretend to have a greater morality.
I don't think you're writing from experience.
I don't think you've ever stood by and watched children drown.
Have you?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Walker wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote: Sure, just pretend it's my problem. It still won't be true. I'm responsible for those I create (zero) and those I choose to take into my care. That's it. The rest of the world can go to hell in a handbasket, whilst I play the violin.

I don't think you've ever stood by and watch children drown.
Actually, I have saved a young life. And I'm not one to stand by. At least I wasn't. But now, the way I think, I do leave the rest to their own devices. With perhaps twenty years left on life, I will do only for myself, and do look away as everyone else burns. I honestly don't care anymore.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Walker wrote:

I don't think you've ever stood by and watch children drown.
Actually, I have saved a young life. And I'm not one to stand by. At least I wasn't. But now, the way I think, I do leave the rest to their own devices. With perhaps twenty years left on life, I will do only for myself, and do look away as everyone else burns. I honestly don't care anymore.
Where there you go.

You have not stood by and watched children drown.

That you assume you would do so, after never having done so, is a concept. Plain and simple.

Another person not bound to such conceptual mental boundaries, a free-thinking positive person, simple saves the kids without all the mental rigamarole.

You probably would, too.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Probably an innocent, yes. And probably on gut instinct. But anything else, where before I would intervene out of empathy, not now.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dalek Prime wrote:Probably an innocent, yes. And probably on gut instinct. But anything else, where before I would intervene out of empathy, not now.
To believe in an idea to predetermine future behavior is a form of idolatry, no matter how that belief comes into being. (first sentence)
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Walker wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:Probably an innocent, yes. And probably on gut instinct. But anything else, where before I would intervene out of empathy, not now.
To believe in an idea to predetermine future behavior is a form of idolatry, no matter how that belief comes into being. (first sentence)
You have no idea what you speak of. Society predetermines future behaviours of its people everyday. And that has nothing to do with idolatry, besides. Where do you get your silly notions from? You have very unique definitions not shared by others, and fail to convey anything because of this.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Think about it. The principle is true. Philosophy is about principles.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Walker wrote:Think about it. The principle is true. Philosophy is about principles.
Philosophy is reason. And if that reason is based on falsity, it's not worth a thing.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Walker wrote:Think about it. The principle is true. Philosophy is about principles.
Philosophy is reason. And if that reason is based on falsity, it's not worth a thing.
Yeah, but whatever you do, don't think about it.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Walker wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:
Yeah, but whatever you do, don't think about it.
I must. You remind me of it with each post.
Walker

Post by Walker »

So, instead of redefining philosophy from the sentence as you did, you instead thought about the principle. And now you see the truth of the principle, that a concept can be an idol, and can also be worshiped. Sure.

I know that you are not interested in a serious conversation. You have made this clear.

I'm simply pointing out the consistency of your illogical statements.

Rather than a serious discussion, you go for cute most every time.

Like a woman.

So, since you're not interested in the thread topic, you really have nothing else relevant to say here.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Walker wrote:So, instead of redefining philosophy from the sentence as you did, you instead thought about the principle. And now you see the truth of the principle, that a concept can be an idol, and can also be worshiped. Sure.

I know that you are not interested in a serious conversation. You have made this clear.

I'm simply pointing out the consistency of your illogical statements.

Rather than a serious discussion, you go for cute most every time.

Like a woman.

So, since you're not interested in the thread topic, you really have nothing else relevant to say here.
Hate women much?

Strangely, you say you're interested, yet you have no relevancy. We've been through this before, Walker. You quote bullshit, and anyone who disagrees with you is irrelevant. So, why should I treat you as anything but a nuisance? You strike me as just an angry young man.
Walker

Post by Walker »

You have not once addressed content.

You're just screwing around.

And you're not wasting my time anymore.