My Moral Precepts

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Systematic

My Moral Precepts

Post by Systematic »

The first precept of my morality is to avoid cruelty to be meted to self or to others. Cruelty should not be tolerated except, paradoxically, as an antidote to cruelty. If people are nice to you, then you should not be cruel to them. If they are cruel to you, then be cruel to them. Because when you bend and bow to those who are cruel to you, you encourage that behavior.
If you follow the advice of Nietzsche or Machiavelli, you will be judged an A-hole. However, if you take the classical promotion of meekness to be ideal, you will be allowing others to be A-holes to you.

The second precept of my morality is to lay claim to truth. I’m not sure why anyone would not want truth instead of untruth, but Nietzsche made such a suggestion. I would like to point out that he was obsessed with truth even though he promoted something else. It’s not always possible to get close to the absolute truth, but, with few exceptions, truth is beneficial.

The third precept of my morality is hard work. I don’t value hard work as a value per se. Hard work is necessary to make a habit in order to capacitate one’s self. It hones one’s skill and makes it possible to reach goals etc. And I believe that it is better to work under one’s own direction rather than the direction of others unless the worker finds it impossible to reach learning or other goals by any other way.

The fourth precept of my morality is perfection. This one is almost impossible for man in any large quantity, but is scalable to machine workmanship. If we can manufacture computers that simulate whole worlds, then we can manufacture computers that don’t make mistakes.
Obvious Leo

Re: My Moral Precepts

Post by Obvious Leo »

Computers cannot make mistakes because they cannot make choices. Is this the mechanism by which a human being should strive for perfection?
attofishpi

Re: My Moral Precepts

Post by attofishpi »

Computers do not make mistakes, programmers do and hardware fails over time.