Tenzin Gyatso on Global Violence & Man-Made Issues

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Bill Wiltrack

Tenzin Gyatso on Global Violence & Man-Made Issues

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Following the deadly Paris attacks, the Tibetan spiritual leader tells DW that people should not expect God to resolve man-made problems, and that a systematic approach is needed to foster humanistic values.

For millions of his devotees across the world, the Dalai Lama is the embodiment of humanity and compassion. The Dalai Lama, whose real name is Tenzin Gyatso, received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989, and is known for his decades-long struggle for Tibet's autonomy.

We need a systematic approach to foster humanistic values, of oneness and harmony. If we start doing it now, there is hope that this century will be different from the previous one. It is in everybody's interest. So let us work for peace within our families and society, and not expect help from God, Buddha or the governments.

I think that only a small percentage of people subscribe to the violent discourse. We are human beings, and there is no basis or justification for killing others. If you consider others as brothers and sisters and respect their rights, then there is no room for violence.

Furthermore, the problems that we are facing today are the result of superficial differences over religious faiths and nationalities. We are one people.

People want to lead a peaceful lives. The terrorists are short-sighted, and this is one of the causes of rampant suicide bombings. We cannot solve this problem only through prayers. I am a Buddhist and I believe in praying. But humans have created this problem, and now we are asking God to solve it. It is illogical. God would say, solve it yourself because you created it in the first place.

prof

Re: Tenzin Gyatso on Global Violence & Man-Made Issues

Post by prof »

He also said, in that same interview, "Our troubles will increase if we don't put moral principles over money. Morality is important for everyone ... including politicians."

Compare what he is saying with what I expressed - although perhaps not nearly so simply and so direct - in this (very recent) brochure, entitled LIVING WELL: How ethics helps us flourish..

Check it out, at no charge, HERE: http://www.myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/LI ... ourish.pdf

It is relatively brief, and in it I sound like a professor of Ethics. Critics have had some very nice things to say about it, calling it "Persuasive.". What are your impressions? Can you find illustrations for it? What other improvements would you suggest {before I take it to a publisher}?
Am I not making many of the same points as the Dalai Lama? Of course, he says it better!!

You were wise, Bill, to have found this interview of him and to offer it to us, for all to see. It is so relevant, so much to the point, and so deep while being so clear and indisputable!

Thank You, Bill. I for one am very grateful for your perceptivity and sensitivity to Ethics.