Remembrance Day Poppies

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skip

Remembrance Day Poppies

Post by Skip »

Who wears one?
If so, why? And do you buy a new one every year or put on the same old one?
If not, why not?
Is your decision based on a moral principle?
Obvious Leo

Re: Remembrance Day Poppies

Post by Obvious Leo »

It's not a normal part of the Australian cultural tradition, Skip, and personally I'm rather glad of it. However I see no reason why any individual person shouldn't express their horror at the futility of war in this way if doing so is of personal significance to them.

( P.S. I've never bought my wife flowers on Valentine's day either, but that's only because I choose not to have my sentimental gestures choreographed in order to serve the commercial interests of others.)
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Obvious Leo wrote:It's not a normal part of the Australian cultural tradition, Skip, and personally I'm rather glad of it. However I see no reason why any individual person shouldn't express their horror at the futility of war in this way if doing so is of personal significance to them.

( P.S. I've never bought my wife flowers on Valentine's day either, but that's only because I choose not to have my sentimental gestures choreographed in order to serve the commercial interests of others.)
Bullshit. It doesn't signify that at all. White poppies perhaps do, but certainly not red ones, especially not now. In England it's deteriorated to the point where it's become a gung-ho 'I support the troops' garbage statement. You do come across as incredibly naive. I have a feeling it's a bit of a put-on. You live in Australia and you don't seem to have a clue about red poppies? Give me a break.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Maybe it's a Canadian thing. The poem that inspired the symbol was written by a Canadian.
Aside from a few scandals (well, what family doesn't have its black sheep?) I have no reason to be ashamed of our armed forces: they have generally acquitted themselves well in civilian emergencies and peace-keeping missions, as well as combat.

I don't approve of warfare, nor of the particular conflict to which the Canadian forces have been most recently committed - but I don't blame the soldiers for that. And certainly not the veterans who benefit from the proceeds of the poppy campaign. So I usually buy one, but don't wear it, except in places where not wearing it would be an insult to old men who may deserve some respect.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:You live in Australia and you don't seem to have a clue about red poppies?
I didn't say I didn't have a clue about them and I don't give a shit about what you imagine they might signify. I merely said that wearing such symbols is not a normal part of the Australian cultural tradition. The reason why I say this is because it isn't.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Obvious Leo wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:You live in Australia and you don't seem to have a clue about red poppies?
I didn't say I didn't have a clue about them and I don't give a shit about what you imagine they might signify. I merely said that wearing such symbols is not a normal part of the Australian cultural tradition. The reason why I say this is because it isn't.
:lol: