Is dumbing down a resume legitimate?

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Re: Is dumbing down a resume legitimate?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Obvious Leo wrote:Phil. Could you read my posts a little more carefully please. I said that nobody in the whole world gives away 50 hours worth of professional services for free and neither do I. Nobody would expect anything like that and would probably be highly suspicious of such a service provider. Nowadays if a client rings me up for a yak on the phone for half an hour or so I usually don't bill them for it unless there's some follow-up paperwork or a report to write. Why is this of such interest to you?
I was comparing with the SBA which gives unlimited free advice and information (it's a government agency). The services may differ, but they are oriented towards helping small businesses for free.

Also I know in networking that it's often suggested when working for someone in a tight economy to do it for free so that maybe the prospective employer may hire you later (I think the idea stinks, but that's my opinion).

PhilX
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

In business free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it, in my experience. However there are various similar government agencies here which give some simple pointers as to pitfalls to avoid, etc which I'm sure would be of some value. I don't think we're talking about the same thing, Phil, because there are plenty of free agent consultants in the US who do what I do and charge a shitload more than I do for the privilege. As far as I know every advanced economy has them because they're necessary.

I reckon brainwashing people to work for free or for fuck-all on a vague promise of maybe something in the future should be unlawful and I would never recommend doing business with a company which engages in such dishonourable conduct. If you lie down with a dog you'll get fleas, is one of my business mantras.
Philosophy Explorer

Obvious Leo wrote:In business free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it, in my experience. However there are various similar government agencies here which give some simple pointers as to pitfalls to avoid, etc which I'm sure would be of some value. I don't think we're talking about the same thing, Phil, because there are plenty of free agent consultants in the US who do what I do and charge a shitload more than I do for the privilege. As far as I know every advanced economy has them because they're necessary.

I reckon brainwashing people to work for free or for fuck-all on a vague promise of maybe something in the future should be unlawful and I would never recommend doing business with a company which engages in such dishonourable conduct. If you lie down with a dog you'll get fleas, is one of my business mantras.
I'll start a thread on unethical business practice. I'm sure there is much interest in that topic which isn't well covered on this forum.

PhilX
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

I might add, however, that I'm not opposed to all notions of unpaid work for non-profit organisations, particularly for young people trying to build a work profile so they can enter the workforce with some marketable skills. There are numerous charitable organisations around who offer such opportunities, as well as a great many community-based environmental groups. Such bodies need to be well scrutinised and regulated by government but they perform a useful function in society, particularly at times of weak economic growth.
Philosophy Explorer

Obvious Leo wrote:I might add, however, that I'm not opposed to all notions of unpaid work for non-profit organisations, particularly for young people trying to build a work profile so they can enter the workforce with some marketable skills. There are numerous charitable organisations around who offer such opportunities, as well as a great many community-based environmental groups. Such bodies need to be well scrutinised and regulated by government but they perform a useful function in society, particularly at times of weak economic growth.
I once belonged to an organization that taught job-hunting skills (looked good on my resume).

PhilX