Do farm animals and domesticated animals suffer greatly?

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Do farm animals and domesticated animals suffer greatly?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

My answer is yes and no. In general no as they're being cared for as opposed to being out in the wild. But yes they do if they're being mistreated in many different ways.

I did a thread before on the safest animal to eat. I now want to focus on whether animals are suffering greatly under human supervision. Also would you regard animals being separated from their parents as being cruel and a form of suffering?

Here's an article with details:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/s ... l-question

PhilX
Dalek Prime

Re: Do farm animals and domesticated animals suffer greatly?

Post by Dalek Prime »

There are a number of forms of antinatalism. One is environmental antinatalism, which believes humans should go extinct as one species, to end much of the suffering of all other species we impact. A second form is Efilism, coined by Gary Mosher, that believes all species should go extinct, to end all suffering.

I'm neither of these really, and only concern myself with the philanthropic aspects of antinatalism.
Philosophy Explorer

Dalek Prime wrote:There are a number of forms of antinatalism. One is environmental antinatalism, which believes humans should go extinct as one species, to end much of the suffering of all other species we impact. A second form is Efilism, coined by Gary Mosher, that believes all species should go extinct, to end all suffering.

I'm neither of these really, and only concern myself with the philanthropic aspects of antinatalism.
Let me add on for those who support such extreme positions that you'd be killing off the plants.

PhilX
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:There are a number of forms of antinatalism. One is environmental antinatalism, which believes humans should go extinct as one species, to end much of the suffering of all other species we impact. A second form is Efilism, coined by Gary Mosher, that believes all species should go extinct, to end all suffering.

Let me add on for those who support such extreme positions that you'd be killing off the plants.

PhilX
Again, not that I'm an efilist, but no one would be killing anything. The plants that could survive without animal life would. The rest would go through natural attrition. And again, does this concern you? How?
Philosophy Explorer

Don't worry Dalek. I'm sure the plants care as much about you as you do about them.

PhilX
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Do farm animals suffer?

Not as much as contributors have to suffer when they wade through the shit that is your posting history.
Philosophy Explorer

Hobbes' Choice wrote:Do farm animals suffer?

Not as much as contributors have to suffer when they wade through the shit that is your posting history.
Well asshole. I see you couldn't hold it in today. How much of YOUR SHIT do we have to put up with today, retard? Grow up.

PhilX
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Don't worry Dalek. I'm sure the plants care as much about you as you do about them.

PhilX
We're mostly just acquaintances, but I'm sure some roughage has passed through my bowels.
Philosophy Explorer

Dalek Prime wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:Don't worry Dalek. I'm sure the plants care as much about you as you do about them.

PhilX
We're mostly just acquaintances, but I'm sure some roughage has passed through my bowels.
At least with you, it's coming out of the right end. With Hobbled, it's coming out of his mouth.

PhilX
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: At least with you, it's coming out of the right end. With Hobbled, it's coming out of his mouth.
PhilX
You do know that there is an ignore function on this site, that sometimes saves a lot of suffering. You just need to remember to log on each time.
Philosophy Explorer

thedoc wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote: At least with you, it's coming out of the right end. With Hobbled, it's coming out of his mouth.
PhilX
You do know that there is an ignore function on this site, that sometimes saves a lot of suffering. You just need to remember to log on each time.
Others don't use it so why should I bother?

PhilX
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

thedoc wrote:
PhilX
Others don't use it so why should I bother?

PhilX
Do you speak for everyone? If you don't like the program, quit bitchin' and change the channel.
Philosophy Explorer

thedoc wrote:
Do you speak for everyone? If you don't like the program, quit bitchin' and change the channel.
Do the others listen to you?

PhilX
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

thedoc wrote:
Do the others listen to you?

PhilX
Why would they, most don't like what I say.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Humans who are suffering greatly can also reproduce, and do so all the time. There is no doubt that animals in captivity suffer greatly.