Doing The Right Thing

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Ginkgo

Re: Doing The Right Thing

Post by Ginkgo »

BeyondTheAstral wrote:What is considered normal for “Doing the Right thing” is based on time and environment, for example at one time it was the right thing to stone a sinner!
Good point. I was using, "do the right thing" as a means for getting into the argument. Doing what ever is right could just as easily be used with utilitarian ethics. Someone trying to maximizing the happiness of the greatest number might be seen as doing the right thing.
Generally we need to provided detailed explanations of the terms we are using.
prof

Post by prof »

tbieter wrote:...I was struck by Bailey's statement, her reason for acting as she did, her doing "the right thing."

Is it reasonable to assert that her action is evidence of the existence of an objective moral order, or of the existence an objective order of right actions ?

In every encounter between a human being and another being, is there a right action to be taken by the human being?

Similar actions occur occasionally and are reported in the news. I've always been struck by the fact that the actor usually (a) acts spontaneously, and, (b) when questioned, refers to doing "the right thing." For example, I recall a report about a homeless guy. He found a briefcase containing a lot of cash in a public place. He promptly went to the nearby police precinct and turned it in. When questioned, he simply said it was the "right thing to do."
What do you think?
As you know, Tom, my system of Ethics is not oriented around the concept "action." Rather, it is concerned with the individual of good character. Such a person would tend to 'do the right thing' most of the time, out of habit and/or out of devotion to being a moral person.

When, as shown in M.C. Katz - BASIC ETHICS - http://www.myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/BASIC%20ETHICS.pdf - it defined the three most well-known schools of traditional ethical theories, and thus absorbed them into its grand synthesis, it managed to rank them, objectively - since the tools it employed to demonstrate this are objective in the universe; but when people get hold of them they often mess things up, they invert the order. In application, their use is subjective - it turned out that, of those three, recent Virtue Ethics ranked highest.

Virtue theory, we demonstrated, has the most relative value among the three schools; it has some insights that will gain us the most returns in terms of well-being. All of the problems that come up in the course of your thread arise because folks are focusing on "action." This causes confusions because the idea is so vague and ambiguous. What, one might well ask, are the limits of an "action"? What are its boundaries? Reasons for an action, though, are important.

Tom, the homeless guy in your cited example many would describe as "honest." True?

Let's listen to the words of a leading authority in the most-up-to-date virtue ethics, Rosalind Hursthouse. The mindset of the highly-moral individual is, she informs us - as she focuses on honesty as a typical characteristic of such an individual:

"the wholehearted acceptance of a certain range of considerations as reasons for action.” Dr. Hursthouse writes (in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy): “An honest person cannot be identified simply as one who, for example, practices honest dealing, and does not cheat. If such actions are done merely because the agent thinks that honesty is the best policy, or because they fear being caught out, rather than through recognizing that “To do otherwise would be dishonest” as the relevant reason, they are not the actions of an honest person.

An honest person cannot be identified simply as one who, for example, always tells the truth, nor even as one who always tells the truth because it is the truth, for one can have the virtue of honesty without being tactless or indiscreet. The honest person recognizes “That would be a lie” as a strong (though perhaps not overriding) reason for not making certain statements in certain circumstances, and gives due, but not overriding, weight to “That would be the truth” as a reason for making them.”
Here she is referring to someone who is totally ethical, which – let’s face it – very few of us are. What Ethics teaches us is, in effect, Be as honest as possible under the circumstances!

Moreover, She admits this when she adds: “…to possess, fully, such a disposition is to possess full or perfect virtue, which is rare, and there are a number of ways of falling short of this ideal (Athanassoulis 2000). Possessing a virtue is a matter of degree, for most people who can be truly described as fairly virtuous, and certainly markedly better than those who can be truly described as dishonest, self-centred and greedy, still have their blind spots—little areas where they do not act for the reasons one would expect.

So someone honest or kind in most situations, and notably so in demanding ones may nevertheless be trivially tainted by snobbery, inclined to be disingenuous about their forebears and less than kind to strangers with the wrong accent.
” And scientific Ethics, in its definition of the concept “morality,” explicitly reminds us that morality, like all values, is a matter of degree. {For details, see the o.p. of the thread “What is Morality? - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10207.}

"An honest person's reasons and choices with respect to honest and dishonest actions reflect her views about honesty and truth—but of course such views manifest themselves with respect to other actions, and to emotional reactions as well. Valuing honesty as she does, she chooses, where possible to work with honest people, to have honest friends, to bring up her children to be honest. She disapproves of, dislikes, deplores dishonesty, is not amused by certain tales of chicanery, despises or pities those who succeed by dishonest means rather than thinking they have been clever, is unsurprised, or pleased (as appropriate) when honesty triumphs, is shocked or distressed when those near and dear to her do what is dishonest and so on.

Given that a virtue is such a multi-track disposition, it would obviously be reckless to attribute one to an agent on the basis of a single observed action or even a series of similar actions, especially if you don't know the agent's reasons for doing as she did (Sreenivasan 2002)"

It could be useful to draw a distinction between the moral genius - who does what s/he should wholeheartedly without a struggle against contrary desires, with no inner conflict - and those who have strength of will. The latter may, for example, own up to a mistake because it would be dishonest not to do so but not without some inner tension. They fully intend to be ethical but it takes a little will power. Until they reach a state of high-morality, they have to control a desire or temptation. Let’s recognize that it is not always easy to get one's emotions in harmony with one's rational recognition of certain reasons for action.

Here is how Professor Hursthouse puts it, writing about modern virtue ethics: “…Quite generally, given that good intentions are intentions to act well or “do the right thing”, we may say that practical wisdom is the knowledge or understanding that enables its possessor, unlike the nice adolescents, to do just that, in any given situation. The detailed specification of what is involved in such knowledge or understanding has not yet appeared in the literature, but some aspects of it are becoming well known.

Even many deontologists now stress the point that their action-guiding rules cannot, reliably, be applied correctly without practical wisdom, because correct application requires situational appreciation—the capacity to recognise, in any particular situation, those features of it that are morally salient. This brings out two aspects of practical wisdom.

One is that it characteristically comes only with experience of life. Amongst the morally relevant features of a situation may be the likely consequences, for the people involved, of a certain action, and this is something that adolescents are notoriously clueless about precisely because they are inexperienced. It is part of practical wisdom to be wise about human beings and human life. (It should go without saying that the virtuous are mindful of the consequences of possible actions. How could they fail to be reckless, thoughtless and short-sighted if they were not?)

The aspect that is more usually stressed regarding situational appreciation is the practically wise agent's capacity to recognise some features of a situation as more important than others, or indeed, in that situation, as the only relevant ones. The wise do not see things in the same way as the nice adolescents who, with their imperfect virtues, still tend to see the personally disadvantageous nature of a certain action as competing in importance with its honesty or benevolence or justice.”

My system of Ethics does not probe into personal intentions, for they are too elusive to measure. We look at actual conduct, and the ‘obligatory norms’ that individuals have openly set for themselves as aiims to which they want to exemplify by their observable conduct.
The benefits of living an ethical life are these: happiness, flourishing, and well-being. All of these together comprise what we shall speak of as a Quality Life. (QL).

Flourishing (in this context) is for rational beings. Happiness, speaking morally, is not subjectively determined. It is measured by scores on a Happiness Index – one designed for individuals, and one designed for societies or nations. [These already exist, fortunately.] These measurements enable us to avoid self-deception. “We have no difficulty” writes Dr. Hursthouse, “in recognizing that I might think I was healthy, either physically or psychologically, or think that I was flourishing and just be plain wrong; It is all too easy for me to be mistaken” about whether my life is a Quality Life, not simply because it is easy to deceive oneself, but because it is easy to have a mistaken conception of a Quality Life, or of what it is to live well as a human being, believing it to consist largely in physical pleasure or luxury for example.

How do you all feel about these points. Were they helpful? Do you see their relevance to the topic?
Last edited by prof on Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
prof

Post by prof »

To sum up, and clarify, these are the facts:

We think most clearly when we focus on who we are as well as on what we do. It is predictable that we will be more likely to have a Quality Life if we have the perspectives on life and the world that comply with the value-hierarchy discovered by Robert S. Hartman. This arranges values in their natural order. Once we get our values straight we naturally tend to do the right thing.

In other words, our moral sense is educated and sensitized then to guide us in our priorities. We then tend to favor policies that will liberate - not us alone, not just our tribe,, but the whole species.

Speaking of this .... are you familiar with this corporation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondragon_ ... ss_culture

Check it out !! It employs over 74,000 people with revenue over $16 billion dollars. And those who work there (partly) own the business. They democratically vote on the pay their executives will get. It serves as a model well-worth copying! (Have you noticed that in the "mom-and-pop" shops we admire so much, the workers are also the owners.)

Also check out The Container Store employment policies. Its C.E.O. in a recent interview, informed the reporter "People join this company and never leave: The turnover rate is 5.7%. We invest an average 263 hours in employee training, compared with eight hours at most retailers. Full-time salespeople earn an average $48,000 a year, double the industry average.

If you take better care of your employees, they will take better care of your customers.

Economist Milton Friedman said the only reason firms exist is to maximize shareholder return. It's a commonly held belief, but it's wrong. If employees aren't happy, customers aren't happy and then shareholders won't be happy. We have to invert the pyramid—a theory we call "Conscious Capitalism." His policy is that " once employees work 6,000 hours, they start getting stock options."
http://online.wsj.com/articles/SB100014 ... #printMode

Did you read this book yet? It contains some valuable information on how to fix the U.S.A. economy with the least changes and the most profound impact: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_and_the_Debt_Trap
Reviews are found here: http://www.amazon.com/Capital-Debt-Trap ... merReviews
Ignore the last review by a fuss-budget who, if he read the grammar found at this forum, would easily burst a blood vessel.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

tbieter wrote:spon·ta·ne·ous adjective \spän-ˈtā-nē-əs\
: done or said in a natural and often sudden way and without a lot of thought or planning
: doing things that have not been planned but that seem enjoyable and worth doing at a particular time
I don't think the homeless guy and the briefcase full of money can be considered a spontaneous act, as it's more compulsions rather than a spontaneous act.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

prof wrote:To sum up, and clarify, these are the facts:

We think most clearly when we focus on who we are as well as on what we do. It is predictable that we will be more likely to have a Quality Life if we have the perspectives on life and the world that comply with the value-hierarchy discovered by Robert S. Hartman. This arranges values in their natural order. Once we get our values straight we naturally tend to do the right thing.

In other words, our moral sense is educated and sensitized then to guide us in our priorities. We then tend to favor policies that will liberate - not us alone, not just our tribe,, but the whole species.

Speaking of this .... are you familiar with this corporation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondragon_ ... ss_culture

Check it out !! It employs over 74,000 people with revenue over $16 billion dollars. And those who work there (partly) own the business. They democratically vote on the pay their executives will get. It serves as a model well-worth copying! (Have you noticed that in the "mom-and-pop" shops we admire so much, the workers are also the owners.)

Also check out The Container Store employment policies. Its C.E.O. in a recent interview, informed the reporter "People join this company and never leave: The turnover rate is 5.7%. We invest an average 263 hours in employee training, compared with eight hours at most retailers. Full-time salespeople earn an average $48,000 a year, double the industry average.

If you take better care of your employees, they will take better care of your customers.

Economist Milton Friedman said the only reason firms exist is to maximize shareholder return. It's a commonly held belief, but it's wrong. If employees aren't happy, customers aren't happy and then shareholders won't be happy. We have to invert the pyramid—a theory we call "Conscious Capitalism." His policy is that " once employees work 6,000 hours, they start getting stock options."
http://online.wsj.com/articles/SB100014 ... #printMode

Did you read this book yet? It contains some valuable information on how to fix the U.S.A. economy with the least changes and the most profound impact: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_and_the_Debt_Trap
Reviews are found here: http://www.amazon.com/Capital-Debt-Trap ... merReviews
Ignore the last review by a fuss-budget who, if he read the grammar found at this forum, would easily burst a blood vessel.
prof, are you familiar with "Distributism" which is exemplified by the Mondragon enterprise? I think that the founder of the latter was a Jesuit priest.
http://distributistreview.com/mag/

On Nov. 25, I'll attend the local Chesterton Society monthly meeting when we'll discuss some Distributist readings.

Note that Mondragon is mentioned in the following article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributism

Why don't more entrepreneurs organize their enterprises on cooperative or distributist principles? Is it because of greedy self-interest?

I think it was Balzac who said that 'behind every great fortune there is a crime.'
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

"I just thought it was the right thing to do," Palicios said.
http://www.aol.com/article/2014/12/03/w ... d%3D575147
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

My mom was a showroom waitress at the international Hilton here in LV for many years. She also found a wallet once and returned it to a customer. The whole staff started making fun of her for what they considered stupidity. They called her names like shirley squirrely...esp. this one woman (Sally) who was known to steal tips on occasion. Finally my mom had had enough and turned to her tormentors and said, "I may be 'squirrely' but let me ask you a question. If you lost your wallet...who do you hope would find it, me or Sally?"

That was the end of the tormenting.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

tbieter wrote:"Bailey, an aspiring physical therapist, told the Devils Lake Journal, “I feel like I was just doing the right thing." (Emphasis added}
http://www.runnersworld.com/general-int ... inish-line

I saw this interview with Bailey on my evening newscast. She made the statement spontaneously, probably as spontaneous as her decision to pick up and carry the other runner to the finish line.

I was struck by Bailey's statement, her reason for acting as she did, her doing "the right thing."

Is it reasonable to assert that her action is evidence of the existence of an objective moral order, or of the existence an objective order of right actions ?

In every encounter between a human being and another being, is there a right action to be taken by the human being?

Similar actions occur occasionally and are reported in the news. I've always been struck by the fact that the actor usually (a) acts spontaneously, and, (b) when questioned, refers to doing "the right thing." For example, I recall a report about a homeless guy. He found a briefcase containing a lot of cash in a public place. He promptly went to the nearby police precinct and turned it in. When questioned, he simply said it was the "right thing to do."

What do you think?

What is an alternative explanation for this pattern of human actions?

spon·ta·ne·ous adjective \spän-ˈtā-nē-əs\
: done or said in a natural and often sudden way and without a lot of thought or planning
: doing things that have not been planned but that seem enjoyable and worth doing at a particular time
It's just programming. There is no right thing to do. The runner carried might only want to experience the accomplishment of crossing the finish line, for their self, such that being carried would instead be the wrong thing for that particular person. In truth, due to programming, and projection of our want's/desires upon others, are such things said.

What they are actually saying in all instances is, "I did what I 'believed' was the right thing to do."
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
tbieter wrote:"Bailey, an aspiring physical therapist, told the Devils Lake Journal, “I feel like I was just doing the right thing." (Emphasis added}

I saw this interview with Bailey on my evening newscast. She made the statement spontaneously, probably as spontaneous as her decision to pick up and carry the other runner to the finish line.

I was struck by Bailey's statement, her reason for acting as she did, her doing "the right thing."

What do you think?

It's just programming. There is no right thing to do. The runner carried might only want to experience the accomplishment of crossing the finish line, for their self, such that being carried would instead be the wrong thing for that particular person. In truth, due to programming, and projection of our want's/desires upon others, are such things said.

What they are actually saying in all instances is, "I did what I 'believed' was the right thing to do."
"Its just programing" implies a programer. Please identify the programer. God? Evolution?
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

tbieter wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:

What do you think?

"Its just programing" implies a programer. Please identify the programer. God? Evolution?
That's a tough question isn't it, as there is no necessary definitive single answer? But a few might be, religion, society, parents, contemporaries, teachers, etc. Or any particular combination thereof. As an agnostic I don't really buy into the god angle, and I'm also a believer of nurture over nature, so the evolution angle is also suspect.

Obviously, usually, the goal of running a race is to either win or place, however simply staying active, can also be the goal, or camaraderie, or maybe just to participate, etc. Bailey possibly thought that crossing the finish line, by what ever means, was the number one goal. Such that for her to do as she did, obviously, says more about her than it does the runner she 'helped.' Not that I'm saying that she necessarily believes in cheating, as it could simply have been that her exuberance at being able to finish, and seeing one that appeared not to be capable, caused her to want to be even more of a winner, by carrying over two, or any other permutation thereof. It could have been a totally irrational response, that even she shall never be aware.

But one things for sure. In some way it served her.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

I'm currently studying the free will/determinism issue relative to a Minneapolis' determinist's educational project:
http://newsalemeducation.blogspot.com/2 ... mment-form

In my morning reading , I came upon the notion of 'conscience.' Whether you conceive the conscience to be a feeling, an act, a power, a faculty, a moral sense, or whatever, I suspect that the determinist must deny the existence of conscience because the action of conscience involves choice.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

tbieter wrote:I'm currently studying the free will/determinism issue relative to a Minneapolis' determinist's educational project:

In my morning reading , I came upon the notion of 'conscience.' Whether you conceive the conscience to be a feeling, an act, a power, a faculty, a moral sense, or whatever, I suspect that the determinist must deny the existence of conscience because the action of conscience involves choice.
..sigh! ..try read some real science articles, instead of these half witted talkative nonsense and babble. Determinism is an irrelevant subject, only for very naive and gullible people.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

HexHammer wrote:
tbieter wrote:I'm currently studying the free will/determinism issue relative to a Minneapolis' determinist's educational project:

..sigh! ..try read some real science articles, instead of these half witted talkative nonsense and babble. Determinism is an irrelevant subject, only for very naive and gullible people.
I agree . The concept of choice implies free will more or less.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

tbieter wrote: I agree . The concept of choice implies free will more or less.
Please be quiet, go sweep some streets, clean some toilets, help some homeless, do something useful! Philosphy is not for you!
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

HexHammer wrote:
tbieter wrote: I agree . The concept of choice implies free will more or less.
Please be quiet, go sweep some streets, clean some toilets, help some homeless, do something useful! Philosphy is not for you!
Why are you so hostile? Remember, the unexamined life is not worth living. Why are you so hostile to people on this forum?