abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory

Post by henry quirk »

Abortion: If Joanne is knocked up and wants to abort, then abort away!

One caveat: I ain't payin' for it.

If I didn't ride the rollercoaster: can't see why I gotta pay the price of the ticket.

#

Euthanasia: Seems to me if Old Man Caruthers wants to avoid gettin' off'd by the mercenary or the well-meaning, then Old Man Caruthers should avoid ever being in the position where the mercenary or well-meaning can exercise their will on him.

#

Genetic engineering: A non-issue if there ever was one. Folks have been mucking around with genetics since shortly after the first proto-human fell out of the tree...today: the mucking around is simply more precise, more directed.

One caveat: I like my genes 'as they are'...stay the hell away from me.

#

Just War theory: no such animal as a 'just war'...there's just 'war' (with reasons, rationales, and excuses made up along the way and after [by the winners]).
Bill Wiltrack

Re: abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theo

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

One thing, kind-of related.

Through the internet I was able to realize that the human population of the earth has jumped from 1 Billion to over 7 Billion in the last two HUNDRED years alone.

The earliest remnants of man have been found in the Rift Valley in Africa from about 175,000 years ago.

From that time to about 4,000 years ago mankind had a relatively stable population of around 100,000 - 700,000.

Guess what I'm getting at is the population of humans is skyrocketing - going just about straight-up if we could see it on a chart or graph.!

It's strange...

tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

One thing, kind-of related.

Through the internet I was able to realize that the human population of the earth has jumped from 1 Billion to over 7 Billion in the last two HUNDRED years alone.

The earliest remnants of man have been found in the Rift Valley in Africa from about 175,000 years ago.

From that time to about 4,000 years ago mankind had a relatively stable population of around 100,000 - 700,000.

Guess what I'm getting at is the population of humans is skyrocketing - going just about straight-up if we could see it on a chart or graph.!

It's strange...

The world's population started it's dramatic increase when people learned to irrigate land. City states could then develop anywhere there was a reliable source of water, rather than being dependent on flood plains. That's Organized Labor for you, Bill.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

The POWER of Organized Labor!

marjoramblues

Post by marjoramblues »

henry quirk wrote:Abortion: If Joanne is knocked up and wants to abort, then abort away!

One caveat: I ain't payin' for it.

If I didn't ride the rollercoaster: can't see why I gotta pay the price of the ticket.

#

Euthanasia: Seems to me if Old Man Caruthers wants to avoid gettin' off'd by the mercenary or the well-meaning, then Old Man Caruthers should avoid ever being in the position where the mercenary or well-meaning can exercise their will on him.

#

Genetic engineering: A non-issue if there ever was one. Folks have been mucking around with genetics since shortly after the first proto-human fell out of the tree...today: the mucking around is simply more precise, more directed.

One caveat: I like my genes 'as they are'...stay the hell away from me.

#

Just War theory: no such animal as a 'just war'...there's just 'war' (with reasons, rationales, and excuses made up along the way and after [by the winners]).
...and other hot topics :?:

What are the FAQs - and any wise craic on:
Business ethics; bioethics; moral standing and personhood; professional ethics; social ethics, distributive justice and environmental ethics; theory and application.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Business ethics: Buyer beware.

Bioethics: Leave me be, or I'll make you leave me be.

Moral standing: Eye of the beholder.

Personhood: 'I am'...restrain me at your own peril.

Professional ethics: Watch your back...keep your gun loaded.

Social ethics: Shifty and shifting...navigate them when you must; ignore them when you can.

Distributive justice: "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need" = poop.

Environmental ethics: Don't shit where you sleep.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Women can easily lie about the reason why they got pregnant, thus your way the liars are rewarded and the honest are punished.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"...your way the liars are rewarded and the honest are punished"

That's the way the world works 'now' (as it always has and always will).
HexHammer

Re:

Post by HexHammer »

henry quirk wrote:"...your way the liars are rewarded and the honest are punished"

That's the way the world works 'now' (as it always has and always will).
Not quite, in Denmark we skip the honesty/lie thing and offer ALL abortion option, save those who are in too late pregnancy.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Sounds like 'No-Fault' abortion, here in the US there is 'No-Fault' divorce, but I missed it.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Hex,

As I say up-thread: if Joanne is knocked up and wants to abort, then abort away!

Me: not caring' 'why' she got knocked up (rape, consensual sex, whatever).

I only object to havin' to pay for her procedure (if I didn't park my car in her garage, can't see how the status of her garage is my problem).
John K

Post by John K »

henry quirk wrote: Just War theory: no such animal as a 'just war'...there's just 'war' (with reasons, rationales, and excuses made up along the way and after [by the winners]).
So I'm not "justified" resisting the lunatics invading my peaceful country?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

justification is just a way to soothe the conscious of guilt ridden victors

-Imp
John K

Post by John K »

But what if my peaceful peasants prove victorious? Guilty of what?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"So I'm not "justified" resisting the lunatics invading my peaceful country?"

The only justification (not the same as justice) you need to resist invaders is your desire to not die, not be restrained, etc.

If you win: HOORAY!

If the invaders win : boo hoo for you.

No need to add a philosophical or moral dimension to that which is just commonsensical ('I don't wanna die, I don't wanna be restrained, etc.').

#

"justification is just a way to soothe the conscious of guilt ridden victors."

Maybe...more often, I think, it's less about 'guilt' and more about 'marketing'.

The winner of the 'good war' has a better time with other nations than the winner of (and the instigator of) the 'bad war'.