~ Ethics Applied ~

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Re: ~ Ethics Applied ~

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:Again, this thread was an experiment by me to see how other members viewed the GIF I provided in the original post.
What was the purpose or expected outcome of this 'experiment'? If you didn't have one then I think it just wishful thinking upon your part.
I don't want to lose sight of that.
This allows you to excuse yourself from ethical considerations? many a 'scientist' has said as such.
If you see minors sexually displaying themselves then that's what you see.
No, I see someone asking them to display their boobs or the chick gets it.
At this point I won't say if that is right or wrong.

At this point, there isn't a right or a wrong.
Then what point your ethics?
A lot of character, a lot of ethics applied has been discussed within this thread already.

Unfortunately, not a lot of applied ethics has been discerned.[/size]
By who, you? If so then you are missing that I'm applying ethics to your post, i.e. I'm questioning why you appear to be re-promoting what many would consider unethical behaviour, i.e. threats to coerce sexual activity from minors.
When it comes to ethics, to knowledge, to basic necessities? Don't we all apply ethics as a way to cover for what we do?[/size]
Dur! What do you think living by your ethics means? So if we applied them we'd not be covering anything. Are all you saying is that some people are unethical given they don't live to their espoused ethics?
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

..........................................Image

When we think about it, aren't we all like this monkey within this GIF?

When it comes to ethics, to knowledge, to basic necessities? Don't we all apply ethics as a way to cover for what we do?

..........................................................................................

For instance:

If you see blackmail with the intent to get minors to sexually display themselves in this GIF, perhaps that thought is already inside of you, inside your sights.

You pounce upon that thought; that image.

Morally, you know others will see that as wrong, so you attack that perception within your self.

So, the monkey sees food; something of desire, in it's sights.

It pounces upon it.

Then quickly makes off.

Perhaps, if the monkey could speak, he would accuse another of eating the insect...perhaps.

Or seeing what he sees.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

I feel another bout of deja vu coming on.

You think if you keep saying the same thing it becomes truer?
Bill Wiltrack wrote:When we think about it, aren't we all like this monkey within this GIF?
In what sense?
When it comes to ethics, to knowledge, to basic necessities? Don't we all apply ethics as a way to cover for what we do?[/size]
You are assuming that like you everyone is unethical.
For instance:

If you see blackmail with the intent to get minors to sexually display themselves in this GIF, perhaps that thought is already inside of you, inside your sights.

You pounce upon that thought; that image.

Morally, you know others will see that as wrong, so you attack that perception within your self.
Save your psychobabble attempt at headfucks for those who are as fragile and confused as yourself.
What interpretation do you put on,
"boobs or I move him closer"
"no boobs"
sorry I'm doing it"?
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I'm not sure what more you want me to say.

Respectfully, take a look again at my immediately prior post.

I think there is something inside of you that another personality within you has now, thanks to this thread, been made aware of.

That other you inside of you is now covering, perhaps even faintly attacking.

This may be painful for a while but eventually you will be better for what I have publicly shown you and the rest of the active members here at Philosophy Now Forums.

Thank you.

...and you are welcomed.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:I'm not sure what more you want me to say.
Your interpretation of the words would be nice. I can think of a fairly innocent one, can you?
I think there is something inside of you that another personality within you has now, thanks to this thread, been made aware of.

That other you inside of you is now covering, perhaps even faintly attacking.

This may be painful for a while but eventually you will be better for what I have publicly shown you and the rest of the active members here at Philosophy Now Forums.
Save your psychobabble for yourself, you need it.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I encourage you to take another look at what I have told you.

Take a serious look at it again...

You'll thank me later.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:I encourage you to take another look at what I have told you.
I'd prefer to hear your interpretation of the words attached to your clip.
Take a serious look at it again...
I take a serious look the first-time around.
You'll thank me later.
Very doubtful.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

What is it you find so hard about answering a question about your thoughts?
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

You remind me of this guy...

.............................................................................................................

I feel like you want to come out. You have the initial desire to be normal.

Then something happens.

Once again you metaphorically retreat behind that door.

That door of fear & hate.

Come out...

Come out. COME OUT!

WHEREVER YOU ARE!

...I don't want to be rude but I really don't have the will for this.

You're diggin into my FUCKING ASSHOLE and then you complain if you think you found some shit.

This isn't needed.

This isn't philosophy.

And what is worst - THIS BULLSHIT AIN'T INTERESTING.

You are scaring fellow members & they are afraid to post.

This ain't right...

Think about it.

Look, I like you. You're probably a good man...but you are demeaning yourself and it is becoming uncomfortable to watch this.

You can change.

I know you can do it.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:You remind me of this guy...
How uninteresting.
I feel like you want to come out. You have the initial desire to be normal.

Then something happens.

Once again you metaphorically retreat behind that door.
Again with your 'feelings'. :roll:
That door of fear & hate.
I thought it two sides of a coin? What does this make the coin by the way?
Come out...
You misunderstand me, I'm already loud and proud and its philosophy thats my love. This is why I find myself irritated at those deride it and who speak much about what they can't be bothered to learn about.
Come out. COME OUT!
WHEREVER YOU ARE!
Like I've said, your subconscious is calling you.

...I don't want to be rude but I really don't have the will for this.
Again like I've said, you have too fragile an ego to involve yourself in philosophy.
You're diggin into my FUCKING ASSHOLE and then you complain if you think you found some shit.
See what I mean? You consider someone asking you questions about your thoughts and assertions to be some kind of invasive act.

I also think your subconscious is YELLING a message at you.
This isn't needed.

This isn't philosophy.
Yes, it is. But since you've not bothered to read any of those who have been called the philosophers I can't expect you to understand. You also appear not to realise that Philosophy is also a subject in its own right and it would behoove you to actually learn a little before you spout your cod opinions about it.
And what is worst - THIS BULLSHIT AIN'T INTERESTING.
Ah! Boo-Boos.
You are scaring fellow members & they are afraid to post.
LMFAO, given your recent posts to Miguelinileugim. Driven no doubt by your 'feelings' and emotional response to your time on this other philosophy board you yakked about.
This ain't right...

Think about it.
I have and do.
Look, I like you. You're probably a good man...but you are demeaning yourself and it is becoming uncomfortable to watch this.
KMA.
You can change.

I know you can do it.
I really think you should be applying this to yourself and what ever it is that ails you.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

OK look

What is your problem with me?

We are two souls a half a world away brought together by an invisible thread, a miracle.

I am a philosopher.

I put my fucking life on the line for my philosophical beliefs.

What do you want from me?

You want me to read more books?

Ain't gunna happen.

I'm at the age where I have nothing left to say.

I don't can about being right or wrong.

I don't care about words.

I want to feel the other side.

Do you understand that?

That is my philosophy.

If you don't understand, you're just someplace else.

I can't care.

So, you can have your words.

You can win your arguments.

You're short. As long as you have them.

You're short.

artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

Hi Bill,

I started reading my favorite book again, "Fear and Trembling" by Kierkegaard, and I happened upon something in the preface that reminded me of your last reply...

"In an age where passion has been done away with for the sake of science he easily foresees his fate-in an age when an author who wants readers must be careful to write in a way that he can be sure to present himself to the world like the polite gardeners boy in the Advertiser who, hat in hand and with good references from his previous place of employment, recommends himself to a much esteemed public. He foresees his fate will be to be completely ignored: has a dreadful foreboding that the scourge of zealous criticism will more than once make itself felt; and shuddered at what terrifies him even more, that some enterprising recorder, a paragraph swallower who to the rescue learning is always willing to do to others' writings what, to '[preserve good taste, Trop nobly did to The Destruction of the Human Race, will slice him into sections as ruthlessly as the man who, in the service of the science of punctuation, divided up his speech by counting the words and putting a full stop after every fifty and a semi colon after every thirty-five. "

Hi Arising,

I think you are a very bright fellow...which is why I don't understand why you waste your time on Bill. The only thing I can think is you are trying to help him communicate better...which is admirable. However, Bill is who he is and he is not going to change. You seem to be hitting your head against a brick wall. It would be like trying to get a severely mentally handicapped person to be able to not only understand Einstein's Theory of relativity but to go further. There are bigger battles to fight, I would think.

I don't understand the concept of trying to change people in an orderly fashion in order to benefit the world by having a similar language when the task is impossible. There are not enough lifetimes to do so and in the end...there are no guarantees that your vast understanding and capabilities in language would necessarily help the world be a better even if you could educate the entire population to communicate like you.

It just seems to me you are bullying someone who either has no clue what you are telling him or knows what you are telling him and is damned and determined to do the opposite if what you say if only to be "original".

I guess what my question is is, why bother with Bill when he just doesn't care...for whatever reason?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

OK look

What is your problem with me?
I have no problem with you per se. I have no problem with your posts here. I have an issue with your ill-informed views upon the subject Philosophy, your anti-intellectualism and your refusal, upon a philosophy forum, to discuss or consider others thoughts about your posts.
We are two souls a half a world away brought together by an invisible thread, a miracle.
No, technology invented by those who value reason and thought.
I am a philosopher.
So you say.
I put my fucking life on the line for my philosophical beliefs.
In what sense?
What do you want from me?
Some considered replies to others questions about your thoughts. A cessation of commenting about a subject you've not bothered to study.
You want me to read more books?
You've read some?
Ain't gunna happen.
No surprise there.
I'm at the age where I have nothing left to say.
And yet you keep posting what you say are questions?
I don't can about being right or wrong.
Then its politics or religion not Philosophy for you. Although its not right or wrong but true or false and consistent and valid.
I don't care about words.
Did you ever?
I want to feel the other side.
Of what?
Do you understand that?
No.
That is my philosophy.
Nope, thats your existential angst.
If you don't understand, you're just someplace else.
Probably.
I can't care.
Of course you can.
So, you can have your words.
Not yours to give.
You can win your arguments.
We've not had any so far. In the main I just ask you questions.
You're short. As long as you have them.
Of what?
You're short.
6' 2" actually.

From someone who claims to not know anything, to not know themselves, to be depressed I think you the one lacking stature.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

artisticsolution wrote:Hi Arising,

I think you are a very bright fellow...which is why I don't understand why you waste your time on Bill. The only thing I can think is you are trying to help him communicate better...which is admirable. However, Bill is who he is and he is not going to change. You seem to be hitting your head against a brick wall. It would be like trying to get a severely mentally handicapped person to be able to not only understand Einstein's Theory of relativity but to go further. There are bigger battles to fight, I would think.
I'm not trying to help him. I think his posts fine. I'm questioning his cod philosophy, his anti-intellectualism and his deriding of reading and the subject of philosophy upon a philosophy forum. All these things are already in abundance upon the weeb.
I don't understand the concept of trying to change people in an orderly fashion in order to benefit the world by having a similar language when the task is impossible. There are not enough lifetimes to do so and in the end...there are no guarantees that your vast understanding and capabilities in language would necessarily help the world be a better even if you could educate the entire population to communicate like you.
It may not be a better place but at least people would be clear about why. I'm not trying to benefit the world, just those who are interested in Philosophy and hence come to a philosophy forum. As such I cannot leave unquestioned certain assertions.
It just seems to me you are bullying someone who either has no clue what you are telling him or knows what you are telling him and is damned and determined to do the opposite if what you say if only to be "original".
I think he can be as 'original' as he likes. I think he well understands my point. I think he's actually trying to become a gnu and thats fine as well, but as long as he posts upon a philosophy forum he will find that others will raise questions about his thoughts and their purpose.
I guess what my question is is, why bother with Bill when he just doesn't care...for whatever reason?
I don't talk for his sake as I think despite his facade he has an agenda and I wish to show how a philosophical vein of mind explores such things. As all I do is either ask a question about anothers thought, state my own or give what I receive. That it may be viewed as bullying makes me think that peoples egos may be too fragile for the subject of philosophy. Now it might be that Bill is just using this forum to try and solve his mental issues but in that case then I think he should be seeing a shrink not posting here. Ok, ok! I understand that this could be applied to all but in that case I think he should at least refrain from deriding what he can't be bothered to learn and have at least the courtesy to either answer a question or at least think about it and refrain from trying to head-fuck the other with his cod psycho-babble, especially since he appears so bad at it and can't take it himself.