Equality

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

SpheresOfBalance

Re: Equality

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Remember that when considering equality/inequality, there is a sequence. One has to sense difference, before they can assign it a value, not the other way around, such that there is no inequality in difference, rather, only ever, difference in inequality.

If one says there is equality or inequality, they equally make either case so, first and foremost in their own mind, then everyone elses, as it's a self serving ride.

Value is arbitrary, conditional, a matter of perspective. We are "all" of the universe, yet "no" human knows of a single universal value.

One that assigns values of inequality, only does so, so as to rationalize their own value, yet all they really have to do, is pay really close attention to the universe, to find it, and that scares a great many people to "death," "fear the mind killer!"

Flight From Death: The Quest for Immortality
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:Remember that when considering equality/inequality, there is a sequence. One has to sense difference, before they can assign it a value, not the other way around, such that there is no inequality in difference, rather, only ever, difference in inequality.]

Just, no. a difference in equality IS inequality. There is no difference IN inequality. That makes no sense.
500 people have equal access to X. the remaining 100 persons experience inequality in access to X, whereas the 500 have the equality that the 100 seek.
The 500 have no inequality so they have not a difference IN inequality; that is absurd.
SpheresOfBalance

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:Remember that when considering equality/inequality, there is a sequence. One has to sense difference, before they can assign it a value, not the other way around, such that there is no inequality in difference, rather, only ever, difference in inequality.]

Just, no.
Context/comprehension problem I figure.

a difference in equality IS inequality.
Yes, I never said otherwise!

There is no difference IN inequality. That makes no sense.
You change my words around to appease your sense of what I said; understandable.

500 people have equal access to X.
OK

the remaining 100 persons experience inequality in access to X,
So there's 600, OK.

whereas the 500 have the equality that the 100 seek.
Equality with respect to access, OK.

The 500 have no inequality
With respect to access, Yes

so they have not a difference IN inequality;
Double negative, but I don't understand what you're raving about, as I never said as you have. Do you understand context?

that is absurd.
I agree, what you said was absurd, indeed!

I was attempting to point everyone to "values," which are arbitrary, conditional, without standards (that which assures compliance to exacting quantities). One's values are the problem, as they decide for "themselves," and then "project" upon "another!" It's an illusion, as we are not "necessarily" cut from the same "value" mold. Programmed anyone? You may value a golden cane, and I one of titanium, then who shall win in a cane fight? While you profess that it's aesthetics that you value the golden cane, and I only see it should be melted down to form the least corrosive electrical contacts, thus assuring conductivity, with the least maintenance/most reliability. Values are like assholes, as everyone has a slightly, ever varying, version; they're a product of knowledge or lack there of, and understanding, how about choices, selfishness and selflessness; should I go on?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

SpheresOfBalance wrote: I was attempting . should I go on?
Um????

Odd this one has taken so long to crop up.
SpheresOfBalance

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Um????

Come again? Why change my quote? A quote is a quote after all.

It would seem that we both have abandoned our argument quite some time ago. I do come and go from time to time, but unless this site disappears, sooner or later I shall probably always return.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Um????

Come again? Why change my quote? A quote is a quote after all.

It would seem that we both have abandoned our argument quite some time ago. I do come and go from time to time, but unless this site disappears, sooner or later I shall probably always return.
You really want me to answer that question?