taxonomy of signalling turns

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

taxonomy of signalling turns

Post by Advocate »

There are three levels of concern with using turn signals

People always need to know if you're going to move into their way.
It is sometimes necessary to know that you're not going to move into their way.
It is sometimes helpful to know that you're getting out of their way.

Best practice for all human activity is an active, mindful choice in all situations.

In traffic, attention is limited. To know whether you're going to get into someone's way is typically obvious but in an urban setting distractions and oversight are much more likely.

In urban situations it's best practice to automate signalling at all times to overcome that deficit.
Impenitent

Re: taxonomy of signalling turns

Post by Impenitent »

automated signaling is traffic lights...

Steve Winwood's road crew doesn't count

-Imp
Walker

Post by Walker »

The first level of concern is that you might give a cop just cause to detain you and search your vehicle if you don't use a turn signal. He could be the one right behind you. This is why you should check to see if your tail lights are working, because a broken left tail light is sometimes not an accident. Such is life in a police state.
alan1000

Post by alan1000 »

Are you ahead of the other driver, or behind? Or alongside? Is it a question of changeing lanes on a multi-lane highway, or turning at a junction? Is the other vehicle of similar mass and performance, or a vehicle of significantly slower response capability (eg a semi-trailer?)

And how does ethics come into it, as opposed to straightforward logical procedure?
Walker

Post by Walker »

alan1000 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:06 pm Are you ahead of the other driver, or behind? Or alongside? Is it a question of changeing lanes on a multi-lane highway, or turning at a junction? Is the other vehicle of similar mass and performance, or a vehicle of significantly slower response capability (eg a semi-trailer?)

And how does ethics come into it, as opposed to straightforward logical procedure?
I always signal. When towing the caravan I'm most times given a lot of polite room by folks from coast to coast because of my signaling. They see the signal and respond politely, suddenly it's not all about rushing, not all about them. When I signal without the caravan, often the signal is the go-light for someone to try and get ahead by ignoring the signal and accelerating, to get somewhere a second earlier.

On US interstates, traffic runs in packs with spaces in between. If you're on a motorcycle you have the acceleration to ride in between the packs where there is little danger from idiot drivers pecking on the cell phones, who may not see you or drift into your lane. Motorcycles should probably have hard-wired flashers, the multi-signal.

Riding between the packs is a peaceful place, like the stillness between thoughts that can be a little or a lot.
Last edited by Walker on Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walker

Post by Walker »

On a three-lane highway the real danger is in two vehicles on the outside lane simultaenously signaling to the inside lane, and both not noticing (or caring) that each is then drifting towards the other on a side-swiping, paint-trading collision course. It's enough for just one of them to notice and change.

The other day while exiting a parking lot I saw the car in front of me cut off a car that was turning in. The car turning in had to completely stop in the oncoming lane he was crossing, and his signal was flashing. He did all the right moves, he had the right of way.

What was quite noticeable was that the guy was in the car by himself, and he went absolutely nuts. Banging his hands on the steering wheel, screaming, then after the offender was out of his way he raced into the parking lot as fast he could, tires squealing. I thought ... holy cow. Stress or drugs, maybe stress caused by drugs. The guy really needed a dose of fast food.

He thought that all his good intentions of obeying the rules and using his signal gave him the right to go ape when some nitwit treated him unfairly, in a way that could have harmed him physically. (I read his intentions from his face and actions.) That's the wrong ethic.

He thought wrong.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Turn signals are rarely used in the American cities where I’ve lived. Rural drivers tend to be more courteous:
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

The big, dark green truck was speeding, I'd say doing 100 mph on this freeway, the one I'm on in my grey car, cruising at 70 mph. The big, dsrk green truck, it was impressive, was not alone - following it were about 90 identical big, dark green trucks. The convoy was late, obviously. I could see all of 'em because the road curved broadly to the left. It was 5ish, dark clouds, light rain. As the lead big, dark green truck and I approached each other, something didn't feel right. Then it happened. Suddenly, one side of the leader tipped twoards the tarmac, the right bumper touched down, sparks, sparks, flying in all directions. Something caught and the big, dark green truck pivoted and the whole body, rear-first, began to flip forwards, a bubble of sharp metal, glass, and jagged plastic began to expand from ground zero. The other big, dark green trucks rammed into the wreckage of the leader as it slowed down; one by one, and in about 10 seconds, the convoy ceased to be. People would be forgiven if they mistook the sight of 90 totalled big, green trucks for a train crash. The bumper went through my windshield and, as luck would have it, through me. I'm dead, happily dead, in a car, somewhere among the 90 big, dark green trucks. Requiescat in pace.