HUMAN PERSONHOOD - THE CASE AGAINST ABORTION

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

uwot

Re: HUMAN PERSONHOOD - THE CASE AGAINST ABORTION

Post by uwot » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:06 pm

henry quirk wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:05 pm
Well, I like stuff: motorbikes, beer, hospitals, holidays and whatnot, and I don't mind paying the people who design and make all that happen.
Me too.
I don't care for the fact that a whack of what I pay for something goes to people who had fuck all to do with making it.
I probably agreed, but you'll have to name the parasites before I can do so without reservation.
Monarchs, aristocrats, plutocrats, oligarchs, popes, priests and ayatollahs; basically any despot who ultimately threatens or uses force to maintain their wealth and power.
henry quirk wrote:
If that makes me a commie, as you define it, then yeah, I'm a commie, though it's not something I'd call myself.
So far you don't seem very commie.
To be honest, neither economics nor politics are my field, but as I said, I don't think I am a commie. I do know that Charlie Marx urged the workers to forcibly seizing control of the means of production: land, factories, natural resources, which effectively is what America did in 1776; even as a Brit, I think that was entirely justified and still think it was mistake to let the aristocracy and monarchy back in after our own revolution. I don't have a problem with people owning stuff if they have acquired it honestly through hard work. What I object to is elites using their influence and power to hoover up anything worthwhile and manipulate the law so that the majority of people have to pay them for the stuff they have stolen, and then hysterically scream 'Commie!' at anyone who challenges them. It seems to me that they have persuaded enough people that any restriction on the 'rights' of the elite to treat the proles as a commodity, is an assault on the freedom of the proles to be treated as a commodity.
henry quirk wrote:
Who knows? The fact that there is a universe, life and consciousness is so bonkers that no explanation and no possibility is so ridiculous that it couldn't be true.
Agreed, so: I'll keep a candle burnin' for Odin's Hall.
Does it have motorbikes? If not, I'm off to some other place.

henry quirk

Re: HUMAN PERSONHOOD - THE CASE AGAINST ABORTION

Post by henry quirk » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:15 pm

"Monarchs, aristocrats, plutocrats, oligarchs, popes, priests and ayatollahs; basically any despot who ultimately threatens or uses force to maintain their wealth and power."

I see that as a very libertarian position.

#

"I do know that Charlie Marx urged the workers to forcibly seizing control of the means of production: land, factories, natural resources, which effectively is what America did in 1776"

That's not right. The rebels didn't take English assets; they got out from under English governance. Joe the farmer didn't steal his farmland from the Crown; he told the Crown it no longer had a say over his farmland.

Marx is exactly the wrong place to go when it comes to America severing ties with England.

#

"I don't have a problem with people owning stuff if they have acquired it honestly through hard work."

As long as no one was unjustly deprived of life, liberty, or property, I don't give a flip about what the other guy has.

#

"What I object to is elites using their influence and power to hoover up anything worthwhile and manipulate the law so that the majority of people have to pay them for the stuff they have stolen, and then hysterically scream 'Commie!' at anyone who challenges them."

This is the drawback to state-sponsored capitalism. The proper solution, of course, is to remove the big stick of government from the equation (in context, the only role of government [as proxy] is as contract arbiter of last resort, not as enforcer of station). That is: I favor free enterprise as the solution.

#

"It seems to me that they have persuaded enough people that any restriction on the 'rights' of the elite to treat the proles as a commodity, is an assault on the freedom of the proles to be treated as a commodity."

The solution, again, is to hobble the governors, remove the big stick, force the economic elite to compete without gov protections and gov favor. A lot of folks, motivated by envy, want to cripple the elites, which is dumb. Just take away the buffers they enjoy. The crafty will stay rich honestly; and the less crafty will lose wealth. Let every man compete, let the customers decide.

#

Odin's Hall: "Does it have motorbikes?"

I imagine so. I know it has shotguns (my toy of choice).