Is Life Art?

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Blaggard

Re: Is Life Art?

Post by Blaggard »

If life is art it's painted by a mad man, a confused fool and an idiot, and often colour blind and completely unaware of the medium of aesthetics or culture therein. If life is art, it's a painting by moron I think, an unimaginative one at that. With probably learning difficulties and a penchant for rape.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Life is art in the sense that it is experience, art intentionally evokes a particular experience in the viewer.
Last edited by popeye1945 on Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

These artsy folks are loco. Look at that, it's just a bloody dot, and that, that my 3 year old cousin could draw it and better, and this, this really takes the cake, I found somethin' exactly like this - same colors, same shapes, same paper, same everythin' - in Rico's trash. Do you know who Rico is? No, you don't wanna know, you really don't wanna know who Rico is!
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Art is experience, the creation of art is the creation of an experience, the intention most often is the beautiful, but art can embrace the not so beautiful, as part and parcel of the reality of existence. The further away from the beautiful, the further away the subject is to remaining in existence, as it falls into chaos, and back into potential. Is life art? Experience is life, and art is an object experience. As subject and object stand or fall together, the two constitute apparent reality. Apparent reality is the world of objects/beings, art is a celebration of being/objects as subjectively experienced.
Last edited by popeye1945 on Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Life is a construct of molecules in the form we term DNA. What that construct constructs can be construed as 'art'. But no, life is not art.
jasonlava

Post by jasonlava »

Bill Wiltrack wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:29 pm .

In the raw, art could be described as something that has no apparent end.

As with science or math, there is an accepted answer to any logical question.

Art however is different.

In art there is no accepted end. All is open for judgement. Open for pleasure. Open for excitement or awe.

If we believe we live eternally or if we believe we repeat our lives over and over again.

Are we not, by our nature, truly artists?

.................................................Image

I believe life is art only if you want to see it that way.
nemos

Post by nemos »

Art is a means of expression - to express your feelings and emotions, all the things that logic fails to do. For example, how to represent intonation or emotional background in written texts.

So if we accept that the world was created by a god, then perhaps in this context it can be seen as artificially created, or as a work of art in which a god talks to us, or to someone else, possibly a god too or the devil as his eternal opponent.

Of course each of us is also the creator of our own lives, so under a certain angle each of us can be seen as artists, and our lives as works of art.
Walker

Post by Walker »

jasonlava wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:02 pm I believe life is art only if you want to see it that way.
I think you're right.

Performance Art is an imitation of life, and it's art because elevated attention and energy are required to consciously enter into and maintain the continuity of whatever role a situation requires to participate in Performance Art.

When one applies the same level of attention and energy to every movement and moment, then one is living life as art, and one tends to move with the relaxed, unhurried precision of a full-mane'ed lion.

Who would have the will and dedication to live all their life as performance art? Answer: One without a choice, like a lion.

When all of life's illusions and beliefs are shattered, one has no choice but to live life as art, in order to take the next step.

It's called mindfulness, and without mindfulness one is limited, and banned from enlightenment. Every good abstract expressionist was first a good realist, figuratively if not literally.

Eventually one rides the winds of wu wei and hollers wee wee wee, all the way home free. :lol:
Walker

Post by Walker »

Give the credit to God.

S.D.G.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipzR9bhei_o
Walker

Post by Walker »

Have listened to this many times (over the decades!): a good tune for carpentry and painting.
The vibrations are in my bones now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddbxFi3-UO4
Walker

Post by Walker »

Functional Art:

These large fellows guard the Freer Gallery interior. They stand at the end of a hallway with their backs to the wall. They are Guardians of the treasures where we visit, but not recently. I have actually dared to stand before them.