doolhoofd wrote: ↑
Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:46 pm
gaffo wrote: ↑
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:04 am
I esp like verse 13 - laughed out loud over that part, and verse 19 and the last vers 20 was fabuous in it bleak truth/and the rhyme to send the message home ;-/.
The world's richest 1% get 82% of the wealth, according to Oxfam. The NGO has produced similar reports for the past five years. In 2017 it calculated that the world's eight richest individuals had as much wealth as the poorest half of the world.
yes, i know (in otherwords "trickle down" is not reality (nor is the bullshit of "it i work my ass off i'll become an billionaire too).
US Standard of living has FALLEN since 1973!!!!!!!!!!!! - that was a long time ago!
since that time we had the 60-percent middle class shrink to 40?/35? - 9.6 out of 10 have gone from middle class to "underclass" lower class. .4? or so - so what? 4 out of 1000? moved up to upperclass. great! - not a an asshat, but what about the rest that moved out of the middle class to the lower class?
- silence - about them. instead just the usual american dream "you can succeed if you work hard"
1. yes, sometimes, more times 50 yrs ago than today (those that recite that mantra ignore this fact!) i.e. there is something wrong here since 73, and neither political parties are seeing (or more aptly see it but use diversion tactics because they have no answer (I don't either BTW) - Republicans just say "work harder" and you will make it. Dems just say "fixate on LGBTQ's and ignore anything else including your nosediving living standards.
2. sadly, i do not think there is a "fix" - for Globalism DOES raise the standards of living of all 3-rd nations (so i affirm Globalism - it does lift Bangalis from literally starving to death to at least allowing them to become one of the underclass, and so enough to eat).
3. Fact is globalism is good globally (and I'm a Humanist - so not tribal, though do think "western ideals" (john Locke/etc is THE WAY) - so in otherwords if Botswana when out of her way to affirm said ideals, and America (I'm an American BTW) turned here back on those ideals, i would renounce my Americanism in spirit and become a Botswanan. I'm a Patriot- not due the land my nation controls, but due to the gov/constitution it affirms (less so lately - when it leaves said Constitution is when i will have to choose the better (the latter - and no longer care about "America and the land she controls" - and move to another nation that affirms the concepts my nation no longer values. of coure i may not be able to - due to imigration laws of said other nation................so there is that too. might be stuck as a "Patriot" who no longer loves America, but is stuck here.
4. hope i don't end up in that senario.
thanks for reply BTW.