CulturalPhilistine - Adam Lanza

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

helevete000

CulturalPhilistine - Adam Lanza

Post by helevete000 »

When you read the subject title, I know what you might be thinking: "What the hell, why is this person talking about a school shooter in a philosophy forum, someone ban this person immediently!" and you have a point, why am I talking about Lanza on this forum?

Lanza ran a youtube channel called "CulturalPhilistine" in which the videos were rants about certain topics such as philosophy, pedophilia, and culture. A certain video uploaded called "Antinatalism at light speed!" was brought to my attention. He doesnt talk about Antinatalism but he instead talks about existential nihilism. The transcript for the video is:
- "Goodness is the fulfilment of value; value exists only in life. If there is no life, there is no value. And thus, goodness becomes an entirely irrelevant concept."

If you do not give yourself a reality to be apart of, then there is no value to it. Nihilism is the position of absolute nothingness, everything around an individual is pointless; every emotion, action, belief, is all a waste. But then you realize that when you talk about nihilism and promoting it, you are putting value into nihilism, you are believing in the nothingness that is nihilism.

So maybe the question is: Can nihilism be considered "something"? Can an individual that is in favor of nihilism, feel value?

The answer? I dont know.
promethean75

Re: CulturalPhilistine - Adam Lanza

Post by promethean75 »

nihilism is one of those abstract philosophical concepts that can't be applied to anything becuz we are constantly valuing something, somehow, somewhere. that's to say we can't do nihilism, we can only talk about it abstractly. really becuz u are unable to experience Meaninglessness with a capital M cuz there are little meanings everyfuckinwhere and we can't get away from em for even an instant.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

"I knew you were sick. No calls, not at the office, not at the park playin' checkers with Paul, not at the gym too" said Herz to Gascoigne. "Yeah, I've got Covid-19. Tested positive yesterday. Aaargh, my back, it hurts so bad. You shouldn't be here", replied Gascoigne, weakly. "Nonsense! I'm not afraid of this, this, cold that's been on the news day in day out, 24×7. I came ta cheer you up. Here, some flowers and I also got ya some fresh mandarins, all the way from India the lady said," boomed Herz. "Mandarins, eh?" spoke Gascoigne in a playful tone as he looked into the brown bag, "these are tomatoes!!"
probableliquid

Post by probableliquid »

That is to suggest that we cannot practise nihilismgeometry dash lite, but can only engage in theoretical discussions of it. Because you can't feel Meaninglessness (capital M)?
mistyavila

Post by mistyavila »

Since humans are constantly assigning values to things, nihilism is one of those philosophical concepts that is too abstract to be applied to anything. that is to say, we cannot practice nihilism; we can only analyze it in an abstract manner.
poly track
anniesteuber

Post by anniesteuber »

Nihilism is a philosophical perspective that holds the belief in the absence of inherent meaning or value in life. The transcript you provided touches on the concept of value and goodness in relation to life.